Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Transfer 240K TY Pts to Singapore or Cathay?

Transfer 240K TY Pts to Singapore or Cathay?

Old Sep 16, 16, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Question Transfer 240K TY Pts to Singapore or Cathay?

I apologize for the newbie question, as I am unfamiliar with the FF programs for KrisFlyer or Asia Miles but have flown both carriers.

I'm planning ahead for a potential North Asia trip (Japan, China, but leaning towards Korea) in the next two years. I have about 250,000 ThankYou points that need to be transferred by year's end, and I am not 100% sure if I should deposit them to KrisFlyer or Cathay's Asia Miles (they appear to be the only viable choices).

CX's award chart says 145K + 145K for two C tickets for USA-HKG-North Asia on metal or partner, while SIA appears to be 175K x 2 for USA-North Asia 1 & 2 on partner airlines (metal is 205K x 2 before the 15% discount from East USA). (I have no status with either carrier or alliance.)

The decision "seems" obvious, but I want to run it by the experts to see if I am missing something. I suppose access to Star Alliance carriers for Asia is a big plus, but would it offset the ≥60K mile difference? I could probably earn an additional ~60K TY Points to meet the difference, but I would rather focus my spending elsewhere.

Your thoughts?

Thank you.

Last edited by nomorecoach; Sep 16, 16 at 5:00 pm Reason: Misunderstood that companion ticket mileage is only for paid tickets.
Old Sep 16, 16, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by nomorecoach View Post

CX's award chart says 145K + 95K for two C tickets for USA-HKG-North Asia on metal or partner.
Where did you get this calculation?

7501-10000 miles - RT is 145,000 for 1 C ticket. Where are you getting the 95K?
Old Sep 16, 16, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caimaster View Post
CX's award chart says 145K + 95K for two C tickets for USA-HKG-North Asia on metal or partner.
Where did you get this calculation?

7501-10000 miles - RT is 145,000 for 1 C ticket. Where are you getting the 95K?
Perhaps I misunderstood the award chart. The companion tickets are only for paid tickets? So, if that's the case, then SIA is only 60K more points?

I'll fix my original post.

Last edited by nomorecoach; Sep 16, 16 at 4:57 pm
Old Sep 16, 16, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The #1 concern is the award inventory availability, which SQ is way much better than CX.
Old Sep 16, 16, 10:41 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
One thing about SQ awards, if you are willing to pay or use different lot of points for your intra-US sectors (depending on where you are located), you can do LAX to either ICN or NRT on SQ for 131,750 per passenger, inclusive of the online booking discount. Of course if you want to up to include other star alliance carriers it will be 175,000 per passenger.
Old Sep 17, 16, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
The #1 concern is the award inventory availability, which SQ is way much better than CX.
Are you referring to partner availability, because when I checked on SQ's website, everything appeared to be waitlisted for their metal?
Old Sep 17, 16, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
One thing about SQ awards, if you are willing to pay or use different lot of points for your intra-US sectors (depending on where you are located), you can do LAX to either ICN or NRT on SQ for 131,750 per passenger, inclusive of the online booking discount. Of course if you want to up to include other star alliance carriers it will be 175,000 per passenger.
I see that LAX-NRT/ICN availability is quite good, but unfortunately, I would fly out of the Northeast (BOS, JFK, EWR), so LAX would not work for me, unless I find a United flight to LAX. I'm checking UA, and I don't see any C flights; only Y and F saver and F standard.
  • Does UA not provide C cabins for transcon flights?
  • And does SQ require UA flights to have standard availability, or are saver awards okay?
Old Sep 17, 16, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Are you referring to partner availability, because when I checked on SQ's website, everything appeared to be waitlisted for their metal?
No, but as general.

1. You are planning an award travel that is almost 2 years away. The inventory is definitely not in existence.

2. Generally, SQ has a better inventory (including partners) than CX.
Old Sep 18, 16, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

No, but as general.

1. You are planning an award travel that is almost 2 years away. The inventory is definitely not in existence.

2. Generally, SQ has a better inventory (including partners) than CX.
You are saying the inventory is not existent, but at the same time, SQ has better inventory?

At least for SQ metal one year out, it appears that West USA to North Asia is good, but for folks in the East, CX metal might be better. Is that a fair assessment?
Old Sep 18, 16, 6:04 pm

You are saying the inventory is not existent, but at the same time, SQ has better inventory?
Yes.

1. You can't book anything beyond 1 year roughly. So if you are looking for the award inventory beyond that, they do not exist.

2. SQ generally has a better award inventory than CX. At the minimum, SQ is willing to release inventory more than CX.

At least for SQ metal one year out, it appears that West USA to North Asia is good, but for folks in the East, CX metal might be better. Is that a fair assessment?
No. A fair guess on this is SQ does not serve East Coast as more often than CX.

However, depending on your routes, SQ's partners (such as AC, UA) will serve you better than CX and CX's partner.
Old Sep 18, 16, 9:59 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Just a thought, but Citi have a 50% bonus for transferring to BA Avios at the moment.
http://livefromalounge.boardingarea....citi-to-avios/

I think you'll pay a fuel surcharge, but BA is oneworld, so you should be able to use them on Cathay.
Old Sep 18, 16, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Starriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by w4rd View Post
Just a thought, but Citi have a 50% bonus for transferring to BA Avios at the moment.
http://livefromalounge.boardingarea....citi-to-avios/

I think you'll pay a fuel surcharge, but BA is oneworld, so you should be able to use them on Cathay.
Promo not applicable for US-based Citi TYP cardholders.
Old Sep 18, 16, 10:25 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp View Post
Promo not applicable for US-based Citi TYP cardholders.
Ok, sorry about that.
Old Sep 18, 16, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Yes.

1. You can't book anything beyond 1 year roughly. So if you are looking for the award inventory beyond that, they do not exist.

2. SQ generally has a better award inventory than CX. At the minimum, SQ is willing to release inventory more than CX.
Better inventory from Northeast USA to Asia? How so? Because you keep mentioning better inventory for flights that, in your own words, "do no exist." And, SQ's willingness to release more inventory from a single flight from the Northeast is going to be better than CX's SEVEN flights out of the same airports? That's preposterous.

No. A fair guess on this is SQ does not serve East Coast as more often than CX.
No? If SQ doesn't serve East USA as more often than CX, then one can reasonably conclude that CX may be better, so the answer is YES. From further research in the past two days, that appears to be the case. Like I mentioned, CX has seven flights out of JFK, EWR, and BOS, while SQ has just one (out of JFK). How would CX not be better? Of course CX is better, at least in C awards to Asia from the Northeast!

Thank you:
  • caimaster for pointing out the companion ticket rule;
  • lokijuh for the west coast options; and
  • w4rd and Jimgotkp for the BA replies.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 24, 16 at 2:08 pm Reason: remove unneccessary comment
Old Sep 19, 16, 5:44 am

That's preposterous.
Try booking a AM award reservation and see.

Like I mentioned, CX has seven flights out of JFK, EWR, and BOS, while SQ has just one (out of JFK). How would CX not be better? Of course CX is better, at least in C awards to Asia from the Northeast!
You seem to mix-up 2 separate issue - the actual flight availability and award inventory.

In short - having 7 flights in the region does not automatically mean you will have more inventory. It merely means your chance could be higher.

Also - since you mention you are traveling to N. Asia, so the actual inventory varies based on your routing as well. Even having USA-HKG award inventory does not mean you can get outside of HKG.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: