Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting between classes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Which flight are you on ?
Should be alright most times but preferably not during meal service , unless within US airspace - when one isn't allowed to " wander " or gather
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Exactly .
Thanks fimo .
From Tassie .. Not surprising . Perhaps meet up in Saffire or Launceston when we return

So it ' s the portion over US airspace I ' m referring to .
Not sure of portion closer to HI - when it ' s international .
Take SQ 1 often enough , sometimes it seems to fly north up the coast then west & others it seems to head west early on . Can ' t recall if it depends on time of year ..
SQ 1 / 2 should be fine with what ' s been posted .

No issues on SQ 68 visiting F & R , perhaps 4 of us flying all TPP .
Perhaps best let cabin crew know at start of flight .
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Often1
...make certain that you seek the crew's permission each time. If it is denied, that is the end of it.
In Asia? There's a good chance an employee doesn't want any responsibility and says 'no', no matter what. If you are in F and you feel that what you are doing is socially acceptable you just do it. If it heavily violates a rule or breaks the law, someone will tell you. That way you remove that very broad hysteresis from the equation that employees usually don't want to take any action.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I really cannot imagine people actually saying and announcing here that they'd fly in F and their wife fly in J ! I would without a doubt do the opposite...

Imagine all the brownie points you'd earn by doing just that.. and spending some quality time with your son in J. Until he needs feeding, then bring baby up to be fed and you stay in J.
He can't come up to FC, nor can the baby spend time in FC (even for a feeding) if the baby is ticketed in business class.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:55 pm

I don't know what the rules are and I suspect even if there are rules, the 'reds' & 'purples' have some flexibility, especially when premium class pax are involved

Some of my observations (when in a similar situation & also from other pax):
- It is almost never a problem for the pax in the 'higher' class to go into the other cabin (eg First -> Business or Business -> Economy)
- It is almost never a problem for children in the 'lower' class to go visit a parent in the other cabin
- Adults in Economy asking to go forward tend to get turned down. Otoh, it seems that generally they will accommodate those in Business asking to visit family in First/Suite

As has been mentioned, try not to do this during meal service, it gets disruptive. If the cabin is full I would avoid doing it as well since you end up standing in the aisle, and blocking everyone else
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Archieflyer
- It is almost never a problem for children in the 'lower' class to go visit a parent in the other cabin
Oh really?

Say here, or this.
Maybe it is no problem for the FAs but certainly for the pax.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by weero
Oh really?

Say here, or this.
Maybe it is no problem for the FAs but certainly for the pax.
Interestingly enough, it's the FAs and not the other passengers who have authority on the aircraft.

That being said, the SQ story was outrageous. No excuse to allow that.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:57 am

On the SQ website they have a pic of two people siting holding hands and enjoying a drink in one of their suites.

I'm in J and wife is in F on 380 from AKL-SIN. So I could not go up to F and sit hold hands and enjoy a drink with her in her suite?

If not then that is false advertising by SQ as I got my wife the F suite because of what I saw in that pic!
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
On the SQ website they have a pic of two people siting holding hands and enjoying a drink in one of their suites.

I'm in J and wife is in F on 380 from AKL-SIN. So I could not go up to F and sit hold hands and enjoy a drink with her in her suite?

If not then that is false advertising by SQ as I got my wife the F suite because of what I saw in that pic!
What makes you ASSUME that one of those people came from another cabin? They could easily have both been in first and wanted to sit together for a minute, right?

Advertising is often misleading. For example, Emirates and their showers ad with Jenifer Aniston. Only good in first, and only on less than half of their aircraft.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

As NoStressHere points out - it's not false advertising as it is an activity that is possible in that cabin. Just both of you need to be flying suites.

It is the same as buddy seats in other F cabins which are advertised as allowing two passengers to dine together. The passengers must however be traveling in the same class.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
For example, Emirates and their showers ad with Jenifer Aniston.
Exactly!!! I got a Emirates ticket because I thought it came with a shower with Jenifer Aniston in it, went to the shower and she wasn't there waiting for me!

The crap these airlines pull!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Interestingly enough, it's the FAs and not the other passengers who have authority on the aircraft.
Outside of the US&A it's the captain. The waitresses with the power of a LEO are not widespread elsewhere.

But it is always good to see how others define the term 'problem'.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by weero
Outside of the US&A it's the captain. The waitresses with the power of a LEO are not widespread elsewhere.

But it is always good to see how others define the term 'problem'.
Okay, lets get real.

If a passenger makes a fuss and the crew acts on it, then the passenger has "some" power.

If a FA attendant makes a decision to enforce a rule (real rule or made up), then the FA has the power.

Yes, the Captain may have the ultimate power, but most if this stuff never gets to the Captain. And that is a good thing. He needs to be flying the plane and not dealing with some of the petty and trivial crap some passengers come up with.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
..If a passenger makes a fuss and the crew acts on it, then the passenger has "some" power.

If a FA attendant makes a decision to enforce a rule (real rule or made up), then the FA has the power..
If they manage to enforce it then yes, they have some power, I won't dispute that.

But in Asia passengers often disagree with FAs and resist instructions that appear nonsensical to them and there is hardly ever a follow up. That's a vast difference to North America.

But that isn't really the focus here: if a child's behaviour is ok for the crew but grosses out paying F passengers, I'd still call it a problem.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!

Surely you jest???
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Surely you jest???
Agreed, a wind up for sure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.