Wiki Posts
Search

Oversized passengers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *G, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Le Accor Silver, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Was he able to sit with the armrests down? That's usually one of the tests for an 'oversize' passenger.
I would say yes, although at an angle. Everytime he got up, or sat down he had to lift the armrest up.

Thanks so much for all the feedback though. At least I know what to do if facing the same situation again (God forbid).
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Its sad we have become such a jaded, people labeling society, what if these "overweight" people were our parents?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I would be concerned for them for fear it would be affecting their health...hence the term. No offence intended - its not a phrase that's being used to segregate such individuals from society, just identify the impact upon people occupying standardised seating on aircraft.

Going a bit OMNI now...
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I think the OP over-reacted in terms of the tone of the rant, but not in terms of the basic issue at play.

Originally Posted by shuigao
As far as I know only US carriers have some sort of "if you're too big to fit you need to buy an extra seat" policy.
+1

I'd hate to say that anything about US airlines is superior to SQ. But in fact there is some sort of a policy to this effect, that a Person of Size can't overflow into a neighboring passenger's space. The issue comes up occasionally in the AA, UA, etc. forums. I believe (but am not sure) that if there are no other available seats the POS has to forfeit the flight and wait for another, as opposed to the neighbor.

I'm not making a moral judgement about the POS's size here. But just as a normal-sized passenger couldn't stick his leg or elbow half-way into a neighbor's space, the same applies to a very heavy person.

Originally Posted by Often1
Best thing to do is to complaint before the flight closes. As there's no policy, you can't be assured that anything will be done. But, at least the more people complain, the more crew will report back on the problem. Don't expect anything. They really don't care.
+1 again.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by shuigao
Out of curiosity, what are you expecting SQ to do? Put in a policy that passengers above a certain waist size or below a certain hygiene level be not allowed to fly?
Well yes there should be a policy for both.

Everyone else should not be subjected to passengers who haven't showered for weeks before getting on a plane.

And there should be a policy in place if you can't fit in your seat you need to buy an extra one so that you do not encroach in to the seat of other passengers.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
..I'd hate to say that anything about US airlines is superior to SQ. But in fact there is some sort of a policy to this effect, that a Person of Size can't overflow into a neighboring passenger's space...
A "select few" US carriers. SouthWest is a tad a poster child there.

AA FAs have openly demanded that I lift the armrest in order to accommodate a POS and threatened to deplane me as I was unwilling to comply. As I much preferred deplaning over DVT, I kept not complying.
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
..Everyone else should not be subjected to passengers who haven't showered for weeks before getting on a plane..
I thought that most airlines have regulations in place regarding malodorous passengers. Those should absolutely be enforced.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by weero
AA FAs have openly demanded that I lift the armrest in order to accommodate a POS and threatened to deplane me as I was unwilling to comply. As I much preferred deplaning over DVT, I kept not complying.
I might be wrong... but I thought 'armrests down' was an FAA regulation for take-off and landing?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I might be wrong... but I thought 'armrests down' was an FAA regulation for take-off and landing?
I thought that too.

But the FAs reinterpreted this one for me.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some USA carriers have rules about customers of size, but GAs and FAs are reluctant and very unlikely to enforce issues in this "delicate" area unless another passenger demands that they do so.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Its sad we have become such a jaded, people labeling society, what if these "overweight" people were our parents?
If my parents were hugely overweight I would not want them humiliated by a seatmate or have them make someone next to them uncomfortable. I would make sure they had a spare seat.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some USA carriers have rules about customers of size, but GAs and FAs are reluctant and very unlikely to enforce issues in this "delicate" area unless another passenger demands that they do so.
Some cultures would not dare bring this up I am sure.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
If my parents were hugely overweight I would not want them humiliated by a seatmate or have them make someone next to them uncomfortable. I would make sure they had a spare seat.
If you loved your parents that much you would pay for them to sit upfront!!!
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
If you loved your parents that much you would pay for them to sit upfront!!!
Barring SQ's unusually wide seats, most J/F cabins are not set up for extremely wide pax.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amelorn
barring sq's unusually wide seats, most j/f cabins are not set up for extremely wide pax.
lmfao

Old May 11, 2017, 6:13 am

Issues

Originally Posted by BryanHuang
Be prepared for a rant but key point is:

- Does SQ make oversized passengers buy an extra seat (Economy) or does any other airlines in fact? Do they intend to do so?

Long story short
- On red eye SIN - MEL in economy
- Full flight not an extra seat to be found
- SUPER HUGE guy in middle seat. Entire arms and shoulders into my chair, Violently adjusts his body every time I try to get my space.
- Digs his nose, crotch, underarms. Plays with whatever he finds there. Uses those same fingers to tap on my shoulder really hard to excuse him to go to the toilet. While I am sleeping.
- Continuously farts super stink b*mbs (sensitive word on flight). How do I know? He adjusts his left butt cheek to me of course.

I am NOT over-reacting am I?

Super helpful Leading stewardess notices me standing by the galley leaning and closing my eyes. Tries to find me an alternative seat but it truly was a full full flight.

Rant over thanks for listening.
If this person has been normal-sized, would his behavior been offensive? Yes without question. Airplane cabins are enclosed places with limited room. This means that one needs to take extra care to be polite and civilized.

The size of this passenger should have necessitated the purchase of an extra seat. This passenger's space was invaded by the person's size. Another problem with passengers who do not purchase adequate space for their body is that in an emergency situation, the lack of space may become dangerous.

I don't advocate discrimination against passengers of larger size as long as they are safely accommodated, meaning not encroaching on others. Airline seats are smaller these days; cabins packed which is detrimental to the flying experience but safety is the ultimate issue. No one is completely comfortable having to sit for hours but if in this situation, a little common-sense behavior and non-encroachment would have helped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.