Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ Saver award - second stopover for $100?

SQ Saver award - second stopover for $100?

Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:30 am

Trying to redeem a one-way saver award flight from DPS to MNL with a week stopover in SIN. Checking each segment seems to have a good availability but I hope the agent who I'll talk to will know about the $100 stopover!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:15 am

Can you book an award ticket online and then call to add the stopover for $100? My one way award has 3 legs and I'd like to do a stopover before starting the 2nd leg of the trip. It looks like there is still availability on all legs even after I booked the award ticket. Would there be a fee since only the dates would be changing?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Can you book an award ticket online and then call to add the stopover for $100? My one way award has 3 legs and I'd like to do a stopover before starting the 2nd leg of the trip. It looks like there is still availability on all legs even after I booked the award ticket. Would there be a fee since only the dates would be changing?
Should be OK. Just find a right agent.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:09 pm

I booked a one way ticket SFO-HKG-SIN-MNL in F online. Called in today to get a stopover in HKG and a stopover in SIN.

The agent said that he was able to get me a stopover in SIN but not in HKG. The reason being is that the SFO-HKG flight is now wait-listed. He said that my ticket is for SFO-SIN SIN-SFO.

I asked if he could just cancel my itinerary and rebook since I already had the SFO-HKG. He said no, that if my ticket is canceled that my seat may go to someone on the wait list.

Any ideas?

I also noticed that the seat map only has 3 seats taken. When I looked two days ago there was availability and saw only 3 seats taken on ExpertFlyer. Now it is on wait list and only 3 seats are taken.

Last edited by Astrophsx; Aug 10, 2015 at 11:19 pm
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
This is probably a ridiculous question but I figured I'd double check here. I noticed that SQ considers Turkey part of the Middle East and the SQ-only award chart includes an entry for awards from the Middle East to the US west coast.

Does this mean it's possible to book an SQ award IST-SIN-NRT-LAX? If so, is it possible to get stopovers in both SIN and NRT on a saver award (paying the fee of course)?

FWIW the online multi-city tool doesn't allow stopovers between IST and LAX (but does from DXB and other cities in the ME).
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
I booked a one way ticket SFO-HKG-SIN-MNL in F online. Called in today to get a stopover in HKG and a stopover in SIN.

The agent said that he was able to get me a stopover in SIN but not in HKG. The reason being is that the SFO-HKG flight is now wait-listed. He said that my ticket is for SFO-SIN SIN-SFO.

I asked if he could just cancel my itinerary and rebook since I already had the SFO-HKG. He said no, that if my ticket is canceled that my seat may go to someone on the wait list.

Any ideas?

I also noticed that the seat map only has 3 seats taken. When I looked two days ago there was availability and saw only 3 seats taken on ExpertFlyer. Now it is on wait list and only 3 seats are taken.
That is indeed correct. As far as the system is aware, you are traveling from SFO - SIN - MNL, not SFO - HKG - SIN - MNL. An important distinction from a system perspective.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Originally Posted by txflyer77
This is probably a ridiculous question but I figured I'd double check here. I noticed that SQ considers Turkey part of the Middle East and the SQ-only award chart includes an entry for awards from the Middle East to the US west coast.

Does this mean it's possible to book an SQ award IST-SIN-NRT-LAX? If so, is it possible to get stopovers in both SIN and NRT on a saver award (paying the fee of course)?

FWIW the online multi-city tool doesn't allow stopovers between IST and LAX (but does from DXB and other cities in the ME).
The people working at SQ are some of the best in the industry, they are not stupid to allow you to do that routing in the same itinerary. We aren't talking US Airways over here. I was even denied SIN - FRA - LAX because that was taking the long way.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by aviationp
The people working at SQ are some of the best in the industry, they are not stupid to allow you to do that routing in the same itinerary. We aren't talking US Airways over here. I was even denied SIN - FRA - LAX because that was taking the long way.
Then why do they include an award fare from the Middle East to the US west coast in their SQ-only award chart? That can only be routed via SIN-NRT/HKG-LAX/SFO on SQ metal.

I plan on calling and trying for myself later this week but at the moment I'm not able to get away from work long enough to place that call so I was hoping to find out from others here.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Well, from a quick review of the SQ one way award chart:

Zone 9 (ANZ) to Zone 13 (West Coast USA): 100K miles
Zone 10 (Middle East and Turkey) to Zone 13: 95K miles
(KF mile costs are J Saver)

And, for reference:

SIN-CHC - 10,440 miles
SIN-IST - 10,766 miles
(distances from Matrix ITA)

No one is going to deny that CHC-SIN-NRT-LAX is a valid routing (good luck with booking it though!), and that ticket only runs you 5K more miles than IST-SIN-NRT-LAX. Not saying that IST-SIN-NRT-LAX is going to be a valid routing on SQ, but would just like to point out that it is not all that unreasonable, plus the mileage cost seems to be somewhat on par with the actual distance travelled, give or take a bit.

Last edited by elleana; Sep 17, 2015 at 12:39 am
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by aviationp
I would have thought that SIN-FRA-LAX wouldn't have worked because SQ has no metal going FRA-LAX (pretty sure no codeshares either), and you would have needed a star alliance partner award to do this.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:39 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to book SIN-TYO-LAX on a saver award with a stopover but fly into HND and out of NRT? Obviously you can do SIN-NRT-LAX with a stopover in Tokyo, curious if SQ considers HND and NRT to be coterminals. Can't do it online.

edit: Regarding my earlier question about flying IST-SIN-NRT-LAX—a few days the search form just wouldn't populate the stopover dropdown, now it will (with both SIN and NRT) but the search returns an error about backtracking. Very interesting. Appears you could book DXB-SIN-NRT-LAX online though.

edit2: I will never again mock UA's front-end IT after banging my head against sq.com for the last hour.

Last edited by txflyer77; Sep 20, 2015 at 2:15 pm
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:29 pm

Any ideas?

Can I find out if you called the Singapore call center?
I tried to do that with the Canada call center/help, and they tell me, no stop over allowed, it will be considered 2 separate tickets, with change fee, and additional fare differences
WTH?!?!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I got 2 phone SQ agents recently tell me that you can not have a stopover even for $100 on a star alliance one-way award booking. That stopover option is only available when flying entire itinerary on SQ flights. So, I can not fly GIG-FRA on LH F, have a stopover and continue on FRA-SIN on SQ F (wanted to avoid YQ this way ex-Brazil). No go. Is it in accordance with the rule or I may have luck calling again?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by romanbel81
Hello,

I got 2 phone SQ agents recently tell me that you can not have a stopover even for $100 on a star alliance one-way award booking. That stopover option is only available when flying entire itinerary on SQ flights. So, I can not fly GIG-FRA on LH F, have a stopover and continue on FRA-SIN on SQ F (wanted to avoid YQ this way ex-Brazil). No go. Is it in accordance with the rule or I may have luck calling again?
I can't comment on a 1 way stopover on *A booking. However I've been allowed stopovers on a roundtrip *A ticket routing CGK-SIN-KIX-TPE-HKG-SIN-CGK. Mix of SQ and EVA.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldrally
I can't comment on a 1 way stopover on *A booking. However I've been allowed stopovers on a roundtrip *A ticket routing CGK-SIN-KIX-TPE-HKG-SIN-CGK. Mix of SQ and EVA.
Could you please disclose in what cities you make stopovers? If its only in SIN than its another story, however you still have *A award, and I was told it would not be allowed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.