Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The SQ A350 - shockingly bad J-class seat

The SQ A350 - shockingly bad J-class seat

Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lkar
I almost felt like I flew a different seat than everyone has been talking about.
Maybe it was the Champagne
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Haha, could be the champagne.

It is a very personal judgement in my book. I'm with Kacee on this and not the biggest fan of the seat. Is it horrible? No it is not, but I can't get very comfortable on it neither when lounging (my feet get squished under the IFE screen if I go to full Lounge Position 2 which is the one I prefer) nor sleeping (back side of seat is too hard and in side sleeping position the arm I lie on goes numb after a while). Also find the foot cubby hole too small. YMMV.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Maybe it was the Champagne
Given that the champagne started in the krisflyer lounge, very possible!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
4 of us flew SQ22 and the new seat sucks. its way to hard, and the stupid cubby hole sucks for sleeping. However lots of storage space. Oh and if you don't ask for the breakfast before landing in EWR you will not be offered anything even if you are awake.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:19 am

Flying SQ38 tonight and the J seat doesn’t seem too bad from 19A. What does bother me is the moron across the aisle who decided to go swimming in cologne before boarding this flight. Who knew that a smell could be so loud?? I can’t believe I have another 15 hours to go on this flight. Pray for me.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by jjangoo
Flying SQ38 tonight and the J seat doesn’t seem too bad from 19A. What does bother me is the moron across the aisle who decided to go swimming in cologne before boarding this flight. Who knew that a smell could be so loud?? I can’t believe I have another 15 hours to go on this flight. Pray for me.
Going a bit off topic but...

Like you I am sensitive to scents. Most of the time it just causes mild discomfort, which I can ignore, but some will trigger a migraine in large enough quantities.

I had a similar experience as yours on a BNE bound flight, which was unfortunately full in the J cabin I was booked in. I was so desperate to extricate myself from the overwhelming smell that I asked to be moved to economy. But the leading steward told me to wait, and managed to convince a pilot, who didn't mind the fragrance, to swap his crew rest seat with mine. I was very impressed by the out of box thinking. That overly perfumed woman, however, was none the wiser the trouble she had caused.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by cowie
Going a bit off topic but...

Like you I am sensitive to scents. Most of the time it just causes mild discomfort, which I can ignore, but some will trigger a migraine in large enough quantities.

I had a similar experience as yours on a BNE bound flight, which was unfortunately full in the J cabin I was booked in. I was so desperate to extricate myself from the overwhelming smell that I asked to be moved to economy. But the leading steward told me to wait, and managed to convince a pilot, who didn't mind the fragrance, to swap his crew rest seat with mine. I was very impressed by the out of box thinking. That overly perfumed woman, however, was none the wiser the trouble she had caused.
What quick thinking and reaction by the crew! The offender on my flight was some bigwig so I watched him get extra attention throughout the flight. The purser also stood in the aisle brown-nosing this passenger for hours, getting in the way of the meal service which is already quite lengthy on SQ.

Regarding the seat I can understand all the complaints. Even at 5’8” I couldn’t completely stretch out on bed mode without shifting my body diagonally towards the foot cubby. I saw a passenger in 24A who was about 6’6”. I saw him contorting his body in multiple positions throughout the flight but he never looked comfortable. I would’ve suggested he take the empty bulkhead seat but he slept for most of the flight.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:51 pm

has there been any response from SQ mgmt on the seats ?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by sunil
I would be surprsied if there was a direct response to this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Pretty sure large airlines aren’t going to make decisions that have multi million dollar impact on capital expense based on some kvetching in one thread in a FF board. LH isn’t ripping out their J product based on everyone complaining about playing footsie over in that forum.

I wouldn’t expect anything to change until SQ standardizes on a different longhaul J product.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
I shall be sleeping soundly on the flight, no matter how bad the seat is.
Another 90 min. to go & I'm literally falling asleep in the the SKL
p/s I am in 19K

Last edited by kaffir76; Mar 7, 2019 at 9:24 am Reason: 19Keeeelooooo
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Well I have no problem with these seats at all - I think there are probably quite many more satisfied travellers than not.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by fimo
Well I have no problem with these seats at all - I think there are probably quite many more satisfied travellers than not.
Agreed. And while I didn't like it at first, I was happy to slum in SQ J than on BA.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Agreed. And while I didn't like it at first, I was happy to slum in SQ J than on BA.
100% with this. It's a decent J seat compared to BA.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Erm, if we start comparing things to BA pretty much anything SQ wins hands down. Not much of a vote of confidence for SQ then. I have my gripes about the seat and think it is not that well designed for good lounging and sleeping, especially if you are 1.80m or taller. YMMV.
jjangoo likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.