Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The SQ A350 - shockingly bad J-class seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SQ A350 - shockingly bad J-class seat

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by krispykrme
I flew on SIN/JNB and back just 3 weeks ago.

I personally did not find the seats to be as bad as people made it out to be here.

I did book very early and took 11K on both legs.

Things i like over the previous J seat.

1. The screen is not as high as before. My neck really appreciated lower height.
2. I disagree with the storage opening is being too wide. I was able to put in 2 iPhones, Mac Air, and iPad Pro. None of them slid out during quiet rough ride from SIN to JNB.
3. The new seat cushion are better than 2006 J. Its much comfortable to sit.

The only thing i really hated was the stupid sensor triggered trash bin in the toilet. Also the bed mode is harder than before. So my back was aching after 6 hours sleep.

Overall, i still would take SQ business class seats over others.
+1

And some other quirks including narrow aisles , entry to seat . Was on 11A
Sloping foot area , etcetera

Will still try not to take this AB plane , definitely not LH & not the non-stops to SFO , ..

So checking other airlines if SQ 2 or others use this aircraft
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
sleep on your side

It looks like if you can or do sleep on your side you can squeeze your feet into the foot cubby and everything will be fine. I guess I will find out soon enough.

-Paul
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by krispykrme
I flew on SIN/JNB and back just 3 weeks ago.

I personally did not find the seats to be as bad as people made it out to be here.

I did book very early and took 11K on both legs.
Well there you go - 11K. Most people don't have an issue with the bulkhead seats when it comes to seat comfort whether lounging or sleeping mode. I'm content with those seats. Unfortunately, there are only 8 of those on most a/c.

The non-bulkhead ones are the seats I do feel somewhat uncomfortable with in lounge and too a degree in sleep mode. YMMV.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by vade
My two cents on this. I think this having to get up and flip the seat over thing is much maligned. While I've not flown on the SQ A350 J seats yet, I have on both the old and new J on the B777, and honestly, I don't quite get the fuss about having to get up and flip over the seat to bed mode.

It's really not a very difficult thing to do, and most of the time the stewardesses offer to do it for you anyway. Plus, I find that once you switch to bed mode (usually after the first meal), I tend to just leave the seat in bed mode. It's more comfortable, and if I have to eat, I just "eat in bed". But of course, to each his own I guess.
For some people like me who cannot sleep long even in the "bed mode" this will rather troublesome. If you happen to wake up in the middle of the flight and want to have a "sitting mode" then you have to flip it back and forth.

If the seating like CX/TG, you can just simply press the button.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Oh dear... I am rather concerned by what I read and see of this seat. I was wondering why the fares ex CPT are so remarkably inexpensive - but I'm beginning to understand. I mean... a seat that is awkward both for sitting and sleeping... that's a pretty fundamental drawback when you are on board for a total of 14 hours!

And then I read there's no amenity kit! This is all very disconcerting...
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:33 am

To those who have traveled both:

How would you compare the new a350 business seat to the old 77 first class seat?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Having not taken the SQ A350 before (sorry, I'm a mainly OW guy based out of SIN presently) I do have difficulty picturing what this 'cubby' issue is.

I had taken the inaugural (2006?) J seats on 777-300ER, and subsequently A380... but not the latest iteration. Can someone post cubby pics that compare the old seats against the new ones?
Over the years I've (thankfully) had the privilege of trying out all the different long-haul business class that SQ offers on its different aircraft so I went to dig out my photos to share with everyone. I will also share some of my thoughts, bearing in mind that I'm a mere 1.7m tall guy who wears size S on most stuff

A380 2006 J

By nature of the narrower A380 upper-deck as compared to the 777, the seats are significantly different from those on the 777s. There is no side 'shelf', and pitch between each seat is longer, resulting in a less diagonal sleeping position.

777-200ER 2006 J

You immediately notice the presence of a side 'shelf', while the cubby hole seems to be more slanted, and also slightly deeper in. Also, a bit of an odd shape if you ask me?

777-300ER 2006 J

Pardon the pillow but I believe that the seats are identical on the 200ER and 300ER based on experience, so you may refer to the picture of the 200ER.

777-300ER 2013 J

Side shelf is wider, thanks to the new seat being slightly narrower than the old one. However, I believe that the cubby hole is indeed slightly more cubby because SQ decided to carve out a bit more headroom for the passenger in front.

A350 2013 J

In my opinion, the seat on the 77W and A350 are identical. Some may feel like it's narrower but I think that's actually because the cabin and aisles are narrower, not the seat itself. (Angle of the photo may not be the best comparison of the two) I think that another issue with the A350 is that with the narrow aisles, SQ probably should have staggered the seats more to make them more private. The 777-200ERs (ironically the ones probably to be retired) are staggered perfectly and in my opinion offer the best privacy of the entire long-haul fleet.

Verdict

I think the 2013 J seat is miles ahead in design, functionality, aesthetics, and comfort. It also naturally comes with a newer, clearer and larger IFE screen and system. As a seat it is way more comfortable. As a bed, it has better padding. Honestly the cubby hole has never been an issue for me, but I can see how it will be for much taller passengers. I find that the new J also has better headroom than the old one, and that has probably eaten into the footspace. Bearing that in mind and comparing to other J class seats, I do not think it is very different from other reverse herringbone seats. In CX or QR for example, you sit diagonal to the centre axis, and sleep diagonal to the centre axis. On SQ, you sit facing forward, but once flipped down, you sleep diagonal, in something that is somewhat similar to CX or QR. Personally I find reverse herringbone seats more claustrophobic, since the seat back of the front seat is so near you. I also dislike how one of my arms can't have an armrest till after take off before I can lift the armrest up.

I think every seat has its pros and cons, and this is what SQ chose to have. If I wanted a fully flat bed with no silly holes and no diagonal sleeping, BA's seat actually would be the best for me. But some will complain about flying backwards, staring at a neighbour, or having to climb over someone else.

It all boils down to personal preference and it's really more than just the seat itself - pricing, routing, timing, service, safety, food, IFE... I mean I couldn't fly BA to Japan even if I wanted that seat so badly! As such, there're so many factors as to why SQ can get away with high prices with such an 'inferior' seat

Regardless, hope the pictures help with your decision-making!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by CHSDOC
To those who have traveled both:

How would you compare the new a350 business seat to the old 77 first class seat?
I had the "pleasure" of having an old 77W sub my SQ318 in December sigh which meant I got the old F. Back on SQ326 just 1 week later I flew the new J so while it's not the A350 J it's still the 2013 J, and had a very good comparison of both.

Both my wife and I agreed that the new J is miles ahead of the old F seat. As a seat it's more comfortable, as a bed, also better padding. The only "issue", of course, is that your feet get a bit less space. I wouldn't pay (or spend miles) on the old F anymore for sure, even if that means losing the Private Room and caviar and Dom and Krug and whatever else, and more 'generic' less personalized service from junior crew.

I'm still annoyed that my only chance at the new F got snatched away by 9V-SWG I even chose the 77W over the A380 suites because I wanted to sample it LOL.

Stupiak.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Great post pokfur! Thank you very much. ^
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Booked on my first A350 in J next week. At just under 6'3" with size 14 feet, we'll see how it goes. I've hated the new SQ J seats, and haven't even been happy with sleeping in the new F (suites apart) for some time. When I let SQ know my thoughts in the past, the clear response was exactly what someone else alluded to earlier in this thread -- "most of our clientele are much shorter than you and they love the seats". Hard to argue with that.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: SK Gold (*G)
I have a flight on a A350 in J in May. Obviously the row 11 seats were already taken. All the other bulkhead seats seem to be blocked. Is it possible to reserve them any other way? Perhaps calling SQ?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 12:05 am

Yes you can call in to have the bassinet seats assigned to you (Row 19 on A350) and so far I've had no problems unless they were already taken by someone else.

I suppose you run the risk of someone who legitimately needs the bassinet requesting for one very late, and SQ moving you.. but hasn't happen to me so far.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
I did two flights last week on the A350 in seats 11K then 11A. I didn't notice noise from the galley, but the crew constantly accessing the closet by 11K was bothersome. It seems to be the place they store their personal belongings, so open/shut all flight long.

In regards to the seat itself, it is just cheap-- all plastic surrounds. I notice that whenever the seat behind opened or closed the tray table, compartment, etc., my entire seat felt it. In addition, there is considerable noise form the flooring itself as the crew stomps down the aisle. The seat itself was comfortable, however when flipped into a bed, the bed is rock hard.

After two long haul flights on the A350 I will go out of my way to avoid it.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: SK Gold (*G)
Originally Posted by pokfur
Yes you can call in to have the bassinet seats assigned to you (Row 19 on A350) and so far I've had no problems unless they were already taken by someone else.

I suppose you run the risk of someone who legitimately needs the bassinet requesting for one very late, and SQ moving you.. but hasn't happen to me so far.
Thanks! I called them and it was indeed possible to reserve a seat at row 19. Just like you mentioned, they did warn me there is a chance I might be moved. Fingers crossed
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sonomawine
I did two flights last week on the A350 in seats 11K then 11A. I didn't notice noise from the galley, but the crew constantly accessing the closet by 11K was bothersome. It seems to be the place they store their personal belongings, so open/shut all flight long.
Good to know the potential noise issues with 11K.

I've got 11A selected on some flights in July, was the location of the bathroom in front of this seat an issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.