FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Last minute plane downgrade due to engineering - Compensation? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1643916-last-minute-plane-downgrade-due-engineering-compensation.html)

TheAsiaTomBrady Jan 7, 2015 10:19 pm

Last minute plane downgrade due to engineering - Compensation?

Flying J on SQ479 yesterday from CT to SG via Joberg originally on the retrofitted B777-200J aircraft with the 1-2-1 J class formation. At the check-in counter, the agent hands me a letter apologizing from the station manager saying they needed to make a last minute switch due to an engineering issue to a B777-200E (the really old -- seemingly retired plane -- J-class 2-2-2 incline blue/purple bed aged product). The agent unsolicited gave me the SAA feedback email address to log a complaint. Is there precedence for compensation given out in such a situation? I know SQ is stingy...

SirJman Jan 7, 2015 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by TheAsiaTomBrady (Post 24122996)
I know SQ is stingy...

Welcome to Singapore!

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

vbroucek Jan 7, 2015 10:32 pm

Compensation for what? You purchased J and flew in J. There is no guarantee of specific hardware anywhere in your contract (ticket) with SQ...

vbroucek Jan 7, 2015 10:34 pm

And yes, welcome to Singapore! I am still fighting SQ for EC261/2004 compensation for 13 hour delay in June 2014...

TheAsiaTomBrady Jan 7, 2015 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by vbroucek (Post 24123041)
Compensation for what? You purchased J and flew in J. There is no guarantee of specific hardware anywhere in your contract (ticket) with SQ...

Based off previous experience with SQ, I wasn't expecting much but they printed out a letter and told me to log a complaint...I imagine the demand & prices go up for better metal...they marketed and sold one product and then provided another...I think it's fair to get some form of restitution. I imagine some passengers would have flown a different J or not upgraded if they knew it was an ancient plane.

lokijuh Jan 7, 2015 10:40 pm

No, compensation will not be provided.

At least it was to a space bed product which is still angled lie flat. A few years ago we were downgraded on SIN-MEL from 1-2-1 77W to a 2-3-2 cradle seat 773 when one of the 77W's took a liking for the dirt at MUC, and was no longer available to fly back to SIN and onwards to I assume MEL.

vbroucek Jan 7, 2015 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by TheAsiaTomBrady (Post 24123070)
Based off previous experience with SQ, I wasn't expecting much but they printed out a letter and told me to log a complaint...I imagine the demand & prices go up for better metal...they marketed and sold one product and then provided another...I think it's fair to get some form of restitution. I imagine some passengers would have flown a different J or not upgraded if they knew it was an ancient plane.

Yes, as you say, they told you to "log a complaint". They did not tell you to log a compensation request.

I think you would be surprised how many people do not have a clue about hardware at all... I don't want to guess numbers, but I would be saying that perhaps more than 50% of people who book J class do not know anything about seats, service etc before they actually board.

And, IMHO, no it is not fair to get restitution. Just look at it differently. On the day of your flight. What would you prefer more: 1) to fly in old J, or 2) not to fly at all?

TheAsiaTomBrady Jan 8, 2015 12:01 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek (Post 24123189)
Yes, as you say, they told you to "log a complaint". They did not tell you to log a compensation request.

I think you would be surprised how many people do not have a clue about hardware at all... I don't want to guess numbers, but I would be saying that perhaps more than 50% of people who book J class do not know anything about seats, service etc before they actually board.

And, IMHO, no it is not fair to get restitution. Just look at it differently. On the day of your flight. What would you prefer more: 1) to fly in old J, or 2) not to fly at all?

Respectfully, it's irrelevant if other passengers aren't educated in what they are purchasing. I flew J SQ because of their offered product. If I knew it was different hardware, I would not have. There was not even an SMS or email that went out prior to the flight to give me the opportunity for a flight change.

And obviously I would prefer to fly J (or just fly at all) versus not because it was last minute and I didn't have another option... but that's not the point. They marketed a product, I purchased it, and they provided an inferior product and took accountability for it. In this situation, I think a gesture is in order. I'm not expecting anything because it's SQ but I think most other reputable merchants would. I'll see what they say and report back...

Nickolash27 Jan 8, 2015 12:05 am

Originally Posted by TheAsiaTomBrady (Post 24122996)
Flying J on SQ479 yesterday from CT to SG via Joberg originally on the retrofitted B777-200J aircraft with the 1-2-1 J class formation. At the check-in counter, the agent hands me a letter apologizing from the station manager saying they needed to make a last minute switch due to an engineering issue to a B777-200E (the really old -- seemingly retired plane -- J-class 2-2-2 incline blue/purple bed aged product). The agent unsolicited gave me the SAA feedback email address to log a complaint. Is there precedence for compensation given out in such a situation? I know SQ is stingy...

Stinginess doesn't come into it. What you bought was a business class ticket and you received that service. They cannot forecast unexpected engineering problems, and could never guarantee a particular aircraft type or seating configuration.

vbroucek Jan 8, 2015 12:12 am

Originally Posted by TheAsiaTomBrady (Post 24123279)
I flew J SQ because of their offered product.

As other said as well, you are not buying flight on particular product, you are buying flight in particular class. You bought flight in business class and you flew in business class.

Aircraft changes do happen on all airlines. Sometimes you get better product, sometimes you get worse. That's life. So suck it up and be happy that you even flew.

As I said, I had 13 hours delay on SQ, clearly covered by EC261/2004 regulation, and they are still refusing to pay it out 6 months later... Most they offered me was 5000 miles...

So do you really think they will give you anything for a change of equipment?

jjjohn Jan 8, 2015 2:30 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek (Post 24123300)
As other said as well, you are not buying flight on particular product, you are buying flight in particular class. You bought flight in business class and you flew in business class.

Aircraft changes do happen on all airlines. Sometimes you get better product, sometimes you get worse. That's life. So suck it up and be happy that you even flew.

As I said, I had 13 hours delay on SQ, clearly covered by EC261/2004 regulation, and they are still refusing to pay it out 6 months later... Most they offered me was 5000 miles...

So do you really think they will give you anything for a change of equipment?

there is a company help you to get compensation from airlines.

vbroucek Jan 8, 2015 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by jjjohn (Post 24123646)
there is a company help you to get compensation from airlines.

Yes, I know. I have engaged one of them but since I reside in Australia and it is ZRH-SIN-MEL-HBA itinerary (2 hour delay from ZRH due to late arrival of inbound resulted in 13 hours delay arriving to final destination), it is not exactly easy. At this stage SQ indicated they are going to fight their "technical issue with hydraulics" on inbound prior leaving SIN in Swiss court. They seem to be blind to all current rulings in EU.

jjjohn Jan 8, 2015 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by vbroucek (Post 24127877)
Yes, I know. I have engaged one of them but since I reside in Australia and it is ZRH-SIN-MEL-HBA itinerary (2 hour delay from ZRH due to late arrival of inbound resulted in 13 hours delay arriving to final destination), it is not exactly easy. At this stage SQ indicated they are going to fight their "technical issue with hydraulics" on inbound prior leaving SIN in Swiss court. They seem to be blind to all current rulings in EU.

Technical Issue was airlines responsibility.
Not like weather which was out of airlines control.

Singapore_Air Jan 9, 2015 1:15 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek (Post 24123041)

I disagree and would encourage the OP to definitely write-in and complain. They shoudn't be flying that product anymore.

lingua101 Jan 9, 2015 1:37 am

Originally Posted by TheAsiaTomBrady (Post 24123279)
Respectfully, it's irrelevant if other passengers aren't educated in what they are purchasing. I flew J SQ because of their offered product. If I knew it was different hardware, I would not have. There was not even an SMS or email that went out prior to the flight to give me the opportunity for a flight change.

And obviously I would prefer to fly J (or just fly at all) versus not because it was last minute and I didn't have another option... but that's not the point. They marketed a product, I purchased it, and they provided an inferior product and took accountability for it. In this situation, I think a gesture is in order. I'm not expecting anything because it's SQ but I think most other reputable merchants would. I'll see what they say and report back...

Did you ask to fly on the next day flight once you know there was aircraft substitution?