Search

Book the cook - which steak?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi

I'm about o take my last Suites class flight in an excellent galavant around SE Asia and am taking probably far too much time deciding what to eat SIN - LHR. Has anyone tried the steaks? I had an excellent red NRT to SIN last week and am looking to build a proper gout inducing meal for my flight to compliment it!

I'm torn between the 6oz rib eye, 8oz ribeye, grilled beef fillet or wagu beef. Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Part of the difficulty with airline catering is that the end result comes down to whoever is working the galley. I don't think you can really go wrong, but as I said it comes down to the heating skills of the person working the galley and the same could be said of the non-steak items on the BTC menu or the regular inflight menu.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:04 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by PaulieV
Hi

I'm about o take my last Suites class flight in an excellent galavant around SE Asia and am taking probably far too much time deciding what to eat SIN - LHR. Has anyone tried the steaks? I had an excellent red NRT to SIN last week and am looking to build a proper gout inducing meal for my flight to compliment it!

I'm torn between the 6oz rib eye, 8oz ribeye, grilled beef fillet or wagu beef. Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks!
I have tried the 8oz ribeye in suites on my way to ZRH. It was excellent. Best steak I have had in the sky.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Have ordered the rib eye and will report back
Oneworldplus2 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Was the 8 oz. ribeye cooked to any degree other than well done? I never have any luck with steaks on planes. They're always overcooked.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Yep, steak on a plane is a no no. The chances of you getting a medium rare(thats how I like it) are next to impossible. I was on TG first and the steak was like a rock, had to return it, then came the pork chop which was just as bad(like rubber). I don't think SQ can do any better, I mean Steak is Steak.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Agree with those reluctant to have steak on TG and even on SQ. However, on North American airlines it's often good (e.g. on 90% in J on AA) or great (some AC fligts in J). AC employs for instance a former chef of a famous Zurich restaurant as a flight attendant. He's mainly on the route to ZRH, but also other YYZ crewed routes to German speaking Europe (e.g. FRA, MUC). His steaks are fantastic!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
I've never had a decent steak on a plane on any airline in any class. Unless they put a grill on board, forget it. Especially if you like it rare/medium-rare. Go for something like a casserole or curry that gets better from reheating

Last edited by RBH58; Oct 20, 2015 at 1:59 am
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RBH58
I've never had a decent steak on a plane on any airline in any class. Unless they put a grill on board, forget it. Especially if you like it rare/medium-rare. Go for something like a casserole or curry that gets better from reheating
^^^ 100% Agreed (Casserole yes curry no)
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Well - The 8oz rib-eye though perhaps not earth shatteringly brilliant was definitely passable. I enjoyed it and it was definitely the best "sky steak" I've ever had. It was not in anyway tough and there was definitely an attempt to serve it medium rare with a pleasing pinky-red to the meat. It wasn't dry, it wasn't over cooked.

I'd just like to add that my heart soared when I boarded yesterday as the chief pursar did indeed meet and greet my wife when we were halfway down the airbridge. I thought the gate at Changi was quiet but couldn't believe it when we were the only people in Suites.

This was my eighth flight with SQ, three in business, three in first, one other in suites. The service has been exceptional in all - though on yesterday's 13hr 20min flight SIN-LHR it only stopped short of a sedan chair from the gate back to my home.

The only bit that did disappoint was the poached egg with lobster breakfast. The egg was good enough but the lobster dry and tough.

I have one other minor gripe and that's the position of the loos which, being aft, mean you have to pass by the galley each time you go.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I'm glad you enjoyed your steak, PaulieV, but I've been burned once too often (pun intended) and will stick to fish or fowl.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
I had an amazing Rib Eye on CX F from HKG-JFK a few months ago, like - really amazing. Was asked how I wanted it cooked, said "medium rare", and by some miracle that's how it came out.

I love SQ and fly them in F regularly but their food is never that amazing, I wouldn't bet on them doing an amazing steak in the sky..!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:24 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards

I have had great steak aboard CX and SQ suites. No where near as bad as what some have reported here.

While the majority here are saying you can't get a steak on board an aircraft - I disagree. Can you get a steak as good as top class or high end restaurant? Of course not. But which food item - other than maybe soup can you get on a plane that will be as good as you would get in a fine restaurant?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by HB7
But which food item - other than maybe soup can you get on a plane that will be as good as you would get in a fine restaurant?
The fruit plate
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I wanted something simple so ordered steak. Sorry but I can't remember which one. It was lovely. I gave it a 9 out of 10. I remembered we were on a plane so upped the ranking to 10 out of 10. I was very surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.