Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

PPS Value if ticket is issued by another *A airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S

Say I purchase a SQ First/Business ticket from UA, with a ticket number starting with 016. Will I be able to get PPS Value this way?

SQ's website only mentions that Suite, First, Bysiness on SQ is needed, and it never says whether it has to be ticketed by SQ.

Anyone with experience on this?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
As long as it is not an award booking should be OK.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Even if it's a award booking from SQ itself, we still earn proportional PPS VALUE, right?

I think I saw this on PPS CLUB's webpage.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Award bookings earn no miles or PPS Value. So I guess, in a way, yes, you still earn proportional value. That proportion just happens to be zero.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
For miles + cash bookings (if anyone does these) earn on cash component though. For regular awards, I assume not ... but since earn on fuel fines (YQ) started last year, do you get PPS credit for the YQ on award bookings or not?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:54 am

I was thinking that, but I suspect the answer is no. I definitely haven't received any PPS value on YQ for upgrade awards I've redeemed into J, so I don't see why award redemptions should earn PPS value too.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Here is the sentence from PPS Club webpage that I didn't fully understand:

For tickets paid with KrisFlyer miles, PPS Value can be earned in proportion to the fare (excluding airport taxes) that you have paid with your credit/debit card.

Since I am still using UA, and it doesn't charge fuel surcharges, I wasn't thinking about fuel surcharges when reading this. But now I think fuel surcharges might be the reason for this piece of statement.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
I never received any PPS value for either award or upgrade bookings.

For tickets not issued by SQ with SQ/VS flight number, you do earn. I took a few of those ex-RGN tickets and all of them earned PPS value. The calculations were not revealed but I believe they amounted to what the issuing airlines paid SQ (in my case, those were Delta-issued tickets). And in these RGN cases, the PPS values earned were 10x more than what I had actually paid for the tickets.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by zyxlsy
Here is the sentence from PPS Club webpage that I didn't fully understand:

For tickets paid with KrisFlyer miles, PPS Value can be earned in proportion to the fare (excluding airport taxes) that you have paid with your credit/debit card.

Since I am still using UA, and it doesn't charge fuel surcharges, I wasn't thinking about fuel surcharges when reading this. But now I think fuel surcharges might be the reason for this piece of statement.
This refers to fares that are paid for by a combination of miles and cash, and not to the fuel surcharges and taxes you pay on award redemptions. Look up the option to pay by KrisFlyer miles on the website for more information on this.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chisquared
This refers to fares that are paid for by a combination of miles and cash, and not to the fuel surcharges and taxes you pay on award redemptions. Look up the option to pay by KrisFlyer miles on the website for more information on this.
Thanks, looks like it is a pretty different program than UA's. I've got some learnings to do.

On the other side, being able to just dump some money and get the status is a big plus.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:40 am

Well, yes. However, unless you book ex-SIN, it is typically quite difficult to figure out how much PPS Value accrues to you with every booking. Other people have tried to figure it out, but it's very much a black box.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chisquared
Well, yes. However, unless you book ex-SIN, it is typically quite difficult to figure out how much PPS Value accrues to you with every booking. Other people have tried to figure it out, but it's very much a black box.
Sorry, but ex-SIN means?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Sorry, but ex-SIN means?
Trips originating from SIN, Singapore.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:31 am
Original Poster

So, for example, I go to Air China's ticketing office and purchase a PEK-NRT-LAX, with NRT-LAX on SQ12.

Obviously the ticket will have a Air China ticket number with CA pre-fix.

Will I still earn PPS Value on the NRT-LAX segment?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
So, for example, I go to Air China's ticketing office and purchase a PEK-NRT-LAX, with NRT-LAX on SQ12.

Obviously the ticket will have a Air China ticket number with CA pre-fix.

Will I still earn PPS Value on the NRT-LAX segment?
I have already answered it a few posts above.

Yes you do. I have had PPS value given for my DL-issued tickets ex-RGN, even on VS-coded SQ flights.

Think of the issuing carrier as another travel agent. And you will earn PPS values as long as you are in SQ metal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.