FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   A380 F seat 2A (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1804258-a380-f-seat-2a.html)

ExSin Nov 24, 2016 8:22 am

A380 F seat 2A

Hello all,

Just recounting a recent experience - and want to check with everyone if they also felt the same.

I will start with saying I love SQ F, even though there is a general consensus in the service decline (overall SQ). So this is no way I am beating the product soft or hard.

I was in seat 2A , overnight flight and dead tired. Post meal et all , bed was made and I sneaked into the comfortable bed. However I felt it was excessively noisy, and no way it was noise from then engine. (A380 is pretty quit, you rarely get to hear the engine even close to window seats in Y).
Woke up mid night for water and again had trouble sleeping back as I was almost angry/ frustrated at how could it be so noisy. My best guess is it was aircon noise.

Anyone felt the same?

:confused:

SMK77 Nov 24, 2016 5:19 pm

The A380 is objectively a lot quieter and less noise than the 77W (that you fly regularly to enjoy F). I have never had any problems in any of the seats in row 2 or 3. With almost no traffic, you can enjoy a very undisturbed sleep.

I flew the 77W back from Dubai in F and was surprised how much noisier those old birds are compared to the A380.

SQShortFinal Nov 24, 2016 6:01 pm

Once, I was in 3A and they offered to make my bed in 4A, which was empty. Bad mistake, the galley noise was horrible because it is right there. 2A shouldn't be affected by galley noise. Care to elaborate about the noises?

On the topic of A380 v 777, there is much less ambient noise in the A380, I agree, but I actually find that a problem. You can hear someone cough halfway across the biz cabin because it is a quieter cabin. I much prefer having more white noise that you get with a 777, it tends to drown out more coughs, plates clinking, lavatory door slamming...

Annalisa12 Nov 25, 2016 1:13 am

Been in 2A too. I too didn't think it was particularly quiet either.

It was excruciatingly hot too.

Thunderroad Nov 25, 2016 1:05 pm

Sorry to hear about the OP's experience, but...

Originally Posted by SQShortFinal (Post 27524206)
On the topic of A380 v 777, there is much less ambient noise in the A380, I agree, but I actually find that a problem. You can hear someone cough halfway across the biz cabin because it is a quieter cabin. I much prefer having more white noise that you get with a 777, it tends to drown out more coughs, plates clinking, lavatory door slamming...

That's my experience and preference as well. White noise doesn't bother me at all. In fact, some devices for facilitating sleep employ white noise toward that end.

I guess for any kind of noise, using ear plugs or noise-canceling headphones will help somewhat.

FlyerEC Nov 25, 2016 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 27524944)
Been in 2A too. I too didn't think it was particularly quiet either.

It was excruciatingly hot too.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad (Post 27526646)
Sorry to hear about the OP's experience, but...

That's my experience and preference as well. White noise doesn't bother me at all. In fact, some devices for facilitating sleep employ white noise toward that end.

I guess for any kind of noise, using ear plugs or noise-canceling headphones will help somewhat.

^ Bring my own ear / headphones / plugs
Often use 2A as sleeping suite with another for day as no centre suites neighbours to contend with .

Temperatures seem like an issue as many passengers love it warm :rolleyes:
However , I always request it to be lowered . Others can wrap themselves all they want . It is advisable for those who like it cool to " dress " down only to a certain level ;) .

You won't find me wearing those pjs either , too hot / warm with the long sleeves .

Annalisa12 Nov 25, 2016 9:23 pm

The white noise doesn't bother me. I was just under the impression from others and stories about the A380 that it was so quiet. The only difference i noticed was on takeoff there was no creaking and shaking of overhead compartments as Suites didn't have any

ExSin Nov 25, 2016 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by SQShortFinal (Post 27524206)
Once, I was in 3A and they offered to make my bed in 4A, which was empty. Bad mistake, the galley noise was horrible because it is right there. 2A shouldn't be affected by galley noise. Care to elaborate about the noises?

Yes, it was white noise.
I absolutely agree, A380 is so much quieter, hence I mentioned Y, that too next to the wing is so quiet.

However, this was not your usual white noise, this was, perhaps air-con types noise- the one like in which only one air con vent was open and was hence noisy. On the same lines, the cabin was perfect temperature, not to warm, not cold.

Other noise like gallery noise / plates or lavs did not reach me.

Guess next time I am selecting 2A again to find out what it could have been.