Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore not renewing lease on A380

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
What it means is fewer of the 'old' lighter Business seating & interior décor and more of the BMW interiors, which IMO are inferior.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by TA
So, is it that SQ gets newer, more technologically updated generation of A380s and gets rid of the first versions? Would they not get better lease rates if they kept these, or do they have obligations on those new ones that they cannot back out of and don't want an excess of A380s?
SQ have a long tradition of getting rid of aircraft once they are about 10 years old or so...
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
funny how the journalist says it's a blow for Airbus. In fact they are just replacing 5 old planes by 5 new. Not sure where is the blow ....
I agree that journalist took the impact on airbus out of context but I think there will be an impact. One lingering reality for Airbus is when one of these whales hit's the second hand market - which has yet to happen. A portion of aircraft value is in it's long term or re-sale value. When A380's start hitting the second hand market, and get parked in the desert as their drops it will have a negative impact on any future the A380 has.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Madone59
I agree that journalist took the impact on airbus out of context but I think there will be an impact. One lingering reality for Airbus is when one of these whales hit's the second hand market - which has yet to happen. A portion of aircraft value is in it's long term or re-sale value. When A380's start hitting the second hand market, and get parked in the desert as their drops it will have a negative impact on any future the A380 has.
I have talked to an executive in another airline who tried to have a look at the second hand market for A380s - there are zero buyers. It's simply a white elephant in the sky.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
I have talked to an executive in another airline who tried to have a look at the second hand market for A380s - there are zero buyers. It's simply a white elephant in the sky.
This is not good..not good at all. I wonder if the cost to operate one just hinders any prospective leasers who want to use it as a charter aircraft.

MH still have not got offers for their's even though they have technically taken them off the market (they actually are still being marketed around China at the moment for sale).
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:23 pm

Just curious - does SQ own any of the A380s that they are flying now, or are they all on lease?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by SQ319
Just curious - does SQ own any of the A380s that they are flying now, or are they all on lease?
The first few are leased, although I'm not certain of the actual details. Others might be able to fill in on this.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:34 pm

The majority are owned. 5 of the early ones are leased.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Phaze
The majority are owned. 5 of the early ones are leased.
I presume the owned ones will stay with SQ a bit longer compared to the leased ones.

Did early-built A380s face weight problems like early 787s did? If it did, it would perhaps make sense for SQ to ditch the first five leased ones as soon as practicably possible yet not cede their 'first to fly A380' prestige tag.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:16 am

I'm not qualified to say if they caused 'issues' per se but yes the new ones are slightly lighter according to Airbus.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Singapore Airlines Is Retiring Five A380 Aircraft....May 18 2017, by Lucky

Didn't want to start a new thread
-------

Interesting article. Among other things, he explains why SIA is retiring the old ones and replacing them with the new 380s (which we know from comments made last September)

Also, he links to SIA's May 18 2017 PDF on financial performance and a section on fleet management.

Singapore Airlines Is Retiring Five A380 Aircraft — Will They Find A New Home?

MAY 18, 2017 BY LUCKY

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...fleet-renewal/
Old May 19, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
If anyone on here would like one of the old A380's, you can get them here

https://www.avbuyer.com/aircraft/pri...us/A380/350143
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:38 pm
THR

There is speculation that Sydney might be the first to be upgraded, as per last time. Does anyone know any more on this?

I am wanting to book a redemption next year on either SQ222 or SQ232 (11am and 3pm departures); wonder whether either are more probable?

Looking to book F to either SYD --> LHR or SYD --> CDG.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by THR
There is speculation that Sydney might be the first to be upgraded, as per last time. Does anyone know any more on this?

I am wanting to book a redemption next year on either SQ222 or SQ232 (11am and 3pm departures); wonder whether either are more probable?

Looking to book F to either SYD --> LHR or SYD --> CDG.
No one knows for sure at this point, but i would bank in SQ221 ex-SIN as this is a good red-eye timing. Maybe SQ212 ex-SYD?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:26 pm
THR

Originally Posted by terbangalways
No one knows for sure at this point, but i would bank in SQ221 ex-SIN as this is a good red-eye timing. Maybe SQ212 ex-SYD?
SQ212 is currently a 773 though - so unless they're planning on switching other scheduled craft around, is it not more likely they replace one of the existing A380s?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.