Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines new route = Singapore to Jakarta to Sydney!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G

Sydney Airports Twitter page has posted a tweet with a SQ aircraft with the caption

"Another week, another new route announcement.

Where could it possibly be? More info to come soon! "

Any ideas what it could be?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by pepsi1336
Sydney Airports Twitter page has posted a tweet with a SQ aircraft with the caption

"Another week, another new route announcement.

Where could it possibly be? More info to come soon! "

Any ideas what it could be?
I expect the SQ aircraft could be a bit misleading. Can't see what other routes they could possibly fly out of SYD other than tags to NZ. I expect it is probably another Chinese carrier secondary city route, perhaps referring to recently filed China Eastern service to Kunming on routesonline website last week.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Looks like SQ will be flying SIN-CGK-SYD ...

http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-airlines-to-launch-sydney-jakarta-singapore-flights
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:53 pm

Singapore Airlines to launch thrice weekly B777-200ER services between Singapore, Jakarta and Sydney from November 23. The flights will run on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from Singapore, and on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from Sydney.

The SV-series B777s are configured with 26 business class, and 245 economy class seats.

Schedules are as follows:
SQ261 SIN 20.15-21.00 CGK 22.25-09.30+1 SYD
SQ262 SYD 11.00-14.35 CGK 15.35-18.10 SIN
Taken from NineVictor Facebook Page.

The SV Series is with the long-haul business class. I bet GA is pissed off with this latest development.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Official news from SQ!!

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s.../ne2616-160928
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:21 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thread title updated for route details.

Kiwi Flyer
SQ FT forum co-moderator
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Interesting move by SQ and good to see them expanding the route network again.

Both QF and GA have had it good on this route for a while so nice to have another option.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: QF WP
It is going to be very interesting, with all 3 major alliances featuring on this one single CGK-SYD route. SQ will have a bit of a fight though, especially with QF's A330 having almost completed their refurb.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
It is going to be very interesting, with all 3 major alliances featuring on this one single CGK-SYD route. SQ will have a bit of a fight though, especially with QF's A330 having almost completed their refurb.
The long haul J on the 777-200ER is better than QF J but the IFE really lets it down.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:38 am

this is SQ trying to re-define their Aussie strategy, I think.
as they faced fierce competition with ME3 expansion, relying to its regional feeder is a smart move. and Indonesia is by far is their biggest market in SE-Asia.

I won't be surprised if there will be Melbourne service via Jakarta (or Denpasar)
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Wow did Australia give them the 5th freedom rights to do that?
many a time ago they wanted to do SYD - LAX and Australia smacked that straight down
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by ermen
Wow did Australia give them the 5th freedom rights to do that?
many a time ago they wanted to do SYD - LAX and Australia smacked that straight down
The Air Service Agreement

Apparently those rights were negotiated a long time ago...

As you can see from the agreement Singapore got the worse end of the stick. But it doesn't matter since QF dropped all their connections beyond SIN due to the EK alliance.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
The Air Service Agreement

Apparently those rights were negotiated a long time ago...

As you can see from the agreement Singapore got the worse end of the stick. But it doesn't matter since QF dropped all their connections beyond SIN due to the EK alliance.
Singapore knew what they were getting into when they signed this, so they went in with eyes wide open. They wanted to develop SIN into an international air hub, and as a new independent national then (in 1967), they had little bargaining power.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:51 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
With all their statistics SQ would easily see the CGK-SIN-SYD load and would have concluded that they are sitting on a goldmile simply by flying CGK-SYD directly.

For many Indonesians flying SQ is like a status symbol and I can imagine that J will be heavily loaded.

I'm surprised they didn't put in a three class configuration for this flight as I would imagine there to be enough takers for First as well.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
With all their statistics SQ would easily see the CGK-SIN-SYD load and would have concluded that they are sitting on a goldmile simply by flying CGK-SYD directly.

For many Indonesians flying SQ is like a status symbol and I can imagine that J will be heavily loaded.

I'm surprised they didn't put in a three class configuration for this flight as I would imagine there to be enough takers for First as well.
Indeed. The number of people in The Private Room boarding the CGK flights was impressive.

GA have come a long way but don't have the cachet of SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.