Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ has booking classes open for new tickets but closed for rebooking - what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ has booking classes open for new tickets but closed for rebooking - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)

Hi everyone,
I tried to rebook a paid business ticket (*RTW issued by LH) which books in class D on SQ. I wanted to fly SIN-IST which still shows availability on Expertflyer as follows:
C9 D2

But when LH tries to include this flight for my booking/ticket, SQ shows them D0 with the waitlist closed. They say when they close the ticket they also see "D2" available for new tickets, but that SQ would give them different availability for open tickets/rebooking.
When I tried SIN-FCO it even showed C9 D9 on Expertflyer but would still not allow a rebooking, not even waitlisting on D!

What is SQ doing here?
Is there anything I could do about this?

I now had to switch to another flight which is very inconvenient for me, leaving much sooner than I want to, and then switch carriers. Also to get to SIN first I have to leave one day earlier than I wanted much too early in the morning - same problem here, more than 2 other flights that would work better with a lot of availability here, but they only allowed waitlisting for them.

But again, the main problem is that for the flight I want to be on there is C9 D2 on a 772 (so a lot of the seats in C still free), but for a rebooking in D they do not even allow waitlisting.
Thanks,
zap!
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
What is the preceeding flight into Singapore? Its the married-segment issue and sometimes SQ takes it to the extreme.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK elite+(*gold), Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, (Ex-Hyatt Diamond/Globalist)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What is the preceeding flight into Singapore?
When I tried to get rebooked on SQ392 for Nov15 or Nov16, my preceeding flight BNE-SIN was SQ236 on Nov11 (14:40 till 20:40).

I am not sure if they looked just at SQ392 SIN-IST for the rebooking, or if they also tried to rebook BNE-SIN at the same time = BNE-IST via SIN.
SQ236 was not available for Nov14/15 (same issue, on Thursday when it happened both days still showed D4).

So right now they moved me to SQ256 BNE-SIN 09:10 -15:10 on NOV14 which will mess up my adjusting to my next timezone.

I really want to rebook to SQ392 SIN-IST for NOV15 (01:50AM) which still shows D1 C6 today (or at least on Nov 16 with D2 C9).

I also would prefer SQ236 for BNE-SIN at 14:40 (instead of SQ 256 at 09:10) which had good availability when it happened on Thursday but is now down to C3 with D0/DL.

Its the married-segment issue and sometimes SQ takes it to the extreme.
What's the married segment issue?
Will it also happen when there is only one SQ flight (other ones with other airlines) or a stopover >24h in SIN?
What can I do to avoid it/get around it?

Thanks a lot,
zap!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
What is the preceeding flight into Singapore? Its the married-segment issue and sometimes SQ takes it to the extreme.
It could also be due to "journey data polling" as well.

http://www.amadeus.com/airlines/docu...es%20Sheet.pdf

Seems like the only feasible way (risky as well) to get around the OPs situation would be to cancel all the segments before and including the segment that he wants to rebook and end the PNR. Then all the segments up to and including the flight that needs to be change will be rebooked from scratch. However, there is a risk that the OP won't be able to get availability on the other previously cancelled flights and/or run into other married segment logic issues for other flights. Once the rebooking is done, a ticket exchange (with either add/collect or refund [depending on taxes]) will have to be done.

Last edited by daniellam; Nov 10, 2015 at 9:41 pm
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by zap7
What's the married segment issue?
Will it also happen when there is only one SQ flight (other ones with other airlines) or a stopover >24h in SIN?
What can I do to avoid it/get around it?

Thanks a lot,
zap!
It might work with a stopover in SIN >24 hours.

See http://www.amadeus.com/airlines/docu...es%20Sheet.pdf for more information on marriee segment control.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks again to both of you for explaining.

In the end it didn't work - I could not cancel the upcoming segments since it's a *RTW ticket that requires to arrive back in the country where I started from for the booking/ticket/rebooking to be valid and I already started the ticket (I could have canceled the whole thing and restart from scratch if I hadn't started the flights).

Best regards,
zap!
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by zap7
Thanks again to both of you for explaining.

In the end it didn't work - I could not cancel the upcoming segments since it's a *RTW ticket that requires to arrive back in the country where I started from for the booking/ticket/rebooking to be valid and I already started the ticket (I could have canceled the whole thing and restart from scratch if I hadn't started the flights).

Best regards,
zap!
Even if you have started your journey, it is still possible to cancel all the remaining segments in the PNR and rebook them in a new PNR.

The reason for starting a new PNR is so that any "history" of your jorney does not effect the availability in the other segments.

Once you have the new segments in the new PNR, the old RTW ticket residing in the OLD PNR can be reissued by exchanging it for a new RTW ticket (since you already started your journey, the fare does not change, only the taxes and fuel surcharge may change [you would pay a bit more or get a refund]) using the segments in the new PNR.

The only issue is finding a competent ticket agent to do this!!
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniellam
Even if you have started your journey, it is still possible to cancel all the remaining segments in the PNR and rebook them in a new PNR.

Once you have the new segments in the new PNR, the old RTW ticket residing in the OLD PNR can be reissued by exchanging it for a new RTW ticket (since you already started your journey, the fare does not change, only the taxes and fuel surcharge may change [you would pay a bit more or get a refund]) using the segments in the new PNR.

The only issue is finding a competent ticket agent to do this!!
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation! Now I know how to try it the next time :-)

Best regards,
zap!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.