Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ gives Schooling 1 million miles + KF elite gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ gives Schooling 1 million miles + KF elite gold

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:09 pm

SQ also downgraded 2 First Class passengers for Joseph Schooling and his mum. He needs the rest before the crazy whirlwind 4-day victory lap and media frenzy in SIngapore before he returns to the US again for his studies.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vid...41010292934%2F

Last edited by SQ319; Aug 14, 2016 at 8:13 pm Reason: Wrong link
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Was he flying F or J?
Looks like J to me based on this video
Edit: on closer look it is F

Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Box10
Will the IRS try to tax it?

The US tax bite is worse than in Singapore.

$1M in Singapore dollars (roughly US$750k) from the Singaporean government would be a welcome payment! However, US$750k doesn't go very far in Singapore. Real estate is very expensive. Car prices are crazy (think US$100k to US$200k for an ordinary car or cheaper BMW).
If check is written on his name, and not on his parents name or some legal structure like LCC/Trust/etc, he will need to pay 39.6% Federal and applicable state and local taxes from that income because he is US tax resident (do not know his residency/citizenship status).

And if he won't pay or try to avoid paying for one reason or another, it would end up in quite a bad publicity - last thing you want is to have a headline ' Olympic Champion Is Tax Dodger' on newspapers/media.

But I'm sure with he current status/glory he would have enough financial/legal help to resolve problems appropriately.

P.S. Total sum before US taxes is less than USD 500K, take >40% away and remaining would be enough to buy a 3br house in Texas but won't be enough to buy a dog kennel in California, Boston and NY. The same (and even worse) situation is in Singapore - you can get HDB somewhere in Bishan/Punggol but to have a flat in condo you need to put one additional zero at the end.

P.P.S. At the end - even 300K is better than nothing.

Last edited by invisible; Aug 14, 2016 at 8:56 pm
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:58 pm
Community Director Emerita

In the article I posted above, it says that his award will be tax free.

While Schooling will be required to give 20 percent of his MAP incentive – amounting to S$200,000 – to the Singapore Swimming Association (SSA) for ‘future training and development’, he is still expected to pocket close to S$750,000 after taxes.

And following changes to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) rules last year, the University of Texas student will be able to keep every cent of that sum of money, reported US newspaper USA Today.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

While Schooling will be required to give 20 percent of his MAP incentive – amounting to S$200,000 – to the Singapore Swimming Association (SSA) for ‘future training and development’, he is still expected to pocket close to S$750,000 after taxes.

And following changes to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) rules last year, the University of Texas student will be able to keep every cent of that sum of money, reported US newspaper USA Today.
Just a sec. NCAA is not IRS. NCAA directs what their own students are eligible to get as a prize. IRS determines how much you will need to pay from the earned income.

Does anyone in any article say in that the money is tax free for US taxes?

Last edited by invisible; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:42 pm
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

It's not tax free in Singapore though. All award monies are taxable, as per Singapore National Olympic Council which is administering the award.
http://www.singaporeolympics.com/mul...programme-map/
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
A car is not really necessary in Singapore.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:14 pm
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
A couple of negative people on this thread.

Even though SIA is owned by the government, they don't owe him anything. It's quite generous that they decided to give him a F ticket back home as well as 1m miles. Of course it is marketing but still it is a nice gesture. Just enjoy the victory and stop critising everything. The people who critisice the most are generally those who don't amount to much..,,
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319
It's not tax free in Singapore though. All award monies are taxable, as per Singapore National Olympic Council which is administering the award.
http://www.singaporeolympics.com/mul...programme-map/
So my thoughts are that he will end up paying 17% Singapore taxes from $750K and from remaining he will have to pay US income taxes as well.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
I thought it was a nice gesture from SIA, obviously there is a PR element to all of this but it's a big achiement for Schooling and maiden Olympic Gold for Singapore so worth recognising.

Somebody at SQ might have thought the KF Gold card was a better match for the medal than the PPS Card, and that giving away Solitaire might be a bit much.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:44 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by invisible
So my thoughts are that he will end up paying 17% Singapore taxes from $750K and from remaining he will have to pay US income taxes as well.
I think someone commented earlier that the US doesn't tax such award.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by SQ319
SQ also downgraded 2 First Class passengers for Joseph Schooling and his mum. He needs the rest before the crazy whirlwind 4-day victory lap and media frenzy in SIngapore before he returns to the US again for his studies.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vid...41010292934%2F
really? i thought he flew Y?

I gave up C seat on BCN - SIN on 14-AUG and opt the flight on 12-AUG instead . I gave it up of him.

On my flight the F is quite empty. I saw one guy whom I think SQ steward flying on leisure sneak into it after took off. He supposed to be on C.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Fly-Swiss
A couple of negative people on this thread.

Even though SIA is owned by the government, they don't owe him anything. It's quite generous that they decided to give him a F ticket back home as well as 1m miles. Of course it is marketing but still it is a nice gesture. Just enjoy the victory and stop critising everything. The people who critisice the most are generally those who don't amount to much..,,
Of course whatever SQ gives him, it is SQ generosity. But like many said it can be better. SQ is not money losing business anyway.

I think he deserves 1 unlimited business class seat on SQ flight (subject to avail).

My question, does that 1millions miles expires in 3 years? Can he extend it?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by lingua101
I think he deserves 1 unlimited business class seat on SQ flight (subject to avail).
Fly on J on SQ free for life? That's crazy talk.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
Fly on J on SQ free for life? That's crazy talk.
well why not? seriously how often he can fly? I believe most of the time he flies, it will be related to his swimming carrier anyway.

This guy made Singapore proud. How much really that cost to SQ? On the book may be something. In real, it costs SQ nothing.

If SQ can gives up F/C seat for their crew, why can't they give it to him?

As I said subject to T&C, i.e. not on peak season.

I do not think he will abuse it anyway.

Well if lifetime is too much, may be for the next 5 years until he wins another gold medal again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.