FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Why No Amenity Kit On SQ Business Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1815018-why-no-amenity-kit-sq-business-class.html)

jcnkc Jan 13, 2017 9:04 am

Why No Amenity Kit On SQ Business Class

Does anyone know why does SQ not provide amenity kits for their business class customers? There are many airlines who even have amenity kits for economy class, and Singapore airlines, a premier international airline, doesn't even provide amenity kits for their business class customers. I know they have combs and toothbrushes in the restrooms, but that is very different than being given a nice bag with goodies in it

Phaze Jan 13, 2017 9:19 am

Before the troop of blind apologists who have economy standards for a business class product get here, it's to save money.

jcnkc Jan 13, 2017 4:19 pm

That is an obvious reason. Im just wondering whether there's another reason that they have chosen to eliminate the amenity kits. Did they used to have it?

Phaze Jan 13, 2017 5:22 pm

No, not in the almost decade I've been flying them. When such cuts - or in this case outright exclusions - are decided on, there is almost always only the same one overwhelming factor. Everything else is secondary.

carrotjuice Jan 13, 2017 9:16 pm

This is a constantly discussed issue... most recently in the SQ cost cutting thread.

I'm one of them who like to keep kits as souvenirs or give them away to relatives... and have indeed swayed many long haul flights from SQ in favor of other airlines because of this.

Annalisa12 Jan 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Surely there are other perfume companies etc that would work in conjunction with an airline to promote their products to people who might then buy them. I only use 2 perfumes, Addict by Dior and Allure by Chanel. I really liked the Ferragamo perfume I got in my SQ amenity kit and happily wear it and would buy it.

This reminded me that my last 4 SQ flights I didn't get a business amenity kit.

shuuy Jan 13, 2017 11:21 pm

The only thing that's not provided is lip balm? And a case you can take away.

Everything else you get on the plane?

(not an apologist, just looking at the stack of empty QF and AA amenity kits in front of me)

jbfield Jan 14, 2017 2:45 am

Presumably because they can without loosing enough business to make it worthwhile changing.

I personally find it a tad annoying that they don't provide disposable slippers like a number of other asian-based airlines. It's quite irritating having to put shoes on and off to go to the loo - especially when you're in a tight environment.

As for the perfume, I believe SIA use a tailor made scent rather than brand-named one that can be purchased elsewhere.

fimo Jan 14, 2017 4:57 am

Originally Posted by jbfield (Post 27759069)

I personally find it a tad annoying that they don't provide disposable slippers like a number of other asian-based airlines. It's quite irritating having to put shoes on and off to go to the loo - especially when you're in a tight environment.

They do, it used to be padded sockettes, but now it's slippers in F/J and socks in Y.

nanyang Jan 14, 2017 7:15 am

I feel quite bad when airlines hand out amenity kits - total waste in my books.

I'm sure there is a cost component as well, but I fail to see how getting an amenity kit would make much of a difference to a traveller. Perhaps if the flight is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and one wants to get some mementos?

Reliable operations / safety, schedule, seat / comfort & service might matter a bit more?

jjjohn Jan 14, 2017 11:53 am

Since travel with SIA (20+yr ago), J never has amenity kit, they only provided eye mask and a pair of padded sockettes in a draw bag.

in recent year, they replaced padded sockettes with slippers.

Most of the amenity kit is useless (too small) and became junk. Only a few which was big enough to be reusable.

Carfield Jan 15, 2017 9:12 pm

This topic has really been debated to death in various websites.

I personally think that a quality business class product should include an amenity kit. It has always been SQ's weakest point.

However, I am glad that that they at least have slippers now, not just socks!

Carfield

fimo Jan 16, 2017 1:12 am

Actually I prefer the padded sockette/slippers they provided before. I now have to bring my own pair of low ankle socks when flying because the full length socks they provide with the slippers are just a hassle.

Kiwi Flyer Jan 16, 2017 1:16 am

Originally Posted by fimo (Post 27768165)
Actually I prefer the padded sockette/slippers they provided before. I now have to bring my own pair of low ankle socks when flying because the full length socks they provide with the slippers are just a hassle.

what is full length for you barely reaches the heel for me

fimo Jan 16, 2017 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 27768185)
what is full length for you barely reaches the heel for me

LOL... so I guess those padded sock slippers were totally useless for you!