Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent Help: Upgrade of Booking Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Urgent Help: Upgrade of Booking Class

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade a booking with 6 pax in order to earn miles on other Star Alliance programme. The return flight sector is booked on Q class. Based on flightexpert availability, only Y4 is available in Economy for that sector.

Would an upgrade of fare class be possible in such scenario?

Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:22 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Sure, but a very expensive way to get some points. In order to do so you will need to call whoever issued the ticket, separate your ticket out from the other 5 travellers, so that you appear on a separate PNR. With your separate ticket you will need to pay the change fee and the difference between Q-fare and a full economy flexible Y-fare.

Money-wise you'd be better off simply buying another ticket if you have the time to travel, rather than upgrading a Q-fare to a Y-fare.

The first bit can be skipped if you wish to upgrade everyone on the itinerary to a Y-fare, but that is an even bigger waste of money in my opinion.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
You dont need "Y" class to earn miles in other *A programs. I believe a "W" class will suffice.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by slacker
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade a booking with 6 pax in order to earn miles on other Star Alliance programme. The return flight sector is booked on Q class. Based on flightexpert availability, only Y4 is available in Economy for that sector.

Would an upgrade of fare class be possible in such scenario?

Thanks.
What flights eg from to where?

Is it only you that wants to earn the miles?

Where did you buy the ticket? eg travel agent, on SQ's website?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What flights eg from to where?

Is it only you that wants to earn the miles?

Where did you buy the ticket? eg travel agent, on SQ's website?
Is for flight from SIN-NRT (H) / KIX-SIN (Q).
Person who made this booking totally overlooked the booking class and we needed the flexibility as well.
Can't believe the fare inclusive tax is around $1400.

Tix is brought from travel agent.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:51 pm

You spent $1400 on tickets and you want to pay more, just to get at max 3000mi?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:03 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by SirJman
You spent $1400 on tickets and you want to pay more, just to get at max 3000mi?
Whether it makes sense or not depends on the fare difference and how the miles will be used.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:13 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
The difference between a QESG and YRSG fare basis for travel in December 2014 SIN-KIX is 900 SGD return, so 450 SGD one-way. Added to this would be the change fee, on a QESG fare that is 50USD which is approx 65 SGD. So per person, at least based on these fares which may not be the fare you are travelling on, it is roughly 515 SGD to upgrade the fare to the a Y-fare.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the helpful response.

Had decided not to do anything to the ticket.

But I am more pissed that the travel agent booked the return sector in Q while the first sector is in H. I doubt there would be a much difference in price if the return sector had been booked in higher fare class.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Hi, I have a friend who is booked on "Biz Standard" on outbound and "Biz Flexi" on the return flight. In view of the current outbreak situation, he is thinking of upgrading the outbound ticket from "Biz Standard" to "Biz Flexi" so as to enjoy the change of flight date within the validity period.

In this scenario, having paid the fare differential between Biz Standard and Biz Flexi (with no changes in flight details at the points of change), subsequently, if he chooses to change the flight date, will he incur the flight change fee (under the original ticket) or he will enjoy the Biz Flexi where there is no charges in changing the travel dates. Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:23 am

Programs: Krisflyer
I can't see why the T&Cs for Biz Flexi would cease to apply just because the booking was once in a different class.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by onlySIA
I can't see why the T&Cs for Biz Flexi would cease to apply just because the booking was once in a different class.

when you upfare to flexi class, then cancel. You can only get the upfare back. The original fare condition determines whether the rest is refundable or how much is the cancellation fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.