Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer

Advice on bring back a case of wine from France

Old Oct 6, 14, 10:20 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by aster View Post
Are you sure about this? I thought I heard something a while back that whereas your duty-free limit is 2L... there is no duty-free limit if you have more. So if you have 2L then you pay nothing, but if you have 3L then you pay tax on all 3L.

Just what I recall hearing, maybe someone has checked the laws recently and can confirm...
Based on the Singapore customs' web-site http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/tr...ST+Relief.html:

You have to pay the taxes on goods exceeding your duty-free concession and on goods you are carrying for or on behalf of other persons. For more information on the duty rates imposed on the goods, please click here
Old Oct 6, 14, 1:18 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Duty free allowance:
Option Spirits Wine Beer
A 1 Litre 1 Litre 1 Litre
B - 2 Litres 1 Litre
C - 1 Litre 2 Litres

Regulations pertaining to alcohol import (covers hand carry items as well):

The import of intoxicating liquors exceeding 10
litres and tobacco products exceeding 400 grams
must be covered by the relevant Customs permit

All above can be viewed on Singapore Customs website. They have a useful guide that you can download:

http://www.customs.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyr...Eng_Lowres.pdf
Old Oct 6, 14, 1:52 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Many thanks, that clears it up guys.

Just curious though why they ask to have the following info ready regarding alcohol: "Volume, Alcoholic Strength & Value."

I thought that everything is calculated according to the volume & strength of the alcohol in question, not the value.
Old Oct 6, 14, 10:45 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Will lookup in case any of my customs receipts are lying around once I get back to SIN but perhaps, the value if the goods affects the GST..
Old Oct 6, 14, 10:59 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by aster View Post
Many thanks, that clears it up guys.

Just curious though why they ask to have the following info ready regarding alcohol: "Volume, Alcoholic Strength & Value."

I thought that everything is calculated according to the volume & strength of the alcohol in question, not the value.
Duty on alcohol is only assessed on the volume and strength of the alcohol, but you are also liable for GST, which is assessed on the value of goods. As to whether they assess or not, I guess is at the discretion of the officer.
Old Oct 8, 14, 12:17 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, CX Gold, SPG Plat
I have brought back 8 to 10 bottles of wines from France numerous times into SIN. I came to a point when I used those sophisticated (lol) "strategies" to lower the risk of being checked... pretending I'm on the phone speaking to someone + pretending I'm waving at someone landside come fetch me + follow a large group of Chinese travellers with their multiples cartons/luggages (no offense, but I noticed they are more likely to be checked...)... the above combination worked well over the years, I was checked once only in 10 years and my suitcase was "clean" on that day... then I found out tax duties are only 7$/bottle
Old Oct 8, 14, 1:58 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I would say aside from the tax consideration make sure you get really good packaging as another poster recommended. That's the key. Even with fragile stickers the bags / cartons may not always be handled gently and they need to be able to survive a bit of bumping around.

If you can't get that recommended box you may want to consider other items. I actually use a bunch of re-usable wine 'diapers' to provide cushioning and soak up the content if it comes to the worst and it breaks. Other people I know use something called a wine safeguard / bottle protector. Can find at Amazon online for example.

I did have my luggage totally soaked in red wine and smelling like a drunkard after someone else's bottles had broken inside his luggage and leaked out onto other luggage. It was on OS and they did compensate me for some of the items that could not be cleaned / recovered, but it was a big pain.
Old Oct 8, 14, 2:17 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, CX Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by demue View Post
I would say aside from the tax consideration make sure you get really good packaging as another poster recommended. That's the key. Even with fragile stickers the bags / cartons may not always be handled gently and they need to be able to survive a bit of bumping around.

If you can't get that recommended box you may want to consider other items. I actually use a bunch of re-usable wine 'diapers' to provide cushioning and soak up the content if it comes to the worst and it breaks. Other people I know use something called a wine safeguard / bottle protector. Can find at Amazon online for example.

I did have my luggage totally soaked in red wine and smelling like a drunkard after someone else's bottles had broken inside his luggage and leaked out onto other luggage. It was on OS and they did compensate me for some of the items that could not be cleaned / recovered, but it was a big pain.
Indeed, I'd recommend you pay a visit to a serious wine shop. I have hard plastic 2-layers bottle containers that I fully rely upon. Beware, being thick, they will had to your luggage weight concern. If you get regular 75cl wine bottles, that should fine, but odd-shape bottles (Krug, Ruinart for instance) will not fit in.
Old Oct 8, 14, 2:24 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I wonder how this works if someone was to bring in 'Chateux Le Carton' for instance.

Could you still deduct the first 2L as duty-free and pay for the rest even though it's a single box?
Old Oct 8, 14, 4:54 pm

jagmeets - do you get charged alcohol duty based on alcohol volume x S$88 and on top of that 7% GST?
Old Oct 9, 14, 4:27 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
jagmeets - do you get charged alcohol duty based on alcohol volume x S$88 and on top of that 7% GST?
Per regulations alcohol is subject to both alcohol duty and GST. There is no GST relief on alcohol (nor on cigarettes), so you are liable for GST on anything beyond the duty-free allowance, even if under the S$600 relief.

This announcement from SG Customs has a handy example. It is a bit old so the relief criteria and levels have changed, but the overall principle has not.

http://www.customs.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyr...al_website.pdf
Old Oct 9, 14, 4:28 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

carrotjuice - couldn't find my receipts..but fimo's reply above sounds right.
Old Nov 21, 22, 3:39 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Awaking an extremely old thread, but can't find a better topic to cover this in.

Will be bringing back five bottles of expensive (at least in the current market / and on the second hand market) Japanese whisky, travelling with a friend.

If I'm understanding it correctly, if my friend takes one bottle (incidentally the most expensive one, which I also don't have a purchase receipt for), and I take the other four, then his bottle and one of my bottles will be entirely duty/GST free?

And for the other three I pay duty (43% alcohol x 70cl x SGD $88) = SGD ~$26 per bottle AND GST on the purchase price (luckily I have electronic receipts from when I purchased them YEARS ago at a fraction of what they cost now)? Total should be something like $110, which is definitely worth it for me.

Hopefully someone can help on this.
Old Nov 23, 22, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Yes. However keep in mind the official rules for duty free - not for sale and for private consumption only. You will have to look up how transfers / gifts would officially work for your friend.
You will also have duty free allowance for 1L of wine, as stated upthread.
Kilian Zoll likes this.

Search this Thread