Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Leave Carry-On in Private Room during Singapore Layover Excursion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, AA Platinum, UA Gold

Hello Krisflyers...Couple quick questions. Wife and I will be arriving 0500 into SIN and leaving later that day at 2030 in Suites. Inbound to SIN will be on CX from HKG and not on the same reservation as the Suites flight.

Would I be able preprint boarding passes prior to arrival and have immediate access to TPR upon landing in SIN?

Can we leave our carry-ons in the lounge while we take a long layover tour of Singapore... About 10 hours?

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:49 pm

My layover was SQ to SQ so I'm not sure about your boarding pass question. Regarding the carry-on, we requested them to keep our bag but they said no and that I would have to use one of the baggage storage facilities in the terminal area. I believe the cost was approx $7 USD. It would be a nice service if they could keep our carry-ons in TPR.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
As the previous poster says, you're almost definitely not going to be able to store your bags at TPR.

There are left luggage/bag storage counters in the terminal (airside) that you can store your bags in for a fairly nominal fee. They're a little tricky to find, but the staff at the airport (try the info desks, or even lounge staff) should be more than happy to point you in the right direction.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by unclemax
Hello Krisflyers...Couple quick questions. Wife and I will be arriving 0500 into SIN and leaving later that day at 2030 in Suites. Inbound to SIN will be on CX from HKG and not on the same reservation as the Suites flight.

Would I be able preprint boarding passes prior to arrival and have immediate access to TPR upon landing in SIN?

Can we leave our carry-ons in the lounge while we take a long layover tour of Singapore... About 10 hours?

Thanks for your help!
According to this thread, CX no longer interline to SQ if on separate tickets.

SQ interline baggage with CX?

If you do online check-in, you should be able to pre print your boarding passes.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification. It looks like I'll just have to use the pay-storage for the day.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Regarding the carry-on, we requested them to keep our bag but they said no and that I would have to use one of the baggage storage facilities in the terminal area. I believe the cost was approx $7 USD. It would be a nice service if they could keep our carry-ons in TPR.
Originally Posted by chisquared
As the previous poster says, you're almost definitely not going to be able to store your bags at TPR.

There are left luggage/bag storage counters in the terminal (airside) that you can store your bags in for a fairly nominal fee. They're a little tricky to find, but the staff at the airport (try the info desks, or even lounge staff) should be more than happy to point you in the right direction.
For a top tier lounge this is a poor customer experience. Both The Pier in HKG and the JAL F Lounge in NRT have lockers for passengers to store their luggage whilst in the lounge or terminal.

The only justification I'd potentially consider valid is security as screening is done at the gate in SIN, but the SKL used to have storage lockers years ago.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I asked to leave my carry on bag in TPR to go shopping in the terminal and was told no i couldn't leave it.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I often leave my bag in the J Lounge to go for a walk around the terminals.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
A couple of times in recent years, my wife and I left our bags at the desk in TRP for several hours while strolling around the airport. Not sure if it's possible for as long a layover as yours, though.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I asked to leave my carry on bag in TPR to go shopping in the terminal and was told no i couldn't leave it.
Why did you ask? Why not just do it?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Well, actually, at least in our experience we left the luggage with the desk personnel, who simply kept it behind them. I'd think that simply leaving it sitting around for 12 hours without anyone minding it could raise concerns.

My advice for the OP would be to obtain your SQ F boarding passes before going to TPR, preferably before getting to SIN but if not at the Transit desk there; then have breakfast at the TPR (provided it is even open and serving breakfast so early); then ask about leaving your bags; and if you can't then fall back on the easily accessible general baggage storage service.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
My layover was SQ to SQ so I'm not sure about your boarding pass question. Regarding the carry-on, we requested them to keep our bag but they said no and that I would have to use one of the baggage storage facilities in the terminal area. I believe the cost was approx $7 USD. It would be a nice service if they could keep our carry-ons in TPR.
What you're asking them to do is accept legal liability for anything that happens to your bags while in their possession. Of course they're not going to do that. All unattended baggage is at your own risk, no-one else's. If you think there are no opportunistic thieves travelling First Class, or working as cleaners or staff, then leave your bags unattended for hours. I recall leaving a small item unintentionally in the main area of an SQ lounge when transiting Singapore. On arrival at my next port I contacted the lounge. "Oh no", they replied, "nothing has been handed in".

Many lounges have luggage cubicles next to Reception where hand-held luggage is often placed by passengers, and it's probably as safe there as anywhere. However I would never dream of asking Reception if it's OK to leave something there when exiting the lounge even briefly. They will always say "No"
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Well, actually, at least in our experience we left the luggage with the desk personnel, who simply kept it behind them. I'd think that simply leaving it sitting around for 12 hours without anyone minding it could raise concerns.

My advice for the OP would be to obtain your SQ F boarding passes before going to TPR, preferably before getting to SIN but if not at the Transit desk there; then have breakfast at the TPR (provided it is even open and serving breakfast so early); then ask about leaving your bags; and if you can't then fall back on the easily accessible general baggage storage service.
This will be my exact tactic, and I assume that I will end up just renting storage for the layover. I can't imagine just leaving the bags with an attendant or behind a desk. I had hoped that TPR might have lockable cubicles like the JAL first lounge in NRT. I guess I should be happy there is any airport storage at all...
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Because there is no place to leave it so i asked the staff to mind it behind the counter thing. I wouldn't leave my bag unattended as it might not be there when i got back or security picked it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.