FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   SQ A350 J seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1785841-sq-a350-j-seats.html)

gnomey Aug 20, 2016 3:02 am

SQ A350 J seats

will be taking a SQ flight in the new A350 plane for over 11 hours, a red-eye flight.

currently i have a choice of all cabin seats as none is taken yet
there are 3 of us traveling (parents + myself)
i know i want window, but still trying to decide whether to place my parents in the middle two seats, or place them in the two window seats behind me

cabin is 1-2-1 as you know

questions i have

1) what are the features you can get at a window seat (beside the view), that you cant find in the middle seats? is there side storage? the only thing i know is window seat has overhead bin but middle seats dont.

2) how easy is it to talk to a person who is seated behind you, if both of you are seated by the windows?

3) i like bulkhead window seat in general, but row 11 bulkhead window is apparently next to a narrower aisle due to the plane's curvature (not sure if i m really bothered by this). but is the seat itself narrower in width, or same as the rest? not to say i have a kardashian butt but still... :p . row 19 (bassinet bulkhead) is out since i m not willing to risk being re-seated

thanks in advance for any insights!

Guy Betsy Aug 20, 2016 9:58 am

Originally Posted by gnomey (Post 27092017)
i know i want window, but still trying to decide whether to place my parents in the middle two seats, or place them in the two window seats behind me

1. Why don't you just ask them...

questions i have

1) what are the features you can get at a window seat (beside the view), that you cant find in the middle seats? is there side storage? the only thing i know is window seat has overhead bin but middle seats dont.
You put your bag in the cubby hole in front of you.

2) how easy is it to talk to a person who is seated behind you, if both of you are seated by the windows?
You get up and go back or front of you to talk.

3) i like bulkhead window seat in general, but row 11 bulkhead window is apparently next to a narrower aisle due to the plane's curvature (not sure if i m really bothered by this). but is the seat itself narrower in width, or same as the rest? not to say i have a kardashian butt but still... :p . row 19 (bassinet bulkhead) is out since i m not willing to risk being re-seated

thanks in advance for any insights!
So take a few rows back.

FlyerEC Aug 21, 2016 3:28 pm

Was on 11A . Seat seemed about the same size .
This plane is generally " narrower " , aisles , entry to seat . The floor slopes up where ones feet are supposed to rest which makes it a nuisance for placing things inflight .
But sustained some bumps due to narrower configuration , toes , elbows ' navigating ' the plane . The the trolleys meet the ' same ' fate :(
Forgot to check if my parents had the same issues too with their seats , was busy nursing wounds ;) .

My father prefers a window so was behind me .

Not a choice of mine , a Boeing 777 any time .
Chose the flight for Boeing but there was an aircraft change !

gnomey Aug 21, 2016 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 27098468)
Was on 11A . Seat seemed about the same size .
This plane is generally " narrower " , aisles , entry to seat . The floor slopes up where ones feet are supposed to rest which makes it a nuisance for placing things inflight .
But sustained some bumps due to narrower configuration , toes , elbows ' navigating ' the plane . The the trolleys meet the ' same ' fate :(
Forgot to check if my parents had the same issues too with their seats , was busy nursing wounds ;) .

My father prefers a window so was behind me .

Not a choice of mine , a Boeing 777 any time .
Chose the flight for Boeing but there was an aircraft change !

thanks for the in-person experience! yeah, it definitely looks narrower from youtube. but the upward slope thing will definitely bug me too :rolleyes:
does the slope upward thing only exist in row 11? will there be same problem had you sat further back (i.e., non-bulkhead window seat)

FlyerEC Aug 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey (Post 27098940)
thanks for the in-person experience! yeah, it definitely looks narrower from youtube. but the upward slope thing will definitely bug me too :rolleyes:
does the slope upward thing only exist in row 11? will there be same problem had you sat further back (i.e., non-bulkhead window seat)

Only 11 A or K / bulkhead seats for me .
Don ' t need that wide a seat really
From what I gather , slopes for every seat :rolleyes:

Hope they don't do similar for other aircraft :o

So will rule out those lh non stop flights for me :(
Wonder why they don't plan carefully / properly . Suspect those on planning team do not fly that often or perhaps only in Y & are :confused: about what makes flying SQ enjoyable besides the decent inflight teams

And F isn't an option on this plane too

gnomey Aug 23, 2016 2:34 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 27103742)
Only 11 A or K / bulkhead seats for me .
Don ' t need that wide a seat really
From what I gather , slopes for every seat :rolleyes:

Hope they don't do similar for other aircraft :o

So will rule out those lh non stop flights for me :(
Wonder why they don't plan carefully / properly . Suspect those on planning team do not fly that often or perhaps only in Y & are :confused: about what makes flying SQ enjoyable besides the decent inflight teams

And F isn't an option on this plane too

haha yeah. for me i will be taking a the new 777-300ER on one segment and A350 on another . just to see how they differ. but i think like you said, the 777-300ER will be much better. but the online pictures look really sleek for A350

Jaunt411 Sep 10, 2016 9:27 pm

I had my first A350 J experiences on SQ208 MEL-SIN in 15A and SQ207 SIN-MEL in 15K.

I liked the new IFE once I got used to it, but still long for touch screens like Air NZ J.
The location of the USB ports is much better, being in the back of your seat rather than next to your screen.

The arm rest area also houses the pop-up table and pop-up headphone compartment, and I found I kept popping these open as I rested my arm on them.

Some of the window shades are very hard to open & close due to the shape of the seat modules.

And for sleeping, I felt more cramped than I had on my accompanying A380 J SIN-ZRH flights.

So, all up I preferred the old A380 J and would be happy to see SQ207/208 revert to B777.

Phaze Sep 11, 2016 12:47 am

Very accurate Jaunt411 - agreed all round. It's a cramped product comparative to the usual 777 and 380s. I really hope they remedy it for the ULR product.

gnomey Sep 11, 2016 12:51 am

interesting. thanks for sharing your experience!

will be taking the new 777 before the 350.

so looking fwd to comparing both.

vade Sep 12, 2016 8:29 pm

Will be taking the A350 in J for SIN-SFO. Which cabin would you recommend? The main J cabin or the smaller one behind? Aside from the bulkhead seats, any difference in the rest of the seats? I'm now in 22A (last row of J).

gnomey Sep 12, 2016 8:44 pm

generally i stay away from the cabin where there is bassinet...

GwailoSIN Sep 13, 2016 10:21 pm

Is the A350 less noisy than the 777-300 ER?
And did you feel better/ more relaxed at the end of the flight (due to the lower cabin pressure)?

Jaunt411 Sep 14, 2016 12:23 am

Originally Posted by GwailoSIN (Post 27209119)
Is the A350 less noisy than the 777-300 ER?

I always use Bose in-ear noise-reduction headphones, so I didn't notice.

Originally Posted by GwailoSIN (Post 27209119)
And did you feel better/ more relaxed at the end of the flight (due to the lower cabin pressure)?

Once again, didn't notice anything. Same when I tried the B787 Dreamliner.

TGGDEL Sep 14, 2016 5:37 pm

Interesting, I felt a noticeable difference on both the 787 and the a350. Perhaps even more so on the a350.

Jaunt411 Sep 14, 2016 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by TGGDEL (Post 27213161)
Interesting, I felt a noticeable difference on both the 787 and the a350. Perhaps even more so on the a350.

Maybe if I only flew SIN-MEL legs I'd notice a difference, but I always have connecting A380 SIN-ZRH flights for an overall 24+ hours travelling. So, even with the comforts of a J seat, and some newer technology, I still end up feeling a bit the worse for it.