Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The SQ A350 - shockingly bad J-class seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SQ A350 - shockingly bad J-class seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FN-GM
It's a decent J seat compared to BA.
Originally Posted by demue
Erm, if we start comparing things to BA pretty much anything SQ wins hands down.
Right. A more pertinent question is how does it compare to CX, BR, NH, etc. Not well, I'm afraid. Though SQ still wins on food quality.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by Clack
Was excited to take my first A350 flight the other day from JNB-SIN. Cool-looking plane from the outside, nice curved winglets, and anticipating the usual good SQ service.

My excitement quickly turned to confusion and then extreme annoyance as I settled into window seat 17K. First, I am 6'2" (188cm) - tall but not inordinately so. I sit down and discover that I cannot even straighten my legs while sitting upright - the seat in front is too close and with no open space underneath. There is more room in economy to put your feet under the seat in front of you! Only if you angle your feet toward the window can you extend your legs much at all, and that's not great on the back. I've never seen this in a business-class seat before, and certainly not on SQ.

Then, if things can even get worse, the full-flat seat is a joke. Again you must angle yourself with feet closer to the window, but your feet and lower legs have to be stuffed inside a tiny opening. My US size-12 feet would not even fit! I had to try to sleep with my legs at an almost 90-degree angle. It was impossible to lay flat and extend my body.

This is such a massive failure for SQ, I can't believe this seat design made it through their review process (not sure if the fault of Airbus or some external vendor). It is literally useless for anyone over six feet tall. And I'm not some huge guy, I weigh 185 lbs, but it is not remotely comfortable to try to stuff your legs into this small compartment. I had a similar concern with United's new business seat that was rolled out a few years ago, but this is far worse.

So now for any overnight flight I have to make sure it's not an A350 or pick a different carrier. The video screen might be nice and large, but the inability to lay flat is a massive mistake on the part of SQ. I can't believe they blew it so badly, just to squeeze in another row of J seats. They will lose my for overnight long-haul if they roll out this crappy design all over the fleet.

1. 1.88m is pretty tall and especially more so in Asia - may I suggest for your next flight (if there is one) to request for the bulkhead rows 11 or 19 esp. with your US size 12 feet
2. The flip down bed doesn't bother me - I kinda like fiddling with it & it provides a firm and flat bed which I personally like
3. I really don't think there is more room in Y, I took a walk thru' the aircraft on MAN-SIN & the cabin was 95% full and it looked really uncomfortable with arms, feet and legs sticking out in the aisles & propped up on the bulkhead.
4. I tried one of the regular seats (rows 22/23) and it is true, the foot cubby is tiny and angled to the side so it does look uncomfortable for sleeping but then again, JAL 787-9 aircraft are configured almost the same with a tiny but deep foot cubby angled towards the aisle & I really had a hard time sleeping on the overnight flight to NRT. And there is no difference whether it was a bulkhead or regular seat - it's all exactly the same.

I hope you found an airline that suits you - I would love to hear which airline got your PPS $$
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:57 pm

Row 19 for non-PPS

I'm flying SQ22 on 4/15 in paid J. According to ExpertFlyer, row 19 is entirely open. I'm 6'2"/188cm, so it would be nice to have a little more space. However, I'm only KFEG so I'm not able to pick those seats online.

Is it worth giving SQ a call and asking them nicely? Has anyone had any luck with that?

Otherwise, they appear online 48 hours from departure, right?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by kaffir76
4. I tried one of the regular seats (rows 22/23) and it is true, the foot cubby is tiny and angled to the side so it does look uncomfortable for sleeping but then again, JAL 787-9 aircraft are configured almost the same with a tiny but deep foot cubby angled towards the aisle & I really had a hard time sleeping on the overnight flight to NRT. And there is no difference whether it was a bulkhead or regular seat - it's all exactly the same.
The major difference between JL 787-9 and the SQ long haul A350 is that JL one is straight in front, SQ long haul A350 one is to the side.

As a bad back sufferer, I cannot keep myself twisted if I want to avoid needing a wheelchair to get off. I'm short, but even a bit of a recline causes my feet to hit the 'bulge' from the seat in front. So, it really has very little legroom unless you twist yourself.
I'd say for most people, twisting wouldn't be quite such a problem, whereas it is rather difficult for me. Either I sit almost upright throughout the flight unless I get the bed down. Thankfully I haven't had any problem finding the bulkhead seat on my last 10 or so SQ flights on non-regional config so I have been able to avoid that problem.

On the other hand, I do like the SQ Regional A350 and 787 seats, and I don't mind the JL ones either, because the foot hole is right in front of my feet, and I don't need to twist.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Now in-flight on the a350 from BCN to SIN.

I am somewhat similar with OP that of 1.8m tall and a US 13 feet, plus a relatively heavy build. While I love the width of the chair when sitting up right, I don't find the sleeping position too comfortable, I need to sleep on the side and bend a bit to fit in the space, and I have better sleep on Cathay and Air China business class with their flat bed as my feet is not stuck in the hole.

Of course the others has much worse food but I generally expect nothing in-flight and sleep all the way, I guess the design was ok but they didn't have sufficient test on the range of people gotta fly them. A 1-2inch longer seat may do the trick but that's just my opinions .
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by fast passenger
I'm flying SQ22 on 4/15 in paid J. According to ExpertFlyer, row 19 is entirely open. I'm 6'2"/188cm, so it would be nice to have a little more space. However, I'm only KFEG so I'm not able to pick those seats online.

Is it worth giving SQ a call and asking them nicely? Has anyone had any luck with that?

Otherwise, they appear online 48 hours from departure, right?

Thanks in advance!
I got my seat 19K for both sectors SIN-IAH by calling in. It's worth a try, & definitely for your height
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
The major difference between JL 787-9 and the SQ long haul A350 is that JL one is straight in front, SQ long haul A350 one is to the side.

As a bad back sufferer, I cannot keep myself twisted if I want to avoid needing a wheelchair to get off.
I'm short, but even a bit of a recline causes my feet to hit the 'bulge' from the seat in front. So, it really has very little legroom unless you twist yourself.
I'd say for most people, twisting wouldn't be quite such a problem, whereas it is rather difficult for me. Either I sit almost upright throughout the flight unless I get the bed down.
Thankfully I haven't had any problem finding the bulkhead seat on my last 10 or so SQ flights on non-regional config so I have been able to avoid that problem.
On the other hand, I do like the SQ Regional A350 and 787 seats, and I don't mind the JL ones either, because the foot hole is right in front of my feet, and I don't need to twist.
Good points, I'm also a bad back sufferer so I feel your pain.
The problem with the JL seat is that the hole is long & narrow. Once I inserted my legs into the hole, I could not move (I am a side sleeper)
So I had to take them out & bend my knees. Must have looked awkward to anyone walking past.
Another (Japanese) pax behind me actually slept on his stomach

I like the Regional version too though it looks a bit narrow & vertical, not as spread out as the LH version.
There's also a gap between the window seats & the window.
Also the bulkhead rows do not have the extra foot cubby space that the LH version has, so on the Regional it doesn't really matter which seat you choose.
There is an extra storage/shelf for the bulkhead window seats between the window & the foot cubby.

LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:03 am

The problem with the JL seat is that the hole is long & narrow. Once I inserted my legs into the hole, I could not move (I am a side sleeper)
So I had to take them out & bend my knees. Must have looked awkward to anyone walking past.
That's a pain! I have small feet (European 35-36) so I essentially never have any issues with the size of the foot hole, but I can see it being problematic for a lot of people.

The bulkhead seat on 'non-regional' SQ flights solve the issue of those twist seats but if you book late, you might find them being occupied and that's my long-standing problems with SQ. Thankfully, a lot of my SQ F/Suite-less flights are 'regional' now, although BNE currently seems to be a mix of long haul and regional.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
QUOTE=demue;30864622]Erm, if we start comparing things to BA pretty much anything SQ wins hands down. Not much of a vote of confidence for SQ then. I have my gripes about the seat and think it is not that well designed for good lounging and sleeping, especially if you are 1.80m or taller. YMMV.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
That's a pain! I have small feet (European 35-36) so I essentially never have any issues with the size of the foot hole, but I can see it being problematic for a lot of people.

The bulkhead seat on 'non-regional' SQ flights solve the issue of those twist seats but if you book late, you might find them being occupied and that's my long-standing problems with SQ. Thankfully, a lot of my SQ F/Suite-less flights are 'regional' now, although BNE currently seems to be a mix of long haul and regional.
Another (Japanese) pax behind me actually slept on his stomach

I like the Regional version too though it looks a bit narrow & vertical, not as spread out as the LH version.
There's also a gap between the window seats & the window.
Also the bulkhead rows do not have the extra foot cubby space that the LH version has, so on the Regional it doesn't really matter which seat you choose.
There is an extra storage/shelf for the bulkhead window seats between the window & the foot cubby.

Have you seen the new British Airways “Club Suite” ?
Why didn’t SQ think of them ? ? Costs ? Bean counting yet again
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
BA is taking their first A350 deliveries in July 2019 and will probably be deploying this new seat across their network for years (they won't be retiring their 747s using their old seat until 2024).

SQ took their first A350 delivery in March 2016 and kept the seat consistent with their other longhaul J products (77W, A380) until they decided to start taking midhaul A350s with a different lie-flat product (note that SQ flies much better J hard product short/midhaul than BA does- Club Europe is Y with blocked middle).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
+1. By 2025, when supposedly the BA fleet will be fully switched to the new suite, one can do another comparison to SQ. Let's see how things stack up then.

Don't get me wrong, the BA seat looks good, a very decent decision. I only wish they had taken that step 5-6 years ago and would not be facing the prospect of current Club World on majority of fleet for another 3 years or so before the scales may start to tip in favor of the new product to become the more dominant one.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Even though I really love the Club Suite concept, I wouldn't necessarily think ill of SQ for not implementing it. It's only QR and BA with 'doors' in J (and BA's Club Suite isn't flying yet), isn't it?

It also has a risk of adversely affecting F traffic. I know I'd prefer Club Suite to BA 777 F.

What I have against SQ J is the twist seat... Now that, I still cannot possibly work out how anyone sane thought that was a good idea!

Still, despite my feelings against them they managed get enough revenue from me to give me the PPS by driving me to Suite instead... Things work in mysterious ways
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:05 am

I just arrived home in Brooklyn after flying SQ22 in J on April 15. I tried and failed to get one of the bulkhead seats 48 hours and then 24 hours out. So, I ended up in my originally-picked 25A, an aisle seat about halfway through the rear J cabin. I am 6'2" and ~210 lbs, so I had low expectations after reading this thread and the SQ21/22 thread.

I thought the seat was fantastic.

Storage: I loved the sliding-door compartment in the top-left corner of the console. That's where my eye mask, glasses, earplugs, hand sanitizer, and moisturizer go. I also liked that it is "legal" to keep a small bag beneath the console during takeoff and landing. The headphone bin was also useful for keeping my phone connected to the AC plug but out of sight during the flight. The seat storage was so much better than the 2006 J product that I am most familiar with from SQ25/26, especially non-window 2006 J seats, since they lack the large bin on the side. The ledge on the console for drinks was nicely out of the way. I didn't fear dumping a cup of coffee all over the seat by bumping it with my arm or elbow. The table effortlessly adjusted vertically, and also could be angled JUST enough out of the way so I could exit the seat without folding the table away.

Sitting: The seat had a very comfortable upright position that is good for eating. In a lot of J seats, I feel like there is a major splatter risk (especially from noodle soup) unless I awkwardly sit forward and hunch over the table. I have definitely ruined a shirt with spicy oil in the BR Royal Laurel seat before because I neglected to hunch over the table. I didn't find that was necessary with the SQ A350 J seat. The seat is very supportive and just soft enough. I think the seat would also be ideal for working on a laptop, and also because the table glides up and down for good keyboard positioning.

Lounging: This was the only drawback to the seat, since you DO have to angle your torso so your feet can go in the footwell when the seat is maximally reclined. However, I didn't think it was that bad. The seat is wide and it has such a high side that I just used the big square pillow to make the angled position comfortable. It wasn't nearly as comfortable as the QSuite or BR seat for lounging, though.

Sleeping: This was the seat's biggest strength. I am a big person, and I loved the room for my shoulders and arms when the seat was in flat bed mode. I am a side sleeper, and I found that my arms and legs all had a place to go when lying on both sides. This made the seat better than reverse herringbone seats like the BR seat, which is narrow and constrains side-sleepers. The seatbelt was comfortable, much more so than the 2006 J seat. It was easy to roll over without being impeded by the belt. I also had room to lie fully extended on my back without my feet touching the end of the footwell. Lying diagonally wasn't weird because the flipped-over bed is a smooth surface—there aren't any cushion gaps to make you feel like you're at an angle. The footwell is indeed narrow, but it is also tall, so my size 12 feet had plenty of space vertically when lying on my back. Folding the seat to make the bed (and vice-versa) was a little annoying. I could fold it out myself, but I didn't have the ability to fold it back. Luckily, SQ FAs are always available to help. Their method was actually to sit on the edge of the bed and use their body weight to unlock it so it could be folded back, which was really funny and a complete design flaw in the mechanism. Despite this, the fold-out bed provided a seamless sleeping surface and a clean storage space for the blanket and the 2 smaller pillows so you don't have to deal with them in sitting/lounging mode.

Screen/controller/controls: The screen is of high quality, but I wish it was touch-enabled. The newer KrisWorld LOOKS like a touch UI, and the screen is so close to your face, it feels unnatural to reach over for the controller to do things. I didn't mind the controller, though, and the whole system was nicely responsive so who cares. Some folks have complained about bumping the controls on edge of the seat, but that didn't happen to me. I thought the seat lighting was bright but well-focused.

Location: The bulkhead seats offer more space for sure. But the row 15 bulkhead seats are next to the middle galley, which seemed to be the main galley on SQ22, and was almost always busy. There are also toilets here, so passengers (not FAs) are always leaving the curtain ajar on bathroom trips. The only J seats I would definitely avoid are the ones at the rear of each J cabin, especially in the back of the second one. Due to the fact there are only 4 toilets for J passengers on the ULR, there were sometimes people waiting their turn and that waiting area was close to these seats.

Overall: I think the SQ A350 seat is tied with the QSuite, and better than the BR seat, which is the (excellent) J product I have spent the most time in. It is way better than the 2006 SQ J seat and it blows away the old SQ regional J seats. As a side sleeper, it is also more comfortable than the coffin-like J seats on LX, CA, or CZ.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
SQ’s J class product on the long haul aircraft is a shocker and not up to standard that I would come to expect from an airline such as SQ.

A complete disappointment.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:16 pm

14K for SIN-BLR .. I'm assuming this should be ok (it's a short flight), can change as the cabin is relatively empty ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.