Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Fly UA but put miles in Singapore FF# - am I missing anything?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fly UA but put miles in Singapore FF# - am I missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chipmaster
For my schedule UA offers the most flexibility but since its the cheapest ticket the miles I get are horrendous, more than horrendous fly 6000 and sometimes get 600, what a program
600 miles would imply that your ticket cost a little over $100. Whilst such fares do exist, they are (very) rare.

As you gain status, earning does improve - up to more than double the base rates (11 miles/$ rather than 5). Still most likely not as good as miles-flown, but 600 miles for flying 6000 miles is an exaggeration.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Cross Post.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I have been doing this for the past two years, it started as a way to get 100% miles and figure out redemption later but stumbled into Star Silver status and as of last week have requalified twice. I still haven't seen the inside of an SQ aircraft.

100% mileage on even G fares is nice and miles usually post automatically within a few days. Star Silver gets boarding group two but no E+, upgrades, or free bags. I have seen some stealth elite benefits but I expect those to be YMMV. Star Gold has a much better defined set of reciprocal benefits.

I have not done a redemption yet, I am expecting that reservation will have to be completed by phone and likely with a hefty fee. Those negatives are balanced by having 100% miles and in a program I can transfer Citi TY points into.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by docbert
600 miles would imply that your ticket cost a little over $100. Whilst such fares do exist, they are (very) rare.

As you gain status, earning does improve - up to more than double the base rates (11 miles/$ rather than 5). Still most likely not as good as miles-flown, but 600 miles for flying 6000 miles is an exaggeration.
Me bad, just checked, but I have a few like this from last year. Class G flight in December, don't remember the price as my TA made it for me, SFO-PVG 6168 mile PQM, PQD $ 154, and a whopping 770 miles

This year there was a better G 1491 miles for 6168 miles flown and PQD $ of 213 a little better, but far cry what AL gives for my DL or HU segments. Funny that my AC segments also seem to be worth more than UAs own flights.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by jsloan
Also, SQ may change their program at any time; if you decide to go this route, keep in mind that you may get halfway toward an award and find that the rules change out from underneath you.
Is UA any less likely to pull such a move?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL DM, UA Gold, WOH Glob, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I have been doing this for the past two years, it started as a way to get 100% miles and figure out redemption later but stumbled into Star Silver status and as of last week have requalified twice. I still haven't seen the inside of an SQ aircraft.

100% mileage on even G fares is nice and miles usually post automatically within a few days. Star Silver gets boarding group two but no E+, upgrades, or free bags. I have seen some stealth elite benefits but I expect those to be YMMV. Star Gold has a much better defined set of reciprocal benefits.

I have not done a redemption yet, I am expecting that reservation will have to be completed by phone and likely with a hefty fee. Those negatives are balanced by having 100% miles and in a program I can transfer Citi TY points into.
Good morning. I'm trying similar to reach SQ Silver or gold by yearend via UA flights but occasionally have trouble with agents changing from UA MP to SQ KF number at check-in. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Supercub17
Good morning. I'm trying similar to reach SQ Silver or gold by yearend via UA flights but occasionally have trouble with agents changing from UA MP to SQ KF number at check-in. Any suggestions?
SQ no longer gives 100% miles on all UA fare classes so this thread is not quite up to date.

Even then if you still want to credit to UA miles to SQ I’m not sure what your issue is. Why are you first applying your MP# to your ticket and then changing it at check-in is it to get the UA status benefits first?

I used to do this earlier to get the status benefits and then change the FF# at the UA lounge, gate or by calling the UA helpdesk. All of them could do it extremely effiiently no matter where I was.

Keep in mind that you have to change your FFP before the start of your journey. You cannot change it mid-way.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn

SQ no longer gives 100% miles on all UA fare classes so this thread is not quite up to date.

Even then if you still want to credit to UA miles to SQ I’m not sure what your issue is. Why are you first applying your MP# to your ticket and then changing it at check-in is it to get the UA status benefits first?

I used to do this earlier to get the status benefits and then change the FF# at the UA lounge, gate or by calling the UA helpdesk. All of them could do it extremely effiiently no matter where I was.

Keep in mind that you have to change your FFP before the start of your journey. You cannot change it mid-way.
Thank you. Previously UA MP was automatically added by travel agent from my profile. Thats when I realized I could get some UA Gold benefits before changing FF. But it has been hit or miss with the check-in agents. MSP seems to struggle to change at all. One agent in PHL was able to switch to SQ and retain an upgrade. No idea how he did that. It seems to be easier to check-in on UA app with UA MP so prefer to continue that process and then switch but want to be sure agents can get it done.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Supercub17
Thank you. Previously UA MP was automatically added by travel agent from my profile. Thats when I realized I could get some UA Gold benefits before changing FF. But it has been hit or miss with the check-in agents. MSP seems to struggle to change at all. One agent in PHL was able to switch to SQ and retain an upgrade. No idea how he did that. It seems to be easier to check-in on UA app with UA MP so prefer to continue that process and then switch but want to be sure agents can get it done.
You can manually add your booking to the UA app with just the PNR & last name, check-in, generate your BP etc. etc. so there is no need to link it to your MP#. It's a minor extra step that saves you major inconveniences later. Enter your MP# only if you need to claim status benefits.

The best time to make the swap is when you're waiting to board. That way you get (almost) all your status benefits. If you're upgraded and you change your FFP you don't get downgraded. Plus you get the free baggage, lounge (other *A) etc. And the best way to do this is by calling UA helpdesk, they were always able to do this very efficiently in seconds while I was waiting to board everytime.

I've found the MSP lounge and gates to be quite incompetent. When I asked once at the MSP UA lounge to change my FFP they changed it and said we can't let you have lounge access because you're not showing *G on the BP! I was on my way out then so I didn't care to argue. Another time an MSP gate agent struggled a little bit but got it done in the 3rd or 4th attempt. All other airports esp. EWR, ORD, PHX etc. did it very quickly and efficiently.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:55 am

Great tips -- thank you. Flying out to IAD later this evening -- currently with an upgrade - so will try this out and see how it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.