Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Perks for Star Alliance Elite Gold on SQ flights?

Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam Elite Plus // Star Alliance Gold Elite // Hyatt Platinum

Hello all - first post here - so please go easy on me....

I have: Skyteam Elite Plus and Star Alliance Gold Elite.
I can: realistically only maintain one of the two status's going forward as I mainly fly economy
I must: now make a choice which alliance to focus on
I think: that Singapore Airlines will be my new go to carrier - given their hub is Changi

Given that I am Gold Elite with Star Alliance member Turkish Airlines:

- What are my options for economy comfort with SQ? e.g. if I fly on Delta or Air France or KLM; I get a free economy comfort seat.

- If I start flying with SQ - would it make more sense to accrue miles in a Krisflyer account - or to continue crediting them to Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles?

- I guess I am trying to figure out if SQ treats other Star Alliance gold elites as well as their own gold members.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on pros/cons related to this situation.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Club, HHonors Diamond
On board, Singapore Airlines does not even recognize their own Krisflyer Elite Golds in any way in any class, let alone *A Gold members. So even as Krisflyer Elite Gold, expect nothing more than the standard published *A Gold perks on the ground, regarding 20kg extra luggage, check-in at Business Class counter, Priority Luggage and Priority Boarding.

Although at Changi as Krisflyer Elite Gold, you can't officially use any Business Class check-in counters. They have special Krisflyer Elite Gold check-in counters, that are often quite busy. As Krisflyer Elite Silver & Gold you do get 25% bonus miles of the actual miles flown when you fly on Singapore Airlines or their regional subsidiary Silk Air.

As Krisflyer Gold, you can't even use the Singapore Airlines Silverkris Business Class Lounge at Changi Airport when you travel in Economy. You have to use the much less attractive and often overcrowded seperate Krisflyer Elite Gold Lounge.

Except when you travel in Economy and are a Krisflyer PPS Club or PPS Club Solitaire member. PPS Club members can then use the Singapore Airlines Silverkris Business Class Lounge at Changi Airport. PPS Club Solitaire members can use the Singapore Airlines Silverkris First Class Lounge at Changi Airport when they fly Economy.

The PPS Club & PPS Solitaire membership tiers are exclusively for passengers who mostly fly Business Class, First Class or Suites Class. PPS Club membership requires a minimum spend of 25.000 Singapore Dollar per year. PPS Solitaire Club membership requires a minimum total spend of 250.000 Singapore Dollar over 5 consecutive years.

For preffered seats you have to pay, even if you are a PPS Club or PPS Club Solitaire member, which are the two highest levels in their loyalty program. Both are levels above Krisflyer Elite Gold. Furthermore it is a strict company policy that Singapore Airlines never upgrades passengers, not even PPS Club or PPS Club Solitaire members. Only when a flight is overbooked. But that is extremely rare. Practically non existent.
Ellice likes this.

Last edited by Beolab; Jun 17, 2016 at 9:54 am
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Beolab - this is exactly the kind of information I needed to hear. I guess SQ chose to allocate economy comfort differently than most other carriers within an alliance....
I see you fly SQ and have PPS status - if you could choose another carrier to fly from Changi - who would your second choice be as a go to carrier?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by _SkyTeam_
Thanks for the reply Beolab - this is exactly the kind of information I needed to hear. I guess SQ chose to allocate economy comfort differently than most other carriers within an alliance....
I see you fly SQ and have PPS status - if you could choose another carrier to fly from Changi - who would your second choice be as a go to carrier?
Where are you based? In Singapore? From where to where do you travel most?

Last edited by Beolab; Jun 17, 2016 at 9:58 am
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Yes - Singapore - will be flying to Europe(AMS/LHR) / US(HOU/JFK/SFO) for business and within Asia (so many places to explore) for personal vacations.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:39 am

If you don't mind switching planes, Emirates, Quatar or Etihad. Gardu Indonesia is good again after they bought many new aircraft. Wiithin Star Aliance Lufthansa. They have good lounges in Germany. From Singapore to the US, EVA Air through Taiwan is good. They just received their 5 star airline recognition from Skytrax this week. The eight 5 star airline worldwide.

Last edited by Beolab; Jun 17, 2016 at 7:52 pm
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Beolab
On board, Singapore Airlines does not even recognize their own Krisflyer Elite Golds in any way in any class, let alone *A Gold members. So even as Krisflyer Elite Gold, expect nothing more than the standard published *A Gold perks on the ground, regarding 20kg extra luggage, check-in at Business Class counter, Priority Luggage and Priority Boarding.

Although at Changi as Krisflyer Elite Gold, you can't officially use any Business Class check-in counters. They have special Krisflyer Elite Gold check-in counters, that are often quite busy. As Krisflyer Elite Silver & Gold you do get 25% bonus miles of the actual miles flown when you fly on Singapore Airlines or their regional subsidiary Silk Air.

As Krisflyer Gold, you can't even use the Singapore Airlines Silverkris Business Class Lounge at Changi Airport when you travel in Economy. You have to use the much less attractive and often overcrowded seperate Krisflyer Elite Gold Lounge.

Except when you travel in Economy and are a Krisflyer PPS Club or PPS Club Solitaire member. PPS Club members can then use the Singapore Airlines Silverkris Business Class Lounge at Changi Airport. PPS Club Solitaire members can use the Singapore Airlines Silverkris First Class Lounge at Changi Airport when they fly Economy.

The PPS Club & PPS Solitaire membership tiers are exclusively for passengers who mostly fly Business Class, First Class or Suites Class. PPS Club membership requires a minimum spend of 25.000 Singapore Dollar per year. PPS Solitaire Club membership requires a minimum total spend of 250.000 Singapore Dollar over 5 consecutive years.

For preffered seats you have to pay, even if you are a PPS Club or PPS Club Solitaire member, which are the two highest levels in their loyalty program. Both are levels above Krisflyer Elite Gold. Furthermore it is a strict company policy that Singapore Airlines never upgrades passengers, not even PPS Club or PPS Club Solitaire members. Only when a flight is overbooked. But that is extremely rare. Practically non existent.
I have been flying SQ for 20 years and I think I got upgraded twice . . . . haha
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: QF WP
I should add that SQ does not have economy comfort. It's just Y, where you can pay extra for exit rows, and then some routes have PE.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
My perspective is that its worth crediting to Krisflyer if you are also collecting miles by credit card.
Several local banks only let you transfer miles to Krisflyer or Asia Miles.
Once you have a pool of miles you will find that Krisflyer only releases long haul first and business seats to their own members, and then not enough to satisfy demand. Plus SQ offers a 15% discount for online redemption bookings for KF members.

So if you are collecting miles for luxury travel and maximum flexibility go for Krisflyer. If its just for status then its less important. Hope that helps.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by w4rd
My perspective is that its worth crediting to Krisflyer if you are also collecting miles by credit card.
Several local banks only let you transfer miles to Krisflyer or Asia Miles.
Once you have a pool of miles you will find that Krisflyer only releases long haul first and business seats to their own members, and then not enough to satisfy demand. Plus SQ offers a 15% discount for online redemption bookings for KF members.

So if you are collecting miles for luxury travel and maximum flexibility go for Krisflyer. If its just for status then its less important. Hope that helps.
W4rd - thank you - this is exactly relevant in my case, as I only ever book economy (both business and pleasure) and then upgrade with miles to business on Skyteam....I currently have a credit card to collect miles on FlyingBlue - and will probably trade that in for one of the SQ related cards.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Look at it from their perspective

You're in business. Your obligation is to maximise returns to your shareholders

What's the absolute minimum you need to do to retain your existing customers and attract occasional customers while discouraging potential customers from choosing one of your competitors?

As a member of Star Alliance SQ is in almost a monopoly position in the region where it is headquartered. Its sole competition is the ailing Thai Airways. It therefore needs to give minimal benefits to its own regular customers. It's also going to give minimal benefits to regular customers of airlines with whom it is in competition for the same destinations. SQ gives skimpy earning rates for United's MileagePlus members, for example, because they both fly to the US. It does the absolute minimum it must in order to remain a member of Star Alliance. Combine those two factors - minimal benefits to its own members + doing the absolute minimum it must in order to remain a member of Star Alliance - and you've got the SQ business model as it relates to frequent flyers

That's capitalism!
Ellice likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by RTWFF
That's capitalism!
Also capitalism:

- Awesome premium products
- Cheap alternatives c/o LCCs
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by chisquared
Also capitalism:

- Awesome premium products
- Cheap alternatives c/o LCCs
I think you'll find the OP wasn't asking about those
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by RTWFF
You're in business. Your obligation is to maximise returns to your shareholders

What's the absolute minimum you need to do to retain your existing customers and attract occasional customers while discouraging potential customers from choosing one of your competitors?

As a member of Star Alliance SQ is in almost a monopoly position in the region where it is headquartered. Its sole competition is the ailing Thai Airways. It therefore needs to give minimal benefits to its own regular customers. It's also going to give minimal benefits to regular customers of airlines with whom it is in competition for the same destinations. SQ gives skimpy earning rates for United's MileagePlus members, for example, because they both fly to the US. It does the absolute minimum it must in order to remain a member of Star Alliance. Combine those two factors - minimal benefits to its own members + doing the absolute minimum it must in order to remain a member of Star Alliance - and you've got the SQ business model as it relates to frequent flyers

That's capitalism!
I think you'll find the OP wasn't asking about those
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by _SkyTeam_
W4rd - thank you - this is exactly relevant in my case, as I only ever book economy (both business and pleasure) and then upgrade with miles to business on Skyteam....I currently have a credit card to collect miles on FlyingBlue - and will probably trade that in for one of the SQ related cards.
Good stuff. Its possible to collect quite a few miles in Singapore, but you'll need a few cards. At least an online and general purpose card.

Check the wiki for all the gory details
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...er-thread.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.