CGK Same Day Turn, Multiple Tickets

Old Mar 5, 17, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SQ PPS
CGK Same Day Turn, Multiple Tickets

I'm finding a much cheaper ticket out of CGK in SQ J to HKG, than originating from SIN.

Looking to buy two separate tickets:
-SIN-CGK return on SQ or GA
-CGK-HKG return on SQ with a quick stopover in SIN

It sounds like booking all flights on SQ would be the easiest, though am curious to know opinions on doing this: can they issue all boarding passes in SIN? what will security/immigration in CGK think in arriving off a flight from SIN and going right back? how much of a hassle with luggage?

Thank you!

*edit - similar cheap J fares seem to also be available out of KUL, obviously transiting back in SIN with the same above situation.

Last edited by localkinegrindz; Mar 5, 17 at 4:53 pm Reason: add KL
Old Mar 5, 17, 6:41 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Just out of curiosity, I have two questions:
  1. Is it really worth paying for business class on 4 hour flight (SIN-HKG) at all?
  2. Is it really so significantly cheaper to do what you are proposing, considering that it will mean that you will spend close to 4 hours extra flying each way, plus connection times?
To be honest, I simply cannot see why I would fly for 1:50 (SIN-CGK) spend another time waiting, then another 1:45 going back to SIN and then another 4 hours to HKG, if I could do simple SIN-HKG in four hours. Basically simple 4 hour flight becomes nearly 8 hours of flying (plus about 3 hours of layovers) with all the added risks of missed connections etc...

Well, unless it is a mileage run... Then you're talking about luggage, so it does not seem to be the case.
Old Mar 5, 17, 9:36 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Putting aside the valid questions that vbroucek raised, if I were to do this I would be more inclined to a)try and check luggage in SIN just for SIN-HKG sector (either initially or by paying for left luggage whilst doing the excursion) and b) would suggest KUL is better place to do this than CGK as like SIN there is no separation of arrivals and departures. I'd also look to do it as separate trips with a stopover in SIN rather than same day turn around. (eg do SIN-KUL return one day or for a weekend, then a few days later do SIN-HKG if stopovers allowed).
Old Mar 5, 17, 9:42 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
would suggest KUL is better place to do this than CGK as like SIN there is no separation of arrivals and departures.
It's my recollection if you arrive in CGK as an international arrival and you need to connect to another international flight, you do not need to clear immigration. You just find the escalator that takes you up to the departures level and the gates.
Old Mar 6, 17, 2:27 am

Or is this a prolonged business class experience for the leisure traveller?
Old Mar 6, 17, 2:37 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Actually I was just thinking about whether to do this but starting BKK instead (and traveling much further to Europe so it makes a bit more sense and the savings are almost 50%).

I guess for me the main question is whether we can check luggage in for the SIN-destination flight before even having flown the CGK(or BKK)-SIN flight.
Old Mar 6, 17, 5:06 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SQShortFinal View Post
It's my recollection if you arrive in CGK as an international arrival and you need to connect to another international flight, you do not need to clear immigration. You just find the escalator that takes you up to the departures level and the gates.
Yes you can if you have a boarding pass. Last time I did it was a GA-GA transfer (same booking) and they checked off my name on a list they had and sent me on my way upstairs..

A few years ago I did going from 3K to QF and showed my QF boarding pass (which the QF lounge issued in SIN) and that sent them into a flap ... where did i get the BP? Eventually resolved but the issue then was around the departure tax sticker as it wasn't included in fare then ... should be easier now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: