Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to combine KF points?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Possible to combine KF points?

Hello All,

My wife has about 250K AMEX pts and I have about 150K Citi TY points... We are planning a trip to Australia for 4 ppl (UAL), is it possible to create one KF acct and transfer all points into one account?

Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:52 pm

No, you can't.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by monu58
Hello All,

My wife has about 250K AMEX pts and I have about 150K Citi TY points... We are planning a trip to Australia for 4 ppl (UAL), is it possible to create one KF acct and transfer all points into one account?

Thanks
No, but u can create 2 under your name and your wife's name, and redeem the flights separately.

The only airline which allows a family account is ANA, afaik, but I don't know about points conversion to ANA.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I sent Chase points from a card which is both on my and my wife's name, to my wife KF account. There were no problems.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Hello All,

Thanks
You can't pool points between you and your wife in 1 KF account; i.e. you will earn miles separately when you fly, etc.

However, your question is about transferring points from your CC to a KF account. This would depend on the terms and conditions of the KF transfer of AMEX and Citi. I suggest you call your card provider if you can redeem your points for a spouse, if they say yes then create an account for that spouse and add your family to the redemption nominees.

Example: AMEX allows crediting miles redemption to spouse's KF account, then create an account in your name and redeem the award flights (hopefully there's availability... I would check before transferring since KF miles expire after 3 years regardless of status). If Citi allows then do the opposite, if neither allows that then you need to transfer to your own accounts and then redeem separately... again subject to availability.

My dad did this for me before when I was short around 2000-ish miles for a F redemption and there was no problem.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Back to your original post. If you are planning a redemption on United Airlines why are you transferring miles into a Krisflyer account.?

Generally speaking, SQ are one of the worst offenders for adding fuel surcharges and UA are one of the best. Transfer your points direct to United to avoid the surcharges....
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmdsea
Back to your original post. If you are planning a redemption on United Airlines why are you transferring miles into a Krisflyer account.?

Generally speaking, SQ are one of the worst offenders for adding fuel surcharges and UA are one of the best. Transfer your points direct to United to avoid the surcharges....

Hi, Thanks for your response.
Because UAL is not listed as a transfer partner for either CITI TY points or AMEX points. Is there another way to directly transfer them to united? I am flying out of EWR thus united seems like the best option to obtain 4 tixx to Sydney.

Sorry, kind of new to this thus the questions. Any other options.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
You can't pool points between you and your wife in 1 KF account; i.e. you will earn miles separately when you fly, etc.

However, your question is about transferring points from your CC to a KF account. This would depend on the terms and conditions of the KF transfer of AMEX and Citi. I suggest you call your card provider if you can redeem your points for a spouse, if they say yes then create an account for that spouse and add your family to the redemption nominees.

Example: AMEX allows crediting miles redemption to spouse's KF account, then create an account in your name and redeem the award flights (hopefully there's availability... I would check before transferring since KF miles expire after 3 years regardless of status). If Citi allows then do the opposite, if neither allows that then you need to transfer to your own accounts and then redeem separately... again subject to availability.

My dad did this for me before when I was short around 2000-ish miles for a F redemption and there was no problem.
Great, thanks for the tip; Will look into it.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
I sent Chase points from a card which is both on my and my wife's name, to my wife KF account. There were no problems.
Unfortunately, the cards are in separate names thus the issue.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
It might not be very useful for US CC spend and the miles that generates, but for future reference the Virgin Australia Velocity program is good to look at if you ever want to collect SQ miles and pool them together as a couple or even family. Or maybe you can get your miles there somehow?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Hi, Thanks for your response.
Because UAL is not listed as a transfer partner for either CITI TY points or AMEX points. Is there another way to directly transfer them to united? I am flying out of EWR thus united seems like the best option to obtain 4 tixx to Sydney.

Sorry, kind of new to this thus the questions. Any other options.
In that case why not just take Singapore Airlines from JFK instead of United from EWR and then you can redeem your Krisflyer miles direct.?

You dont mention which cabin you are looking at but one way JFK-SYD is 46,750KF miles + US$400 in economy and 91,375KF miles +US$423 in business.

As SQ allows one way redemptions for half the mileage of roundtrip, the issue of trying to combine miles does not arise as you can split the bookings as necessary between the 2 accounts to utilise all the available miles...
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:36 am

Actually, there is a (rather convoluted, but legal) way to transfer your wife's AMEX points to your KF account.

Both AMEX and KF are transfer partners of SPG, and SPG allows you to transfer points between accounts of family members, although there are certain caveats and restrictions. So you could, in theory, transfer your wife's AMEX points to her SPG account, and then transfer her SPG points to you, and then you transfer it to your KF account.

It's perfectly legal and workable, although whether it's a good idea to do this or not is another debate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.