Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlist Cleared -- Add a stopover?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Waitlist Cleared -- Add a stopover?

I apologize for the newbieness. I haven't booked an award on SQ metal before, so I don't know the logistics involved here.

I waitlisted two seats in F from SIN-ICN-LAX. Got the email that the waitlist cleared. Yay!

Now here's my question: What I'd really like to do is SYD-SIN, stopover, continue SIN-ICN-LAX. There is bookable space SYD-SIN on the day I'd like to travel.

I understand I can add a stopover for $100 on a OW saver award. SYD-LAX should be 238k for two saver awards, so I'd essentially like to book that and add the stop in SIN for $100. But here's my question: The SIN-ICN-LAX flight isn't "bookable" at the moment except for the fact that I've cleared the waitlist. Is it possible to book this stopover itinerary over the phone?

The reason I ask rather than just calling is because I only initially transferred 183k to SQ (enough to waitlist/pay for the 2 tix SIN-LAX). I'd need to transfer over another 55k to book SYD-SIN-ICN-LAX. Doing that would put me in a conundrum should I not be able to book this (I'd need those points for my backup option).

I am certainly not afraid of a few HUCA attempts, I just don't want to transfer the 55k if I'm not reasonably confident that I can make this work. I appreciate any insight you guys have. Thank you!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Parachute07
I apologize for the newbieness. I haven't booked an award on SQ metal before, so I don't know the logistics involved here.

I waitlisted two seats in F from SIN-ICN-LAX. Got the email that the waitlist cleared. Yay!

Now here's my question: What I'd really like to do is SYD-SIN, stopover, continue SIN-ICN-LAX. There is bookable space SYD-SIN on the day I'd like to travel.

I understand I can add a stopover for $100 on a OW saver award. SYD-LAX should be 238k for two saver awards, so I'd essentially like to book that and add the stop in SIN for $100. But here's my question: The SIN-ICN-LAX flight isn't "bookable" at the moment except for the fact that I've cleared the waitlist. Is it possible to book this stopover itinerary over the phone?

The reason I ask rather than just calling is because I only initially transferred 183k to SQ (enough to waitlist/pay for the 2 tix SIN-LAX). I'd need to transfer over another 55k to book SYD-SIN-ICN-LAX. Doing that would put me in a conundrum should I not be able to book this (I'd need those points for my backup option).

I am certainly not afraid of a few HUCA attempts, I just don't want to transfer the 55k if I'm not reasonably confident that I can make this work. I appreciate any insight you guys have. Thank you!

yes, that's a conundrum most of us face. However, transferring first is the only way.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExSin
yes, that's a conundrum most of us face. However, transferring first is the only way.
​ I understand that I would need to transfer the points before I can book it. I'm just wondering if someone knows if it's possible to book this way before I transfer the points over. Essentially, I'm wondering if this has been done before or if it's a known impossibility.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:15 pm

Actually, I believe SQ will reserve the seats for you with a ticketing deadline. You can call and ask. Then you can reserve and wait for the miles transfer.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fone
Actually, I believe SQ will reserve the seats for you with a ticketing deadline. You can call and ask. Then you can reserve and wait for the miles transfer.
Thank you very much for this response! You were indeed correct. There was some initial confusion, but the agent was able to take my initial booking from SIN-LAX and simply tack on the SYD-SIN flight (and stopover) before it.

Interestingly, my ticketing deadline for the original itinerary (that had opened from the waitlist) was Jan 18. However, when he updated my itinerary and put the award on hold, he gave me a new ticketing deadline of February 4. That seemed oddly generous.

Certainly not wanting to test those limits, I transferred from MR last night and ticketed this AM. Both the agent who put the award on hold and the one who ticketed it automatically gave me the 15% online discount without any prompt. The ticketing call took six or seven minutes max. Easy breezy.

Thanks again for reminding me that I could put the full itinerary on hold to transfer the points. I expected it might have been a headache, but proved quite easy. Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Parachute07
Thank you very much for this response! You were indeed correct. There was some initial confusion, but the agent was able to take my initial booking from SIN-LAX and simply tack on the SYD-SIN flight (and stopover) before it.
Glad to be of assistance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.