Departures Board TPR

Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF SQ VA CX DL UA PR MH MU
Departures Board TPR

I was in TPR last night and went to check status 237 to MEL - lo and behold the departure board mounted on wall was removed last Thur Oct 13 - so there is absolutely zero visual indication of flt deps / gates / delays / gate changes etc - you now must go seek out SQ staff member on duty to ascertain any info.

SQ Lounge staff adamant removal was not an SQ initiative rather Changi Airport Group who have decreed dep board no longer warranted in TPR and would not be maintained so they removed it. SQ lease this space and in no way own it - clearly little control over it also - this is madness in the extreme.

Dep boards still exist at entry to SKL F and J Lounges but not TPR - go figure - I will certainly be sending off an expression of my utter disatisfaction in the strongest terms with this action to [email protected] - I respectfully request as many as possible please do the same - it is lunacy.

You can now get your suit pressed in TPR but you cannot find out your flt dep time / gate etc without physically seeking out a SQ staff member who are not always manning desk at entrance.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Yes, a bit crazy, but these days I rarely check departure board anyway ... either I leave at a specific time (depending on gate) before the flight time (if it is on time), or if it is running late then I check the Changi app on my phone - it shows same information as the screens anyway.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Last month dep PVG I left my iPhone on back seat of taxi - never saw it again - that would make it difficult to check deps on phone - there are 1,000 reasons why a visible dep board is an absolute positive if not a must - a lot easier to glance at board to check updates as you pass by to toilets or out to DF shop or out to bar on F section to have a drink and chat to batman or a host of other reasons - it's nothing short of lunacy.
HarbourGent likes this.

Last edited by Cruiser Elite; Oct 15, 2016 at 11:35 pm
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:51 pm

Yes but this is typical "cannot" attitude in this part of the world ie. cannot and blame the airport. Sorry - SQ could at the very install a screen with a mirrored ipad on it feeding the departure screen from the app or something. But that would require some sort of lateral thinking - which isn't going to happen. It's got to be inside the box or not at all.

I do agree with you, it is ridiculous. Especially in a first pax only lounge. What the staff could do is ask you ok entry at what stage do you wish to leave the lounge and alert you when the boarding process reached that stage - ie. a personal touch.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:52 pm

The information above isnt correct. While the airport authority decide where to place the departure boards in the public area of the terminal building, SIA decides if it should be placed in TPR.

Of course, asking for a departure board in TPR would cost them money but SIA can request for it and ask for it to be customised to only show SIA flights.
davidj1 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cruiser Elite
SQ Lounge staff adamant removal was not an SQ initiative rather Changi Airport Group who have decreed dep board no longer warranted in TPR and would not be maintained so they removed it.
You were given the usual 'go away' excuse one can expect when dealing with customer service in Singapore. Any self-respecting first class lounge would not treat their customers with such contempt. SQ have a HUGE amount of sway at Changi. It's particularly prominent from an air traffic control perspective, but that is a separate matter. But for her to try and argue that SQ had no say in the matter is entirely misleading.

This is no doubt a cost cutting measure but what I would advise you to do is tell a lounge dragon upon entry into TPR to come and find you when your flight is boarding. It's what I did.

I'm still hoping it's a temporary thing and they bring it back.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Staff were perfect - 2 staff members were actually sitting at the desk working away on some dolce when I casually approached looking for the board which was no longer there - they watched as I looked in amazement then asked them where has the board gone - they then advised me of the process which saw it removed then added that they know every pax and which flt they are on - anybody who is a regular in TPR understands this - they went on to say they would advise me of flt status.

OK OK that is fine - but I do not need to be babysat - I also take interest in other flts - in the degree of delays etc etc - it is just unfathomable that this board was removed for whatever reason.

I have already sent off feedback to both SQ and Changi Airport Group - I will post their responses when received - I totally reject the SQ staff response was a fob off or deflection from SQs responsibilities - I have a rship with lounge staff that would not result in such responses.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:38 am

I fully expect the lounge staff were authentically relaying message from management. I also expect there would be a cannot attitude from management.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:49 am
Suspended

Wow talk about a storm in a teacup
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:36 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It is an inconvenience. I vary my departure time from the lounge based on the gate, on time status, and other factors.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Just another little aside - you now reqd to input the wifi code SKL to connect to wifi in SKL J, F and TPR - once connected connection good for 30 days - apparently too much wifi 'capacity' was being used by non lounge pax down below Lounges in transit area and gates A1 to A8 waiting area.

Oh and there is also a new 'Garment Steaming Cabinet' situated in TPR - allegedly you hang garments in there and a steam process takes wrinkles out.

How handy is that - you can get your suit pressed but you cannot find out which gate or what time your flt leaves without go asking someone. Sounds more like CA F in PVG or PEK than TPR operation. But I await responses to emails already sent.

Last edited by Cruiser Elite; Oct 16, 2016 at 3:39 am
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:28 pm
Suspended

How handy is that - you can get your suit pressed but you cannot find out which gate or what time your flt leaves without go asking someone. Sounds more like CA F in PVG or PEK than TPR operation. But I await responses to emails already sent.
This really is utter nonsense. Do you seriously expect any action because you sent an e-mail? Are you so helpless that you don't know how to download an app? A departures board in the lounge is helpful, but its removal in no way justifies the level of indignation you are showing. If your point was that you are a regular user of TPR - we get it. So are many of us. Move on.
davidj1, 17cc and chisquared like this.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Goes to show that you can't please everybody all the time.

I suppose lounge staff are responsible for ensuring TPR pax are given personal alerts when it's time for them to head to their boarding gate. So it isn't entirely unreasonable for some SQ boffin to have decided that the pax shouldn't need to check the screens for their own departures
davidj1 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Oh and there is also a new 'Garment Steaming Cabinet' situated in TPR - allegedly you hang garments in there and a steam process takes wrinkles out.
Fantastic novelty. I'll give it a go next week to have my jacket steamed whilst I enjoy brunch in the dining area
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Well, I had my jacket steamed and it came back nice and warm.

It didn't have any wrinkles so probably didn't benefit from the treatment but as mentioned above it's a nice novelty, and located just near the entrance end of the long TPR proper.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.