Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Credit card verification at SQ checking counter

Old Oct 5, 16, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Hi Experts,
Please advise if the CC used to book ticket need to be activated during check in. The booking charge already posted in my acct and I also already paid off the balance. I plan to cancel my CC months before the actual travel date but still keep it in case they need to see it at the checking counter. Will they swipe it for any reason? Thanks
Old Oct 5, 16, 3:12 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Gold, EK Gold, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hondaman82 View Post
Hi Experts,
Please advise if the CC used to book ticket need to be activated during check in. The booking charge already posted in my acct and I also already paid off the balance. I plan to cancel my CC months before the actual travel date but still keep it in case they need to see it at the checking counter. Will they swipe it for any reason? Thanks
For all my flights from NZ they have just wanted to see the credit card used.

For one flight in First the AKL SQ Airport Manager rang to remind me about making sure I had my credit card that I had used to book.
Old Oct 5, 16, 3:12 pm

Hi Experts,
They have never swiped it for me. It is possible to book a flight and have that flight happen after the credit card expires. They just want to know you have it and that there isnt any sort of fraud.

Last edited by hsumh316; Oct 5, 16 at 3:18 pm
Old Oct 5, 16, 7:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
... in case they need to see it at the checking counter.
Where are you flying from? In all my dozens of SQ flights departing SIN, I've never been asked to show a credit card.
Old Oct 5, 16, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Hi Shuigao, from SFO to SIN.
Old Oct 5, 16, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Hi Experts,
"Credit Card Verification" search =
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...-question.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...ook-check.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...ion-check.html
Old Oct 5, 16, 8:13 pm

Hi Experts,
I will call the contact centre to confirm. (and hopefully someone who have flown from SFO will be able to post his/her experience).

Once I was told that I needed to go to the Customer Service Centre or the airport to verify my credit card. I'm thinking this is because it's an offline payment since I gave my credit card details over the phone.

Otherwise, it should be quite straightforward if the payment is made online.
Old Oct 5, 16, 10:07 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Very obscure policy. I have never been asked any credit card at SQ checkin, anywhere in the world.
Old Oct 5, 16, 11:34 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
If I am not mistaken this is dependent on 1) how you purchased your ticket, and/or 2) how secure your credit card is.

For 1), if you purchased it through an agent, SQ should not ask for your credit card as you are not paying SQ directly. It is the agent's responsibility to ensure that they can collect payment from you, not SQ's.

For 2), this is for situations where you have purchased a ticket directly from SQ's website. If your credit card does not have added authorization such as the 2FA (two-factor authentication) where the credit card company/bank sends you a text with a code or you use a token to key in a code during payment, then SQ may request for the physical card.

As an example, I recently purchased my SQ tickets via expedia which did not require the 2FA. However, I had absolutely no problems checking in or traveling because expedia was confident that it was able to collect my money. On the other hand, I had also booked directly from SQ's website and had to go through the 2FA process, which was sufficient enough not to require a credit card check at check-in.

Hope this helps but please don't quote me!
Old Oct 6, 16, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Basically -

You won't be asked to show the cc used to book on its website if you went through the extra security procedures eg Verify by Visa, Secure by Mastercard etc. If you cc has these features, you may even book the ticket for someone else. If you cancel your card before you travel, you need to keep the actual card and show IF requested. If you lost your card, you will need to get a letter from your bank stating the old card # and the new card # and the reason why you have a different card.

The only time you are asked to show the cc (and its not to swipe the card, but they will need it to verify the last four digits used only)... is if your cc does not have those features, and you did not go through the extra security protocol.

You will not need to show your cc if you booked through an OTA, or an actual travel agency.

SQ not the only airline doing this. Most airlines in Asia doing similar procedure.
Old Oct 6, 16, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
From June 2016

"Air Canada credit card verification policy leaves woman stranded in Thailand"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...land-1.3635524
Old Oct 6, 16, 11:06 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I've never had an issue with CC verification at airports, but many factors play into this. As previous posters mentioned, if your card has an extra security/verification feature then it is less likely you will be asked to present it. Anorther factor would be the ground agent, some just ask for it for whatever arbitrary reason they can think of and since it is in the booking conditions that you need to present it if asked, I always just bring it with me (or proof that I had the card with me, usually a letter from my bank, when I booked in case it was lost or stolen).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: