Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

High number of complaints on Singapore Airlines new Premium Economy product

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High number of complaints on Singapore Airlines new Premium Economy product

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:59 pm

$360m, not $623m.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by FN-GM
It is profitable. It made $623 million according to the yearly report published in My 2017.
Fortune and Bloomberg beg to differ:

"According to Bloomberg, Singapore's national carrier, which employs more than 24,300 staff, lost $100 million dollars in the quarter through March."

http://fortune.com/2017/06/07/singap...es-job-losses/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-yields-chart
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by fly747first
Fortune and Bloomberg beg to differ:

"According to Bloomberg, Singapore's national carrier, which employs more than 24,300 staff, lost $100 million dollars in the quarter through March."

http://fortune.com/2017/06/07/singap...es-job-losses/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-yields-chart
Here is my source. Profits are down but they are not making a loss.

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...r-q4fy1617.pdf
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Here is my source. Profits are down but they are not making a loss.

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...r-q4fy1617.pdf
Still not as profitable as SQ's management wants the airline to be so from what I'm seeing, the cutbacks will most likely continue.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Still not as profitable as SQ's management wants
Agreed but not losing money.

Profits are on the up though.

FIRST QUARTER OPERATING PROFIT RISES TO
$281 MILLION

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...r-q1fy1718.pdf
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Just did 4 flights total flying PE HKG-BCN via SIN. Impression overall is really not good at all.

Check-in/Boarding: Priority PE lines for both check-in/boarding. Priority baggage was great. My bags were among the first to come off both times at BCN and HKG.

I flew on 3 different aircrafts: 777, 350 and 380.

777: has the noticeably narrowest seat. Legroom wasn't so good despite the added seat pitch due to the seat design. The seat in front seemed to be relatively lower to the floor vs other airlines so when you stretch your legs, you feel your shins knocking the footrest quickly. The seat itself also wasn't that comfortable even though it looked nice.

350: seat felt slightly wider than 777. Legroom ran into the same problems as the 777. Worse, legroom in the paired aisle seats (B/H) is worse though due to the presence of the IFE equipment box preventing right (B) or left (H) leg full extension. I am not that tall but it just felt cramped.

380: the roomiest of the 3 planes. Still, you wonder why they put the seat bracket in the middle of the footwell for the B/H seats. As reported by others, 380 has the older IFE so it's not touchscreen. The seat was also filthy. There was even a used, broken toothpick in the middle console.

IFE: good content overall though there seemed to have been no real additions between September and October. The noise cancelling headphones weren't that great. My own in-ear headphones were much better.

Food: Ordered BTC meals when possible (so ex-HKG and ex-SIN, but no ex-BCN). Most items were just passable but cannot be considered exactly average. Chicken with garlic cream sauce was good SIN to BCN so I picked it again SIN to HKG on the way back, but it was much nastier the second time. Preserved egg congee (probably not for everyone) SIN-BCN was excellent. The best dish overall was a non-BTC Thai curry BCN-SIN. Overall, meals were not very good. The breakfast of Apple Crepe tasted strange entirely. Also, on a morning SIN-HKG flight, they were serving full lunch items (BTC or regular). Not everyone wants to eat chicken or beef that early in the day, right?

Unlike some other reports, when we got our BTC meals, we were able to ask for drinks before they came with the drink cart. Also, ordering two drinks at the start was no problem. Champagne was served in the cabin though it was on the cart only for one of those legs.

Service: overall good though we seemed to have got a newbie on the BCN-SIN leg. She spoke way too softly, and she couldn't explain what the meal choices were properly.

Conclusion: Whenever I fly BA, CX or QF PE, those seats always felt noticeably more spacious than Y right away. I did not get that impression with SQ. I am glad I bought the SQ PE at a price just about the same as a Y class ticket. I wouldn't pay much of a premium on SQ PE going forward. The seat/room offered just wasn't comfortable, but that's the most important reason one chooses to use PE normally.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
This thread is fairly consistent, and has set my expectations for PE from Syd to Sin somewhat lower than when I booked using miles (it was the only availability I could find).

Essentially:

This will be a slightly bigger seat with slightly better food. I should use book the cook because I will get my food earlier, and I should order two drinks and/or ask for Champagne, but not expect it to be offered to me.

This sets expectations properly and for this I am grateful.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Originally Posted by MajorFloyd
Still, you wonder why they put the seat bracket in the middle of the footwell for the B/H seats.
The seat 'tracks' on the ground are the same throughout the aircraft, and are generally optimized for Economy class seats. Hence, because PEY seats are wider than Y seats but not twice as wide, you'll find the seat brackets will be between seats, eating into your foot space.

Presumably there should be enough legroom in PEY that this shouldn't matter.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by captain_starwood
Essentially:

This will be a slightly bigger seat with slightly better food. I should use book the cook because I will get my food earlier, and I should order two drinks and/or ask for Champagne, but not expect it to be offered to me.

This sets expectations properly and for this I am grateful.
I think this is a good assessment. PEY is a minor upgrade from Economy and not a minor downgrade from Business Class. Some people seem to expect a more Business Class like product.

I do agree that PEY is over priced. I pay for my own Business Class tickets on SQ. I think these are much better value than PEY.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
My father got an onboard op-up from Y to Y+ from MEL - SIN on the A350 and didn't like it at all. He thought the seat was uncomfortable and wanted to move back part way through the flight. His comment was that the only difference in service was being give a bottle of water...
RTWFF likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by pokfur
The seat 'tracks' on the ground are the same throughout the aircraft, and are generally optimized for Economy class seats. Hence, because PEY seats are wider than Y seats but not twice as wide, you'll find the seat brackets will be between seats, eating into your foot space.

Presumably there should be enough legroom in PEY that this shouldn't matter.
Yes, presumably, you would think yes. However, with the low ground clearance of the seat in front of you, and worse yet, on the 350 with the IFE box position, you might find your legroom severely compromised. It just surprised me that SQ would do such a bad job despite being one of the more recent entrants into the PE market.

Last edited by MajorFloyd; Oct 12, 2017 at 3:28 am
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:27 am

I think this is a good assessment. PEY is a minor upgrade from Economy and not a minor downgrade from Business Class. Some people seem to expect a more Business Class like product.

I do agree that PEY is over priced. I pay for my own Business Class tickets on SQ. I think these are much better value than PEY.
Indeed, J should certainly be a much better product, and Y+ should always be considered glorified economy instead of a poor man's business. My gripe mainly centers around the legroom and seat comfort issue. These are the most important features of a PE cabin. It's sorely lacking with SQ's offering vs other airlines.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
I think this is a good assessment. PEY is a minor upgrade from Economy
Originally Posted by MajorFloyd
Indeed, J should certainly be a much better product, and Y+ should always be considered glorified economy instead of a poor man's business.
God forbid passengers only get a better economy seat, when they are buying a premium economy ticket

Its been concluded many times here, the major reason people seem unhappy with this class is their high expectation, and somewhat excessive pricing (on some routes), nothing else.

I don't see too many people complain their Prius doesn't drive like an Jag
terbangalways likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:06 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by shuigao
I'd benchmark the pricing to floor area rather than recline.

Example the A359 cabin. 38" pitch vs 32" pitch and 8-across vs 9-across means that in the same space (roughly speaking), SQ can put 9x6 = 54 Y seats vs 8x5 = 40 PE seats. In order to get the same revenue/floor area, SQ needs to price PE 35% higher than Y. Add in the champagne, better food, better service (?) etc, perhaps 50-60% price premium over Y could be reasonable?
Originally Posted by spk307
I think the question is 50% over which economy fare? If fully flexible economy is already 50% more than zero-flex economy, adding 50% on top of it is what makes it relatively poor value.
CX is asking for 80% more for theirs https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post28554480

Floor space is 138% of Economy, about the same as SQ
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Club, HHonors Diamond
Just finished a roundtrip SIN-LHR in Premium Economy on the A380. Very unimpressive. A full flight on both trips, where the crew just could not cope with the passenger load. Book the Cook meal so overcooked that I left it untouched after one bite. Drinks service came 25 minutes after all Book the Cook orders had been served.

They still seem to be unable to beat the competition with this Premium Economy product. I flew EVA Airways multiple times the last six months in Premium Economy, which is really good and consistent. I have been flying SIA for over 20 years in all classes and always admired their consistency in quality, but they really missed the boat on this new cabin product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.