Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ flight changed to Silk Air - *A Gold benefits?

Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)

My SIN-MLE-SIN flights were booked on SQ on the 777 as a Y award. As a LH *G I was treated to lounge access in both SIN and MLE, extra 20kg baggage and priority baggage handling. I can live without the priority baggage but I will have more than 30kg luggage and while MI is not part of *Alliance my original ticket was operated by a *A airline.

Any way to get at least lounge access and negotiate the baggage benefit with SQ as they are responsible for the downgrade?

Mrs Sydfly is flying in C and while she can get lounge access in SIN it will not be the Silverkris lounge but just the dreaded *G lounge. Also, no book the cook and far inferior seats on an almost 5h flight. Is there any compensation SQ offers in this case?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: SQ AA TK
I believe one of the 2 daily flights are still operated by SQ. Perhaps ask for a switch to that.

You could try to get them to honour *G benefits on an MI flight. Never tried so I don't know what your chances are. But even if they honour in writing, I would expect a lot of resistance on the ground, because hardly anyone does that.

Think I read somewhere MI C now come with SilverKris access. Someone else can verify. You're right about the seats, IFE and food onboard.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Yes Silkair business class lets you into the legit Silverkris Business lounge.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Originally Posted by dfs24
I believe one of the 2 daily flights are still operated by SQ. Perhaps ask for a switch to that.

You could try to get them to honour *G benefits on an MI flight. Never tried so I don't know what your chances are. But even if they honour in writing, I would expect a lot of resistance on the ground, because hardly anyone does that.

Think I read somewhere MI C now come with SilverKris access. Someone else can verify. You're right about the seats, IFE and food onboard.
Problem is that the other flight would leave late in the evening and arrive in Male without a possible connecting sea plane. If SQ pays for hotel in Male airport that could be a possibility but I would also loose my first night of holiday accommodation that was pre-booked. On the way back the SQ flight is an overnight flight which again would mean I either loose my last holiday night or I would loose my pre-booked night in Singapore. Either way, SQ would have to compensate us for those nights somehow and I think it would be much easier granting *Gold benefits.

So I guess I would need to lodge a formal complaint/request to SQ. Is there a particular email address where you don't just get a monkey response?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Sure, but to go to the extent to pay you for your hotels etc; unlikely. To allow you to cancel penalty free or rebook to depart 1 day earlier/later sounds more plausible.

Just give customer service a ring, the SG one during office hours in Singapore might be of help. Good luck and let us know the outcome
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
What are your priorities?
As a LH *G I was treated to lounge access in both SIN and MLE
but just the dreaded *G lounge.
It seems you are not interested in visiting the KrisFlyer Gold Lounges in SIN. Why make such a fuzz?

Any way to get at least lounge access and negotiate the baggage benefit with SQ as they are responsible for the downgrade?
The easiest way would be for SQ to reimbourse the additional baggage fee.
It might be worth asking SQ to increase your luggage allowance on the MI flights.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Update: It took a lot of phone calls, super visors etc and in the end SQ did not sort this out until I actually was on the plane leaving for my trip! In the end I was granted the extra baggage and lounge access in SIN and MLE, however, the airport staff in MLE had no clue and denied access initially. It then took another phone call at $5/min to sort this out again at check-in.

Overall, a less than pleasant experience, a terribly filthy flight on Silkair which I will avoid like the plague going forward (the entire floor and every single seat looked like it had been vomited on repeatedly over many years! they showed 6 Western movies of which 3 of them were years old and they did not even change in another direction!).

SQ really needs to rethink their strategy for the premium market of Maldives. Why don't they let Tiger take care of the low end of the market and at least offer 2 decent flights per day on SQ equipment. I'd rather flyer via CMB next time on Sri Lankan.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Sydfly
SQ really needs to rethink their strategy for the premium market of Maldives. Why don't they let Tiger take care of the low end of the market and at least offer 2 decent flights per day on SQ equipment.
Don't you get it? Maldives is not premium enough.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sydfly
they showed 6 Western movies of which 3 of them were years old and they did not even change in another direction!).
I do agree that Silkair Studio is a joke. In itself it is already a half-hearted attempt at providing IFE as you have to stream it to your own device. Then the content is rubbish. Like. Why did they even bother?

They do have some old A320s still flying around unfortunately, and you may have gotten one. Even in J the seats are terribly uncomfortable.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
I have an SQ ticketed itinerary: SYD (SQ242):SIN(SQ5092):BKI and return with both the outgoing and returning legs from SIN-BKI on MI (Silk Air). I am flying in Y with *G status. Normally no problem accessing the KF or *A lounges in SYD or SIN as a *G flying SQ but not sure if I can access the *A lounge in SIN as I understand MI is not part of the *A. Also can I access the MI lounge in BKI as a *G flying on an SQ ticketed itinerary? Thanks for any feedback!
Iain

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.