Wiki Posts
Search

Unpublished benefits of SQ G

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Unpublished benefits of SQ G

Greetings. I am thinking of coming over to SQ from TG and am trying to find out about any extra benefits that may be on the KF programme such as the TG free round trip upgrade or their 50% annual points redemption offer. These are not very clearly publicised by TG but definitely are a great benefit. Anything like this on SQ? Secondly I am struggling to understand the 3 tier SQ award chart with saver, standard and full awards at drastically different costs. The saver points levels appear around the same as most other *FFP programmes. Can anyone enlighten me please?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Nothing extra on SQ. The booking levels represent increasing chance of availability.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
There are no extra perks or benefits. Whilst ROP has its quirks and annoyances its a far more generous programme than KF.

The only benefit of joining KF is the better availability on SQ metal and the online 15% redemption discount. Depending on where you live, if there is a credit card that allows you to earn KF miles then use a credit card to earn miles whilst crediting status miles to TG.

Saver awards have limited availability but obviously cost less miles. Pay more miles = better availability
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

So I would be correct in thinking that AKL LHR on SQ in F or J over July / August would be pretty well unavailable in saver awards.
My reasons for considering the switch are that TG have dropped Amex as a partner and we get 100-150K miles on the Amex programme annually which I could transfer to SQ. Also, TG J service is becoming very basic these days.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:39 pm
Suspended

There may be a few available, usually involving long layover/overnight in SIN. Also note SQ286/5 are 77W at that time of year, not 388.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by Flyingbiker
So I would be correct in thinking that AKL LHR on SQ in F or J over July / August would be pretty well unavailable in saver awards.
My reasons for considering the switch are that TG have dropped Amex as a partner and we get 100-150K miles on the Amex programme annually which I could transfer to SQ. Also, TG J service is becoming very basic these days.
F savers are not impossible to get.

I guess that's the unpublished benefit of being KF flyer.

But not specifically for Gold, the only unpublished benefit of Gold, I think, is the priority level for op-up upgrade but the PPS members are still ahead. It's not impossible to be upgraded as a Gold on thin leisure routes such as Ahmedabad, Ho Chi Minh, etc. But can forget it if it is Hong Kong, and Mumbai. The PPS line is as long as Gold line.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQueeze
F savers are not impossible to get.

I guess that's the unpublished benefit of being KF flyer.

But not specifically for Gold, the only unpublished benefit of Gold, I think, is the priority level for op-up upgrade but the PPS members are still ahead. It's not impossible to be upgraded as a Gold on thin leisure routes such as Ahmedabad, Ho Chi Minh, etc. But can forget it if it is Hong Kong, and Mumbai. The PPS line is as long as Gold line.
Is that common with KF? I have been TG G for 12 years and the last op-up I got was almost 3 years back. It used to occur almost every other flight in the good old days!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
KF Gold has benefits???!?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingbiker
Is that common with KF? I have been TG G for 12 years and the last op-up I got was almost 3 years back. It used to occur almost every other flight in the good old days!
I don't know if op-up is common now or not since I travel business class to start with these days and it's pretty impossible to get upgraded to Suites on my most regularly flown routes (DEL/BOM). My other routes (BLR, SGN) do not have F.

When I was Gold, I got upgraded a few times: ATQ, HYD, MAA (2x), SGN (3x). The last one was about 3 years back. Usually much easier from the outstations, because I could just ask at the check-in counter and theywould upgrade in case of ovebooked flights. On the SIN end, they use an automatic system where pax are upgraded at the gate based on the tier and perhaps the fares paid.

Last edited by SQueeze; Dec 23, 2014 at 5:28 am
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by bluegreentravel
KF Gold has benefits???!?
My thought exactly... published or non!!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A dis-benefit to keep in mind is that SQ redeemable miles expire after a couple years even if your account has been active.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A dis-benefit to keep in mind is that SQ redeemable miles expire after a couple years even if your account has been active.
This is hardly an issue. I never keep them stashed for more than a year. Devaluation is always impending especially now. it has been quite awhile since the last devaluation. Better spend fast
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: KF*G, Cathay Silver
lol.

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
My thought exactly... published or non!!
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.