Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ drops IAH-DME, adds IAH-MAN-SIN

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Three more calls to SQ over the past day and still no resolution. All the "US" agents I've been getting insist that there are no more Thursday flights ex-IAH in their schedule and that they cannot rebook on OAL ("there's no SQ flight number on the UA flights so we can't book them", one of them told me, seriously...) so take SQ on Wednesday or full refund. Had half a mind to ask them what happens to IAH-DME pax if they can only rebook on SQ but they'd probably tell me they have to fly IAH-MAN-SIN-DME so I didn't bother.

SIN-based agents keep insisting that only the IAH/US reservations office can deal with the change and they claim they've put in requests for US reservations to call me back but no dice. Not going to call US reservations again since I'm pretty sure I'm just getting India/the Philippines who have no idea what's going on.

My guess is they're still working out agreements with OAL (hopefully LH and not UA) to take over the pax and will contact us eventually once they figure things out so I'd just sit tight for now. The lack of communication and the lying from all the phone agents is incredibly frustrating though. Have half a mind to go to the ION sales office when I get back to SIN in August and park myself there until I get some resolution (but seeing how things have gone so far they'd probably tell me to go to IAH and sort it out there ).

Originally Posted by rivlinm
Similar boat for me. April. In F. Have not gotten any calls or emails yet.

My options seem to be:

LH J (really y) MAN via FRA. Then SQ to IAH from MAN
LH J to FRA then LH F to IAH (Ideal)
SQ J to SIN then SQ F to LAX or SFO and UA on to IAH (I'd be happy to skip the UA segment and stay out west)
DME>SIN>MAN>IAH all in SQ F

What do you think they will offer? How can I push for LH F?
After 7 phone calls I can't even push for UA Y let alone LH lol. And from my experiences with the call center you might actually be able to get option 4 since it's the only one with SQ flight numbers

Last edited by truncated; Jul 24, 2016 at 10:16 pm
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
There's no US office. All English speaking reservations are located in India.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
There's no US office. All English speaking reservations are located in India.
That explains a lot. So if the SIN agents say they're going to get the US office to call me should I be expecting the same incompetence from India that I've been getting from calling the US reservations line? And if the SIN-based agents are unable to do anything any advice on how to reach someone actually empowered to resolve things like this?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Speaking to general reservation agents in a situation like this will often get you nowhere. They have limited powers and are not able to book OAL unless there is a SQ msg/memo authorising this; clearly SQ hasn't got this far yet. I would wait a while until alternatives have become available - you are not the only pax in this situation.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:16 pm

I'm in the different, but related, position that my SIN-MAN (op via MUC) has been cancelled, and I've been rebooked 21 hours earlier on the new direct service.

There's no service the following day, and the rebook is unworkable.

SQ has not covered itself in glory with long holds for the contact centre and, thus far, no practical solutions beyond the promise of further call backs from them.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I got lucky

This schedule change turned out to be awesome for me...!

So, I was originally booked on ZRH-SIN-HKG for ~105,000 miles, in F saver, for November. My work plans changed, and all of a sudden a trip to Europe for work was not happening anymore. Oddly enough, SQ charges the same number of miles for IAH-DME-SIN-HKG. Since I am based in DFW, that was a reasonable routing, since I would get much more time in SQ F, although ZRH is operated by A380 and IAH by an old 777. I made this change exactly 3 days before SQ announced that they were going to move IAH-DME to IAH-MAN.

This came with a schedule change, that would me make miss my connection in SIN.

After calling the Singapore call center, and explaining that I really needed to be in HKG by my original scheduled time, I proposed that they rebooked me out of JFK which, coincidentally, would connect with my original flight. Saver F on JFK-FRA-SIN was of course closed (is it ever available??), but the agent pushed the request through and today, for just SGD22 more in taxes, I was rebooked on the A380 out of JFK!

Overall, two nice upgrades for the same number of miles and just ~$70 in extra taxes/change fees!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Originally Posted by oneworld82
This schedule change turned out to be awesome for me...!

So, I was originally booked on ZRH-SIN-HKG for ~105,000 miles, in F saver, for November. My work plans changed, and all of a sudden a trip to Europe for work was not happening anymore. Oddly enough, SQ charges the same number of miles for IAH-DME-SIN-HKG. Since I am based in DFW, that was a reasonable routing, since I would get much more time in SQ F, although ZRH is operated by A380 and IAH by an old 777. I made this change exactly 3 days before SQ announced that they were going to move IAH-DME to IAH-MAN.

This came with a schedule change, that would me make miss my connection in SIN.

After calling the Singapore call center, and explaining that I really needed to be in HKG by my original scheduled time, I proposed that they rebooked me out of JFK which, coincidentally, would connect with my original flight. Saver F on JFK-FRA-SIN was of course closed (is it ever available??), but the agent pushed the request through and today, for just SGD22 more in taxes, I was rebooked on the A380 out of JFK!

Overall, two nice upgrades for the same number of miles and just ~$70 in extra taxes/change fees!
Good job!! That's great for you. I'm flying SQ61 IAH-DME next Tuesday and I think it'll be the last time I'll ever fly it. What the hell am I going to do with my KrisFlyer program miles?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Unfortunately, when you use miles you do so at your own peril when it comes to being protected on OAL's. However, keep in mind LH will open seats up from IAH, DFW & most other US gateways within 14 days of travel. (This is for F). SQ can't MAKE them do it earlier but
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:09 am

Was booked on SIN-IAH-DME in Feb. Deciding whether to keep the new SIN-MAN-IAH in F or drop it in favor of the more direct and timely SIN-SFO on the a350 in J.

The J product looks nice. Should I stay in F or drop for J?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:38 am

So, the U.K. APD is supposed to be refundable if you connect in the U.K., even on split tickets. That's great in theory, but not if the carrier won't comply. BA and AA are great, but I recently had to give up with IB. I'm looking at a MAN-IAH award that works great for us, but we would buy separate tix on Easyjet to get to MAN the night before. Anyone want to guess how Singapore will respond to the issue? It's an $800 savings, but if their customer service stinks on these kind of issues I might pass.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: UA
I have IAH-DME booked in Dec, award J, no status with SQ.

Should I expect a simple refund of miles and YQ or rebooking on *A, presumably LH/UA?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by lkar
So, the U.K. APD is supposed to be refundable if you connect in the U.K., even on split tickets. That's great in theory, but not if the carrier won't comply. BA and AA are great, but I recently had to give up with IB. I'm looking at a MAN-IAH award that works great for us, but we would buy separate tix on Easyjet to get to MAN the night before. Anyone want to guess how Singapore will respond to the issue? It's an $800 savings, but if their customer service stinks on these kind of issues I might pass.
I doubt they will rush to refund you money that they would say didn't go to them in the first place. Your certainly entitled to it if the stop is less then 24 hours & im pretty sure SQ will refund you anything due. But unfortunately I would plan on either a long wait or a lot of calls to cust service
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ruthenium101

Should I expect a simple refund of miles and YQ or rebooking on *A, presumably LH/UA?
Don't expect anything in a timely manor unless you get hold of cust svc ASAP. I'm sure they will gladly put you on UA, LH, LX and/or OS IF there are award seats avail. If not, they will refund you everything. The one thing they won't do IMO unless your a PPS member is fight for you w these other carriers to make a seat avail if it's not already open
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Just got an email for my April DME>IAH booking offering either:

1) Full refund (although my miles are now expired)
2) Ability to rebook before Oct31

Do I have any legs to stand on with DOT to be rebooked on another carrier?

If my miles that I used for this flight have already expired, can I expect to receive 'fresh' miles?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ruthenium101

I'd be proactive and call. My experience with the SQ reservations team has been like pushing sand up a hill. Changing my F award (which was also booked via DME) was painful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.