Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Fly UA but put miles in Singapore FF# - am I missing anything?

Fly UA but put miles in Singapore FF# - am I missing anything?

Old Apr 17, 17, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
What am I missing fly UA using KrisFlyer # for Singapore

I have a new gig and fly many many miles. Sadly my company won't fly us business but in the interest of profit book the cheapest economy flight we can.

For my schedule UA offers the most flexibility but since its the cheapest ticket the miles I get are horrendous, more than horrendous fly 6000 and sometimes get 600, what a program

I discovered that Singapore evidently gives 100% credit, seems TGTB fly UA economy but use alliance and Singapore FF to get 100%, even though Singapore rewards miles requirements are higher I am still way ahead given the huge difference in miles credit versus miles flown on UA versus fly UA and get FF credit on UA. On mileage tables it says for every UA miles I fly Singapore gives 100% credit. So I'm thinking of swapping and flying UA but under KirsFlyer#, am I missing anything?
Old Apr 17, 17, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
I have a new gig and fly many many miles. Sadly my company won't fly us business but in the interest of profit book the cheapest economy flight we can.

For my schedule UA offers the most flexibility but since its the cheapest ticket the miles I get are horrendous, more than horrendous fly 6000 and sometimes get 600, what a program

I discovered that Singapore evidently gives 100% credit, seems TGTB fly UA economy but use alliance and Singapore FF to get 100%, even though Singapore rewards miles requirements are higher I am still way ahead given the huge difference in miles credit versus miles flown on UA versus fly UA and get FF credit on UA. On mileage tables it says for every UA miles I fly Singapore gives 100% credit. So I'm thinking of swapping and flying UA but under KirsFlyer#, am I missing anything?
1) Krisflyer miles expire 3 years after you earn/acquire them. You can pay to extend them once for six months, but that's it.

UA miles don't expire as long as you have activity on the account every 18 months

2) united treats their united silver better than star alliance silver(alliance status for Krisflyer silver). United silver gets free economy plus upgrade at check-in, star alliance silver or gold doesn't get that.

If you don't fly enough to earn status, then point #2 is moot
Old Apr 17, 17, 6:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
SQ is a good program to credit miles to from UA as you mentioned. However, if you credit to SQ you won't be working towards Premier status with United (which increases the multiplier for RDMs earned). Additionally, no status means no Economy+ benefits.

If your only goal is to bank miles, then this is a good option.
Old Apr 17, 17, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
So I'm thinking of swapping and flying UA but under KirsFlyer#, am I missing anything?
Keep in mind that KrisFlyer miles expire three years after they're earned, regardless of activity, so this plan only makes sense if you'll be able to redeem them regularly.

Also, SQ may change their program at any time; if you decide to go this route, keep in mind that you may get halfway toward an award and find that the rules change out from underneath you.
Old Apr 17, 17, 8:16 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Also, SQ may change their program at any time; if you decide to go this route, keep in mind that you may get halfway toward an award and find that the rules change out from underneath you.
This.

Keep in mind that SQ could change their earning rate tomorrow and leave you with less than what you could get with UA (or other programs) that currently have lower rates.

Consider status advantages, mile expiration and miles redemption too: There's no point in getting 100% of miles, that you won't be able to spend (either because you have too little or because there's no availability fitting your needs).
Old Apr 17, 17, 8:29 am

Programs: United Gold (Million Miler), Alaska MVP Gold
This thread is interesting. Next year I'll bump over 1 million on United and won't need to apply miles for status.

From that point forward it might be a good idea to credit to Kris Flyer. I'll have status and accrue miles.
Old Apr 17, 17, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
I maintain SQ PPS each year because I fly quite often on SQ and consider it the best airlines in terms of onboard services.

After giving a lot of thoughts on whether I should credit all my non-UA *A activities to Krisflyer vs credit everything to UA ( I do about 120K BIS on non-UA *A flights per year), I came to the conclusion that Krisflyer was not for me.

1. Miles expire after 3 years
2. Huge surcharges on awards redemptions
3. Difficult to change award tickets after issuance
4. UA multiplier gives me more RDMs
5. Earn additional RPUs and GPUs when I consolidate all activities in one account.
6. Krisflyer service is not as good M+

Based on the above, I have been creditng my SQ $ to Krisflyer to maintain PPS status, and all SQ and non-UA *A flights still credit to UA M+.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Apr 17, 17 at 3:49 pm
Old Apr 17, 17, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.. I have to think hard about the three year expiration, I do fly a lot probabaly will be close to 250 k real miles but to watch them expire would also be tragic.

I have gotten the plus upgrade and that perk alone hasn't convince yet to stay with UA, plus all the recent press either.
Old Apr 17, 17, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

All, thanks for your very good information to consider!

I could do 250k this year between PDX and PVG, and with DL partnership expiring with AS need other. I am already silver on UA but anytime I can accumulate to AS have flown Hainan or DL

Just trying to find the best value for all my suffering.
Old Apr 17, 17, 5:44 pm

you should check the fare class too

United basic economy (fare class N) doesn't earn anything on SQ
http://www.wheretocredit.com/united-airlines/n

(obviously check out the other airlines as well)
Old Apr 17, 17, 7:48 pm

How much more of UA do you envision yourself flying?

Flying UA and crediting to UA also increases your lifetime miles. If you are getting anywhere near 1 million miles, then you can get lifetime UA gold (subject to any further devaluations). 250k gets you 1/4 way there.

Economy plus might not seem that great, but there is usually more empty seats around in economy plus than in regular economy. (My experiences have mostly been pre-merger). Economy can be packed full, while economy plus can only be half full. Also, I've had 1 operational upgrade to business on UA silver, though I believe now it is very difficult to get upgrade (by miles or GPU), let alone the op ups. Recent experience in Economy plus was always full due to other factors (always had one flight cancelled).

for 250k miles, how many sectors a year, assuming you might not qualify on miles but on sector?
Old Apr 17, 17, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fone View Post
How much more of UA do you envision yourself flying?

Flying UA and crediting to UA also increases your lifetime miles. If you are getting anywhere near 1 million miles, then you can get lifetime UA gold (subject to any further devaluations). 250k gets you 1/4 way there.

Economy plus might not seem that great, but there is usually more empty seats around in economy plus than in regular economy. (My experiences have mostly been pre-merger). Economy can be packed full, while economy plus can only be half full. Also, I've had 1 operational upgrade to business on UA silver, though I believe now it is very difficult to get upgrade (by miles or GPU), let alone the op ups. Recent experience in Economy plus was always full due to other factors (always had one flight cancelled).

for 250k miles, how many sectors a year, assuming you might not qualify on miles but on sector?
I have been leveraging partnership flight for airlines to Alaska that provide more miles and based in the NW the AS are valuable, but new schedule precludes Hainan (HU) and Delta ( DL ) termination with AS makes UA the primary choice and/or start again with DL. I made silver so the upgrade to plus is nice... So trending for the most part to UA default due to schedule of flights to and from PVG to LA/SFO too right not to take, probably every week going back or forth. Will see how the body manages that
Old Apr 18, 17, 1:42 pm

I heard that you must fly on United metal to credit full amount to SQ, is that right? What happen if I book ANA metal on United site with United flight number?
Old Apr 18, 17, 1:47 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by buzglyd View Post
This thread is interesting. Next year I'll bump over 1 million on United and won't need to apply miles for status.

From that point forward it might be a good idea to credit to Kris Flyer. I'll have status and accrue miles.
A number of status benefits require you have your FF number on the flight. Playing FF number swap games with itin's can backfire on you.
Old Apr 18, 17, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hondaman82 View Post
I heard that you must fly on United metal to credit full amount to SQ, is that right? What happen if I book ANA metal on United site with United flight number?
*A accrual is based upon the operating carrier. You would get credit based on SQ's chart for ANA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: