Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore not renewing lease on A380

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:54 am

Not to mention that it went directly from teething issues to ageing issues without the usual stability in between (SQ flight crews' words, not mine).
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Originally Posted by BOB W
The A380 program has lived off of billions of dollars (euros) of subsidies the let the phat phreak fly. While I have flown it many times and like the experience, there has never been an economically reasonable path to profitability with this airplane. Few airports can take it, airlines can't fill it, Airbus can't sell it, a freighter version is impossible. It's time to cut their losses and move on to selling planes than may actually make money for the businesses that fly them.
Somewhat selective view. Fantastic aircraft to fly in. Designed for high density major hub to hub routes, most of which can accommodate the aircraft (look at the places EK flies it to). Some airlines (e.g. BA) with capacity constrained airports (e.g. LHR) routinely fill the premium cabins (& econ or 'coach' to those across the pond). In fact BA have gone on record saying they want more but are currently banking on picking up second hand models at lower pricing.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wow, new suites!!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Yes, SQ will replace the 5 leased A380s, their eldest A380s, with newer & directly owned A380s. They could delay for penalty but they have no need to if production & delivery stay on date. The leasing company is the one with potential problems. Finding a new customer for a used & oldest generation A380 is potentially going to be tough.
I don't think even Delta would take them and Delta loves a used plane deal. For some reason I keep thinking of TK as an option for such route sat JFK/LAX-IST-HKG/BKK/TYO.
I used to think TK would be a potential buyer but after recent events there's no chance. They've been cutting flights left and right.

I'd say there's a very small chance NH could take them if they are pleased with the performance of the ex-Skymark A380s they were forced to take though I think that is highly unlikely.

Maybe some new entity will make a go at it and try to flood a market somewhere. This would never happen but it would be humorous to see a LCC like Spirit take one of these and just run an all Y shuttle between say JFK and LAX or JFK and LHR.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Duke787
. This would never happen but it would be humorous to see a LCC like Spirit take one of these and just run an all Y shuttle between say JFK and LAX or JFK and LHR.
Don't know about Spirit, but have often wondered if it would make sense for cobranded aircraft - for one company to fly the plan and run the cabin on one level of the aircraft and lease out the other level to another airline to run that cabin (assuming resolution of any regulatory issues). Sort of taking codesharing to a new level.

As an example, MEL/SIN sees both SQ/Scoot operating at similar times as well as QF/Jetstar. One wonders if SQ or QF could have downstairs and Scoot or Jetstar could crew and service upstairs. Probably still cheaper just two operate two twin engines such as 777+787 (SQ/Scoot) or 333+787 (QF/JQ), and more profitable with the combined freight capacity of two aircraft.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Don't know about Spirit, but have often wondered if it would make sense for cobranded aircraft - for one company to fly the plan and run the cabin on one level of the aircraft and lease out the other level to another airline to run that cabin (assuming resolution of any regulatory issues). Sort of taking codesharing to a new level.

As an example, MEL/SIN sees both SQ/Scoot operating at similar times as well as QF/Jetstar. One wonders if SQ or QF could have downstairs and Scoot or Jetstar could crew and service upstairs. Probably still cheaper just two operate two twin engines such as 777+787 (SQ/Scoot) or 333+787 (QF/JQ), and more profitable with the combined freight capacity of two aircraft.
But who will get the parachutes when the engines fail?

Joke aside, this is a very interesting idea. The biggest drawback would be operational inflexibility, unless SQ/TZ can find enough routes to make it worthwhile keeping that specially configured fleet going.

Can't wait to see SQ's five-class A380: suites, business, premium economy, economy, and scootnomy.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by cowie
Can't wait to see SQ's five-class A380: suites, business, premium economy, economy, and scootnomy.
Six. Scoot has scootbiz ("business class") as well.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:45 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by shuigao
Six. Scoot has scootbiz ("business class") as well.
Time for a reader's exercise: where would you slot scootbiz in my lineup above?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by cowie
Time for a reader's exercise: where would you slot scootbiz in my lineup above?
suites, business, premium economy, Scootbiz, economy, and scootnomy
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by BOB W
The A380 program has lived off of billions of dollars (euros) of subsidies the let the phat phreak fly. While I have flown it many times and like the experience, there has never been an economically reasonable path to profitability with this airplane. Few airports can take it, airlines can't fill it, Airbus can't sell it, a freighter version is impossible. It's time to cut their losses and move on to selling planes than may actually make money for the businesses that fly them.
You must have missed that the program started to show a profit last year, and even with the lower build rate now predicted will continue to do so.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
For some reason I keep thinking of TK as an option for such route sat JFK/LAX-IST-HKG/BKK/TYO.
After what happened this summer twice at IST, I do not think TK will have the opportunity to expand anymore - for the foreseeable future.

My take on the A380:
The airline industry has changed in the last 15 years. Its not just due to the Dreamliner.
20 years ago it was normal that most (high yielding and longhaul) city pairs were like that:
Origin -> Hub A -> Hub B -> Destination (example HAM-FRA-PEK-XIY or WAW-MUC-SFO-SAN)
The A380 is a good fit to fly from Hub A to Hub B on a longhaul route.
Today most global carrier can now offer Origin -> Hub -> Destination.
(example HAM-HEL-XIY or WAW-LHR-SAN)
Because of these one-stop options, there are not enough (high yield) pax to fill an A380 on FRA-PEK or MUC-SFO.
High yield pax today require frequency - even on longhaul.
On PEK-FRA, CA flies twice a day (an overnight Boeing 787-9; an daytime Boeing 747 or 777).
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
This would never happen but it would be humorous to see a LCC like Spirit take one of these and just run an all Y shuttle between say JFK and LAX or JFK and LHR.
At first I was thinking that sounds right up Ryanair's alley, even if just short term for a publicity stunt, then I remembered that there's no way the middle of nowhere airports Ryanair flies into could handle an A380.

So, it will have to be Spirit Airlines, and they'll have to have a raunchy marketing campaign focusing on the fact that theirs is bigger than everyone else's.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by t325
At first I was thinking that sounds right up Ryanair's alley, even if just short term for a publicity stunt, then I remembered that there's no way the middle of nowhere airports Ryanair flies into could handle an A380.
A lot of Ryanair destinations are former military airfields, so runway length and strength is not an issue. Making passengers get on a bus, or queue for facilities, is not an issue when they're paying rock bottom prices.

I'm not so sure it will happen, but not due to the airports' capabilities.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:25 pm

So does this mean they stop flying A380 from JFK to Frankfurt anymore? Or that's the case for October 2017?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Why would that happen? 5 of the eldest A380s will be return starting in October spread over a period of time which will most likely coincide with deliveries of new aircraft.
The JFK-FRA-SIN route was at one time seasonly changed but have been pretty steadily A380 for awhile now and in my experience having good load factors on the JKF-FRA segments.

Originally Posted by flybie
So does this mean they stop flying A380 from JFK to Frankfurt anymore? Or that's the case for October 2017?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.