Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 suites + 1 economy possible

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:43 am
Original Poster

2 suites + 1 economy possible

If my wife and I are traveling with a toddler, can we save some points by booking 2 Suites and 1 Economy instead of 3 Suites?

On check-in, my wife and kid would sit in Suites. I would sit in economy. After take-off, I join them. Is it possible? Will they kick me out during turbulence when we are supposed to fasten seat beats? Is it frowned upon?

I'd prefer not to book 3 Suites. My 3 year old does not need a Suite for himself. Besides, we would all hang out in the 2 connected suites anyway. (don't think 3 can connect). Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:16 am

Seriously?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Yeah you can book it the way you would like.

Just that you have to sit, all the way at the seat which shows on your BP
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tycosiao
you have to sit, all the way at the seat which shows on your BP
Not sure this is true. Oftentimes, when I fly, I can move to another seat once the plane has taken off. I'm pretty sure I can join others in Suites once the plane takes off. I'm not taking another person's seat - just joining them, and there is more than enough room to spare.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:18 pm
Suspended

If you buy an economy seat, the next time you will see your family will be after leaving the aircraft.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by darkhound
Not sure this is true. Oftentimes, when I fly, I can move to another seat once the plane has taken off. I'm pretty sure I can join others in Suites once the plane takes off. I'm not taking another person's seat - just joining them, and there is more than enough room to spare.
Um, it's very unlikely that SQ will allow you to join your family. They can visit you but it's unlikely that you will be let up there willy nilly.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
I have asked the crew this question before. I have been categorically told that one may move within cabins and one may move cabins down (eg from Suites to Business). Moving cabins up (eg from Business to Suites) have to be (1) brief AND (2) requires permission from the crew, to keep the cabin exclusive to those who have paid to sit in there.

In the best case scenario, in an empty Suites cabin, the crew might allow you to join your wife and baby for a meal, but you'll have to spend the rest of your flight in economy. In the worst case scenario, you might be asked to remain in your seat and any visits to be done by your wife instead.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Originally Posted by cowie
In the best case scenario, in an empty Suites cabin, the crew might allow you to join your wife and baby for a meal, but you'll have to spend the rest of your flight in economy. In the worst case scenario, you might be asked to remain in your seat and any visits to be done by your wife instead.
The worst case scenario is actually the highly likely scenario...
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:13 pm
THR

The worst case scenario is the best case scenario for all other passengers. It really is a ridiculous question.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:19 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Why not just book 3 economy seats then and move to Suites after takeoff? Probably cheaper too.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by nux
Why not just book 3 economy seats then and move to Suites after takeoff? Probably cheaper too.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

I have asked the crew this question before.
I mean, I wasn't exactly going to ask them for permission I'm actually pretty sure I can swing this. It has worked on other airlines, where I just swing up. As long as you're not disruptive and don't eat their food, no one cares. In the Suites, you can actually close the door and window, and ask for privacy, so it is even less conspicuous. I'd just go over and close the door behind me.

In the best case scenario, in an empty Suites cabin
I wouldn't need or take an empty Suites cabin. I'd be booking 2 Suites already, so they would lower the barrier between the two to create a room with a double bed. More than enough room for us.

Originally Posted by nux
That won't work (especially with 3 people) because all the Suites will probably be taken. Having said that, I have done this successfully when I was by myself on other airlines - moving up to business class where there a single empty business class seat.

But if you already have 2 Suites (turned into a closed room, requesting privacy), I think I'll be able to go up and simply close the door behind me.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I mean, I wasn't exactly going to ask them for permission I'm actually pretty sure I can swing this. It has worked on other airlines, where I just swing up. As long as you're not disruptive and don't eat their food, no one cares. In the Suites, you can actually close the door and window, and ask for privacy, so it is even less conspicuous. I'd just go over and close the door behind me.

I wouldn't need or take an empty Suites cabin. I'd be booking 2 Suites already, so they would lower the barrier between the two to create a room with a double bed. More than enough room for us.

That won't work (especially with 3 people) because all the Suites will probably be taken. Having said that, I have done this successfully when I was by myself on other airlines - moving up to business class where there a single empty business class seat.

But if you already have 2 Suites (turned into a closed room, requesting privacy), I think I'll be able to go up and simply close the door behind me.
What a wonderful idea. Why buy it honestly when you can just steal it? .
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
You sound like a fine, upstanding human being.
I don't really see how this is different than manufactured spending, churning, applying for credit cards you are not entitled to through loopholes, etc., which is what like half the conversations on this website are devoted to.

It's just another way to get a better deal at the expense of the inattentiveness of a big company, whether that is an airline or a bank.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
I don't really see how this is different than manufactured spending, churning, applying for credit cards you are not entitled to through loopholes, etc., which is what like half the conversations on this website are devoted to.

It's just another way to get a better deal at the expense of the inattentiveness of a big company, whether that is an airline or a bank.
Wow. Just wow. Why bother asking us here then? Just go ahead and do it if you feel so confident about it.

Last edited by cowie; Oct 2, 2016 at 10:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.