Search

SIN to SFO and PDX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
SIN to SFO and PDX

Hi All,

I need to get to Portland (PDX) from SIN.

If i book through the singaporeair website, it only gives me the option of going through LAX and Alaska Air from LAX to PDX.

So another option was to book SIN-SFO on SQ and SFO-PDX on United.

Would SFO have shorter immigration queues than LAX?

SIN-SFO has the option of transiting ICN or HKG. Apart from departure times, is it better to transit HKG or ICN? Do both have SQ lounges for KFEG?

With the SFO-PDX flight on United, I saw that StarGold don't get extra baggage on united. You have to be travelling in First on domestic flights. Have I read this correctly?

How's the United lounge for KFEG in Portland and San Francisco?

Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by Chucksta
If i book through the singaporeair website, it only gives me the option of going through LAX and Alaska Air from LAX to PDX.
The benefit of going through SFO as opposed to LAX is that the international terminal at LAX is quite far from where AS operates out of. At SFO, it's much closer to go from the international terminal to Terminal 3, which is where UA operates out of. The benefit of going through LAX is that it is very, very rarely affected by weather delays, whereas SFO is notorious for it when the fog rolls in or the winds get too high.

Would SFO have shorter immigration queues than LAX?
I haven't noticed a difference at either airport but with GlobalEntry, there isn't really a difference. LAX is a bigger airport, FWIW.

SIN-SFO has the option of transiting ICN or HKG. Apart from departure times, is it better to transit HKG or ICN? Do both have SQ lounges for KFEG?
They both have SilverKris Lounges. I haven't been to the one at ICN but it opened in 2013, so it should be fairly nice. The one in HKG was renovated around the same time, I believe, and is indeed pretty nice.

The United Club at PDX is nothing to write home about although to be fair, it's been a few years since I've been in it and supposedly UA has stepped up the quality of their lounge catering. However, it'll be the standard North America stuff of cheese/crackers/dips/etc. I wouldn't show up early to spend any time there.

As for SFO, shouldn't you have access to the SilverKris Lounge? That being said, last time I was there prior to SQ1 SFO - HKG - SIN, it was insanely crowded and not a very nice lounge. I used the wifi for a bit, ate something small and preferred to spend the rest of my time in the terminal.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
With the SFO-PDX flight on United, I saw that StarGold don't get extra baggage on united. You have to be travelling in First on domestic flights. Have I read this correctly?
No, you have not. *G get the standard 1 extra bag on UA. If you're buying this on one ticket from SQ (is SQ really selling a UA connection?) it doesn't matter, your SQ allowance will control under MSC rules.

Poor, like nearly all UCs. SFO has plenty of good food options though.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
There doesn't seem to be anyway I can book a mixture of UA/SQ flights from SIN-SFO-PDX return.

It seems to want to route me through SIN-LAX and connect to an Alaskan Airways flight from LAX-PDX.

Why would the SQ website pick AS over UA when UA is a star alliance carrier?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There doesn't seem to be anyway I can book a mixture of UA/SQ flights from SIN-SFO-PDX return.

It seems to want to route me through SIN-LAX and connect to an Alaskan Airways flight from LAX-PDX.

SQ doesn't sell UA codeshares. The scuttlebutt is that it's because SQ got tired of UA mistreating its passengers.

So SQ will sell codeshares on various other US airlines, including VX and AS.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

Irrespective of *A or not, UA does not have any joint fares with SQ between SIN and PDX. On most SQ fares within the USA, UA is simply not part of the plan, SQ choosing either AS or VX as their partners. If you want to take UA, you'd have to buy a separate ticket.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Mar 3, 2016 at 9:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.