Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adding flights to exiting booking?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold JL*Diamond HH*Gold
Question Adding flights to exiting booking?

Hi All
I want to seek advice how to add new flight into exiting ticket.
The reason Im asking that is I have a flight booked that will require 27hrs layover at Singapore.

My flights are
SQ067 11/09 BCN 10:40 - SIN 05:30+1
SQ5201 13/09 SIN 08:30 - DRW 14:40

As I dont want to wake up really early in the morning and get to the airport, so I would rather do a return trip to Bangkok and sleep at the transit hotel instead. That's why I would like to add Bangkok return flight(highlight blue below) to my exiting booking.

SQ067 11/09 BCB 10:40 - SIN 05:30+1
SQ970 12/09 SIN 07:10 - BKK 08:35 or SQ972 09:40 - 11:05
SQ979 12/09 BKK 18:30 - SIN 21:55 or SQ981 21:00 - 00:25+1

SQ5201 13/09 SIN 08:30 - DRW 14:40

As I havent book the flight to Bangkok, want to ask whats the best way to do so? Im afraid if something happen to my flight during the BKK run I will miss my final flight back to Australia. Thats the main reason why I would like it to be under the same ticket. So whats the best way to buy the ticket?
1.Buy a separate ticket online then call to merge?
2.Simply call the reservation number ask them to book bangkok flight under my booking number?
3.other ways that I dont know and someone is welling to tell me?

Really appreciate for any comments or tips.
and sorry if there are similar topics in this forum. Im new to flyertalk, still getting use to searching posts here. Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:39 am

IMHO, there is no way to add the BKK leg to this itinery. The reason is that your ticket is probably priced based on BCN-DRW route. Since BCN-SIN operates only 3x/week and SIN-DRW 5x/week, it so happens that your transit in SIN entails 27 hours.

Adding a BKK diversion to this particular ticket will no longer make this a BCN-DRW routing, but a multi-city routing which will make the ticket much much more expensive (BCN-BKK, BKK-DRW, DRW-BCN).

So the only and most economical way to do so is to buy a return SIN-BKK-SIN ticket on a separate booking (called "PNR" in this industry). But because you're going and returning within the same day, you will end up buying the most expensive version of Economy class ticket (around S$680) for this diversion. Usually cheaper Y class tickets are available for about half the price but will require minimum stay of a few days. So you'll need to decide if this price is worth it for the few hours in Bangkok.

If you do decide to go ahead with this, the next issue is whether to tell SQ about this diversion (ie. "link" the two PNRs) or not. To cut a long story short (won't elaborate on the pros & cons here unless you happen to ask .. ), if I were you, I'd not "link" the two PNRs. In other words, at BCN, do a through check-in (including luggage) all the way to DRW and collect 2 boarding passes (ie. BCN-SIN and SIN-DRW). Then when I reach SIN, I'll do a check-in at the transit desk for SIN-BKK and BKK-SIN on the other PNR and colect 2 boarding passes. Since it is a same day turn-around, no point diverting your check-in luggage from BCN to BKK and back to SIN to DRW with you. BTW, you can collect BOTH your SIN-BKK and BKK-SIN boarding passes at the same time -- its called "return check-in", because you're returning within 48 hours.

If you do so (ie. not tie the two PNRs together), what's the risk that you'll miss your SIN-DRW flight ? Given that the first flights out from SIN-BKK is 7:10am or 9:40am, and the last flight back is 18:30pm or 21:00pm, and your SIN-DRW flight is the next day a.m., I think the risk of missing the SIN-DRW flight is very minimal.

And even if flight delays cause you to miss your SIN-DRW sector, you have nothing to lose. Why ?

The only possibility this happens is if the BCN-SIN flight was badly delayed thus eating into your SIN-BKK morning flight timing. If this were to occur, I'll barge to the SQ transit counter, make a big noise about having missed this "crucial" same day turn-around because of SQ's fault, and demand that they either refund your SIN-BKK return ticket in full or they re-book your SIN-BKK-SIN flight AND your SIN-DRW so that you are made whole.

The other possibility is either SIN-BKK or BKK-SIN were delayed so as to cause you to miss your SIN-DRW flight the next day. Same logic applies here -- barge up to the SQ counter, demand that they make you whole because both PNRs were SQ ticketed and they're responsible to sort out the mess for you.

But personally, I think its not worth paying S$680 for a few hours stopover in Bangkok.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
arriving from BCN, from west to east, you will start feeling that horrible jet lag sleepiness in the morning.

It will be quite a tough day to do this day trip.

I would rather get a proper hotel room at Crowne Plaza Changi for a full night. Hope they can check you in at 6am though. Or you just bear with it, head into town for breakfast and then check in at 10 which is usually ok in most hotels unless it's full.

Will be much cheaper than doing that day trip to Bangkok and then a transit hotel.

What can you do in the afternoon at Changi hotel? Just relax and enjoy the pool.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by dickson_g
IMHO, there is no way to add the BKK leg to this itinery. The reason is that your ticket is probably priced based on BCN-DRW route. Since BCN-SIN operates only 3x/week and SIN-DRW 5x/week, it so happens that your transit in SIN entails 27 hours.

Adding a BKK diversion to this particular ticket will no longer make this a BCN-DRW routing, but a multi-city routing which will make the ticket much much more expensive (BCN-BKK, BKK-DRW, DRW-BCN).

So the only and most economical way to do so is to buy a return SIN-BKK-SIN ticket on a separate booking (called "PNR" in this industry). But because you're going and returning within the same day, you will end up buying the most expensive version of Economy class ticket (around S$680) for this diversion. Usually cheaper Y class tickets are available for about half the price but will require minimum stay of a few days. So you'll need to decide if this price is worth it for the few hours in Bangkok.

If you do decide to go ahead with this, the next issue is whether to tell SQ about this diversion (ie. "link" the two PNRs) or not. To cut a long story short (won't elaborate on the pros & cons here unless you happen to ask .. ), if I were you, I'd not "link" the two PNRs. In other words, at BCN, do a through check-in (including luggage) all the way to DRW and collect 2 boarding passes (ie. BCN-SIN and SIN-DRW). Then when I reach SIN, I'll do a check-in at the transit desk for SIN-BKK and BKK-SIN on the other PNR and colect 2 boarding passes. Since it is a same day turn-around, no point diverting your check-in luggage from BCN to BKK and back to SIN to DRW with you. BTW, you can collect BOTH your SIN-BKK and BKK-SIN boarding passes at the same time -- its called "return check-in", because you're returning within 48 hours.

If you do so (ie. not tie the two PNRs together), what's the risk that you'll miss your SIN-DRW flight ? Given that the first flights out from SIN-BKK is 7:10am or 9:40am, and the last flight back is 18:30pm or 21:00pm, and your SIN-DRW flight is the next day a.m., I think the risk of missing the SIN-DRW flight is very minimal.

And even if flight delays cause you to miss your SIN-DRW sector, you have nothing to lose. Why ?

The only possibility this happens is if the BCN-SIN flight was badly delayed thus eating into your SIN-BKK morning flight timing. If this were to occur, I'll barge to the SQ transit counter, make a big noise about having missed this "crucial" same day turn-around because of SQ's fault, and demand that they either refund your SIN-BKK return ticket in full or they re-book your SIN-BKK-SIN flight AND your SIN-DRW so that you are made whole.

The other possibility is either SIN-BKK or BKK-SIN were delayed so as to cause you to miss your SIN-DRW flight the next day. Same logic applies here -- barge up to the SQ counter, demand that they make you whole because both PNRs were SQ ticketed and they're responsible to sort out the mess for you.

But personally, I think its not worth paying S$680 for a few hours stopover in Bangkok.
Thank you Dickson for the awesome reply! Your comment totally answered all my questions. Now I would know what to do if I need to book more segments during my travel. However, this time I think Im just going to stay at Singapore and use the same amount of money to find a good accommodation near the airport and adjusting my jet lag. Once again thanks for your valuable reply!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by SQueeze
arriving from BCN, from west to east, you will start feeling that horrible jet lag sleepiness in the morning.

I would rather get a proper hotel room at Crowne Plaza Changi for a full night. Hope they can check you in at 6am though. Or you just bear with it, head into town for breakfast and then check in at 10 which is usually ok in most hotels unless it's full.

Will be much cheaper than doing that day trip to Bangkok and then a transit hotel.

What can you do in the afternoon at Changi hotel? Just relax and enjoy the pool.
Hi SQueeze

Thanks for your reply! I did think about staying the Crowne Plaza Changi. However because I have no status with IHG (I only have a HH*G )so I dont know how early I could check-in and I dont get free breakfast as well. However, this is the closest hotel to the airport, so I guess this is the only option I have.

Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:29 am

There are some other decent hotel options in Changi area now, including Park Avenue. They might provide shuttle service from-to airport
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by palesky
Quote:

Originally Posted by SQueeze

Hi SQueeze

Thanks for your reply! I did think about staying the Crowne Plaza Changi. However because I have no status with IHG (I only have a HH*G )so I dont know how early I could check-in and I dont get free breakfast as well. However, this is the closest hotel to the airport, so I guess this is the only option I have.

Thanks!
Checking in at 6am is really pushing it even with status. Usually 10-12 should be OK.

Most of the time, for first timers, they should also try to impress and may give exception even to non-status holders.

I still think it's better option than flying day trip to Bangkok. Unless you really must go there or you really love it so much. It will be a killer day and you may fall sick later on.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Why dont you book a room at the airport hotel, and you can check in at 7am, get some rest for 6 hours, before you decide on what you want to do next. The airside airport hotel has rooms for 6 hour slots. You could get one of these before you move to a landside hotel for the night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.