Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KrisFlyer Devaluation - 23 March 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If I redeem a ticket base on the current chart, and subsequently I want to change the date of my ticket after 23 March, will i be required to put in more miles?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This a bummer - I've been sitting on 238k SQ for a USA - Australia (or other way around) award for next year. We were aiming for 2nd half of next year but looks like I'm going to have to try and find something for first half of the year, find something else to do with the miles, or potentially see a 30% increase to that price (not really jazzed about needing an additional 71.5k points).

Though if fuel surcharges really are going away, that would suggest that those extra 71.5k would also come with an elimination of $752 in fuel surcharges (aka the equivalent of buying miles at 10c/mile?). Is that math right?

Last edited by Duke787; Mar 1, 2017 at 7:16 am
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:35 am

Guys guess what? This is your 70th Anniversary present by SQ for this year!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by shevboyz
If I redeem a ticket base on the current chart, and subsequently I want to change the date of my ticket after 23 March, will i be required to put in more miles?
It's best to operate on the assumption that this will be the case.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
What's going to happen to wait listed awards? Do I need to spend more miles if the award clears after March 23rd or will they honor the old mileage chart for wait listed awards?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aglp2k
What's going to happen to wait listed awards? Do I need to spend more miles if the award clears after March 23rd or will they honor the old mileage chart for wait listed awards?
More miles! 'Ticketed' is the key word!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Phaze
It's best to operate on the assumption that this will be the case.
The current system is that changing the date of a redemption ticket is free of charge; so I assume once we ticket a redemption ticket today, we can change the flight date after March 23 online (self service) without any penalty.

That's the logic, I hope I'm right.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
For my favorite IST-HKT it is not that much.
Now 38.250 + 240.72 US$
After 45.000

diff. 6.750 miles for a saving 240 US$ ( that's 3,55 cent value )
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kakapinky
The current system is that changing the date of a redemption ticket is free of charge; so I assume once we ticket a redemption ticket today, we can change the flight date after March 23 online (self service) without any penalty.

You are depending on the goodwill of an airline. Prepare to be disappointed.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aglp2k
There is nothing for them to honor as you weren't ticketed.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by kakapinky

This is wrong. If you change the date they will re-ticket. Which will mean pricing at the new rate.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
This is wrong. If you change the date they will re-ticket. Which will mean pricing at the new rate.
Incorrect. Date change on a ticket already issued will not trigger additional miles requirement.

However, change of anything other than the date will result in a new ticket being issued and will follow new miles requirement.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I'm very confused about one thing - if the *A awards aren't changing (and they are eliminating fuel surcharges), and you can combine SQ on a *A award, wouldn't you just always use a *A award?

For example JFK - SYD in F under the new chart is 304k for all SQ. However for the *A chart it's only 255k. So wouldn't the ideal move be to book something like:

JFK - FRA (LH F)
FRA - SIN - SYD (SQ F)

Or even better if you wanted to keep the all SQ metal for JFK - FRA - SIN:

RDU - EWR (UA Y)
JFK - FRA - SIN - SYD (SQ F)

Both *should* still be 255k if the *A chart isn't changing versus the 304k that it would now cost to go JFK - FRA - SIN - SYD on all SQ.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Date change (same routing and class of travel and all) triggers a revalidation in the case of SQ/MI, but does not require a reissue. No extra miles should be required.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: Free agent!
Not defending SQ here but I'm wondering in part if this is being driven by the fact that it is so easy to acquire KF miles here in the States without having to set foot on the airline. Of course, the argument against that is that SQ can certain restrict that supply if it chooses to, such as ending a transfer agreement with one of the credit card companies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.