Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scoot has started cancelling flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Scoot has started cancelling flights

Is it normal for Scoot to start cancelling flights from Australia to Singapore due to "operational requirements?"

Family had a flight booked into Singapore and then on air asia to Kuala Lumpur and a short 3 night stay in KL before flying back to Singapore for a family wedding.

It has now caused problems as it means the family have to change the air asia tickets, incur additional costs and lose a full day in KL before the wedding.

Does Scoot have a reputation of cancelling flights?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by wolf72
Does Scoot have a reputation of cancelling flights?
Oh, you are not familiar with Scoot and their 'business practices', are not you?

Couple of years ago there was a case - they cancel flight, let people stranded at airport for 48 hours, did not give them any accommodation, hotel/meal vouchers or compensation, did not rebook them on flights with other airlines and told them to get compensation from their insurance.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Yup. That's the risk of budget carriers. Unless you have a lot of flexibility, you must buy travel insurance in case they pull this kind of stunt. Sadly, too many people only consider the low prices but not the cost of recovery when things go south. Tickets are cheap for a reason. Having said that, deepest sympathies and hope you're able to rebook your outbound flight at a reasonable cost.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Unfortunately that's the downside of flying on a LCC/Budget carrier. So make sure you have Travel Insurance.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: QF WP
I should add that it's not just LCCs. For example, if SQ has to cancel its daily ADL-SIN flight (plane went tech on arrival into ADL), there isn't any other non-stop alternatives on any other airlines, so you might also be stuck overnight. While SQ will most likely look after you better than an LCC, you still aren't going anywhere very quickly.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:15 am

Scoot isn't an IATA member. Says it all really.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
I should add that it's not just LCCs. For example, if SQ has to cancel its daily ADL-SIN flight (plane went tech on arrival into ADL), there isn't any other non-stop alternatives on any other airlines, so you might also be stuck overnight. While SQ will most likely look after you better than an LCC, you still aren't going anywhere very quickly.
Legacy carriers often have a spare plane they can pull out for situations like this, especially at the home port. LCCs don't. For your ADL case, if you push for it, SQ will rebook you on another carrier to get you to your destination earlier. But whether such a flight exists (nonstop or not) is another matter. However, it is an option that you'd never get on an LCC.

Other points: LCCs are also more aggressive in the scheduling of their planes, hence if there's a delay earlier in the day, you get knock-on effects later. LCCs are also more inclined to cancel flights that are not selling well to optimise revenue.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Phaze
Scoot isn't an IATA member. Says it all really.
As if the legacies weren't ingenious and well experienced in cooking up excuses and faux rules why you cannot be rebooked onto another carrier....
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Couple of years ago there was a case - they cancel flight, let people stranded at airport for 48 hours, did not give them any accommodation, hotel/meal vouchers or compensation, did not rebook them on flights with other airlines and told them to get compensation from their insurance.
Thank goodness we have EC261/2004 in the EU.
Scoot goes even further and does not even a full refund in case of cancellation.

There could be a saying in soccer circles in Europe:
"Steph.. L.. Chi.. Y.., we know where you have parked your car."
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

They are a very bad airline to deal with. Their customer service staff are very very unfriendly and extremely unhelpful.

I understand the risks associated with flying on a budget airline but there really should be some protection for consumers. They cannot keep ripping passengers off when they feel like cancelling flights after collecting our fees which we pay straight up front.

It's not right. Especially in this day and age.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cowie
Yup. That's the risk of budget carriers. Unless you have a lot of flexibility, you must buy travel insurance in case they pull this kind of stunt. Sadly, too many people only consider the low prices but not the cost of recovery when things go south. Tickets are cheap for a reason. Having said that, deepest sympathies and hope you're able to rebook your outbound flight at a reasonable cost.

You are right. Travel insurance is neccessary in this day and age.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:45 am

It's not right. Especially in this day and age.
Do you there in Down Under have class action suits in your books?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Do you there in Down Under have class action suits in your books?

They are now offering us a seat on a flight the next day...we will have to change our air asia flights (penalties/etc) and lose a day in KL...so its better than nothing I guess...

But this sort of crap is just wrong.

I will need to look into the potential options of filling an official complaint with the govt
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:28 pm

I will need to look into the potential options of filling an official complaint with the govt
If this is Singapore government, they will use your complaint as a toilet paper. You have no protection as a consumer, see the example I provided earlier with Scoot.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
If this is Singapore government, they will use your complaint as a toilet paper. You have no protection as a consumer, see the example I provided earlier with Scoot.
I am referring to filing a complaint with the australian govt. I can care less about the singapore govt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.