Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Showing Credit Card used to book at check-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

I've read a few different places that sometimes you need to present the credit card you used to purchase a ticket (or pay fees on an award) at the time of check-in.

My question is, what happens if I cancelled that card, or lost the card and had a new one (with new number) issued?

What steps do I need to take to ensure I don't get denied at check-in?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Velocity, Miles & More
This has happened to me. I had left the card in a petrol station the previous day. I had to fill out a declaration and provide alternative credit card details in case they needed to bill me for something.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Where are you departing from? I've never been asked to show a credit card on SQ at SIN, JHB, HKG, NRT, KUL (the only places I've ever flown to/from on SQ).
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: CX Gold
What's the point of asking for the credit card used to purchase the tickets?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by boybi
What's the point of asking for the credit card used to purchase the tickets?
In the era before SMS OTP, this was used to prove that the tickets were not bought using stolen credit card details.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by tango3
In the era before SMS OTP, this was used to prove that the tickets were not bought using stolen credit card details.
That feature, the SMS OTP is only available from certain countries, most notably in Asia. Elsewhere , it is the Verify by Visa, Mastercard Secure and Amex's Safekey feature would do the trick.

Many online websites, such as SQ's require secondary verification when purchasing your ticket online. If you went through all the above features, then you need not produce your credit card used at check in. If not, a popup will tell you to do so.

If someone else purchased a ticket for you (other than award booking), again, if his/her creditcard went through the above security features, you will not be asked to produce the card. If not, then your purchaser must go to the nearest SQ branch and sign a waiver form.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:20 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
My experience with both TG and SQ is "you're screwed". However, I haven't been asked to produce the credit card for the last several trips on SQ. even for passengers on a separate PNR but paid for with my credit card, so you may be OK. If only the expiry date has changed, it's never been aproblem anyway
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:57 am

If you still have the cancelled card bring it with you.
If you lost or had the card stolen bring a copy of the statement, with original booking card numbers, with the charges for the flight.
Make a copy of your cards either with photocopier or on your mobile phone.

It was about 4 years ago I was asked at Sydney for the card used and I showed a new card as the original card used for booking tickets was lost/stolen.

Now I have a very unique Polish family name and my passport details match the credit card details, Westpac KrisFlyer Platinum, which also matched the ticket details but I was still told that I needed to produce evidence that I had actually booked and paid for the tickets and if I could produce the statement with the charges that would be sufficient, but who takes an 11 month old statement with them to an overseas holiday? I had to go to the Singapore Air office and get my credit card provider to fax me a copy of that statement.

This was one very pedantic checkin staff that was doing her job to the letter so if you run into her then the afore mentioned 3 steps will be ok.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuigao
Where are you departing from?
I have LAX to NRT, and then also DPS to SIN on SQ and SIN to CNX on Silk Air.

Right at the bottom of the itinerary I printed from SQ's website says:

If payment is made via credit and/or debit card(s), you may be required to present the credit and/or debit card(s) used for verification prior to your departure.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTWFF
My experience with both TG and SQ is "you're screwed". However, I haven't been asked to produce the credit card for the last several trips on SQ. even for passengers on a separate PNR but paid for with my credit card, so you may be OK. If only the expiry date has changed, it's never been aproblem anyway
I certainly hope I'm not screwed.

This is my honeymoon and I have been planning it for a year.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
That feature, the SMS OTP is only available from certain countries, most notably in Asia. Elsewhere , it is the Verify by Visa, Mastercard Secure and Amex's Safekey feature would do the trick.

Many online websites, such as SQ's require secondary verification when purchasing your ticket online. If you went through all the above features, then you need not produce your credit card used at check in. If not, a popup will tell you to do so.

If someone else purchased a ticket for you (other than award booking), again, if his/her creditcard went through the above security features, you will not be asked to produce the card. If not, then your purchaser must go to the nearest SQ branch and sign a waiver form.
The taxes on this award were paid for using my fiancee's credit card. We most definitely had to go through the Secure MasterCard process so hopefully that takes care of it.

I'm just a little frightened by the fact that the itinerary i just downloaded from SQ's website has this at the bottom:

If payment is made via credit and/or debit card(s), you may be required to present the credit and/or debit card(s) used for verification prior to your departure.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:42 am

I'm concerned about this right now too. I'm flying home on an award ticket soon, and didn't bring the card used for booking on this trip.

I called SQ to ask them to refund the taxes and charge it to a card that I do have with me. But the agent looked up my reservation and said that because it's an award ticket, I wouldn't have to show the card anyway. I'm not convinced this is true.

FWIW, my checkin email doesn't mention showing the card, but I do see that notice if I use the SQ app on my phone. I'll print out my statement with the charges and bring it with me, just in case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.