Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore to London (Heathrow)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Singapore to London (Heathrow)

I will be flying from Singapore to London (Heathrow) next month. I have the option to book Premium Economy, but of course SQ does not have that. I'd like to ask a few questions:

1. Are there any Star Alliance carriers that have a workable Singapore-LHR flights with a Premium Economy option? What would that connection be like?

2. If you had to choose between SQ Economy and British Airways Premium Economy on this flight (2-way), which is better?

3. Do SQ A380 planes to LHR have an upper deck economy section?

4. Which SQ flights to LHR are most likely to have Saver redemption seats to Business available?

Thank you for your advice!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:16 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Welcome to FT.

1) EVA Airways BKK-LHR would be the nearest Star alliance option. Plenty of flights SIN-BKK to connect but whether you can get this all on one ticket and what it would cost, you would probably need a travel agent to figure out for you.

2) Obviously the BA flight would be better due to the wider seat and extra legroom. If you took the SQ flight then paying the additional fee for a preferred seat would help redress the balance a little..

3) Generally 308 has the all J upper deck (version 2) and 322 has the Y cabin (version 1)

4) No hard and fast rules but generally from easiest to hardest it seems to be.. 318 - 306/308-322
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea
3) Generally 308 has the all J upper deck (version 2) and 322 has the Y cabin (version 1)
Isn't 308 currently served by the new 77W??
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Also depends on the time of day you want to travel. BA only fly overnight ex-SIN. Personally, I find in Y the day time flights on SQ are great and would take that compared to overnight in Y+ on BA, particularly if I could get a premium seat on SQ. On overnights probably BA Y+ better.

The whole cabin seems much more relaxed on the day flight, the crew more energetic, and as hardly anyone is desperately trying to sleep, not as many recline and people are more than willing to let you out if trapped in window seat etc etc, so stretching legs is not a problem.

I'd be as bold to say SQ 308 in particular (which takes place more or less entirely when I would be awake in SIN) is the best long haul flight I've taken.

Coming back I also prefer the morning departures ex Europe to overnight for the same reason. There's something about a cabin full of people who are already tired when they board, possibly grumpy, and trying to get to sleep in uncomfortable economy seats that makes the journey awful.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I'd be as bold to say SQ 308 in particular (which takes place more or less entirely when I would be awake in SIN) is the best long haul flight I've taken.
The only direct LHR flight I take Ex-SIN where possible. ^^
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
LosAngeles11 - firstly welcome to flyertalk and what a great question to start with!

This is a route that I do around 6 times a year and since my firm cut business travel I'm stuck with the same dilemma.

I tend to agree with what the other FT'ers have said here if you are going daytime then SQ308 is a good option. If overnight then I would go with BA premium economy.

If you do choose the BA option - beware though that the premium economy on the 747s is terrible, ensure that you only fly on the 777s. I'd give you the flight numbers that hey stick these on but they seem to change every now and then, but you can check when you book.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller
If you do choose the BA option - beware though that the premium economy on the 747s is terrible, ensure that you only fly on the 777s. I'd give you the flight numbers that hey stick these on but they seem to change every now and then, but you can check when you book.
BA11/12 is serviced by the 747, but will be replaced by the A380 for 3 flights per week wef 28 October 2014.

BA15/16 will continue to be served by the 773.

Too late for you to take the A380, but at least u know not to take BA11/12...

Source
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319
The only direct LHR flight I take Ex-SIN where possible. ^^
Taken this 3 times over last 2 years... each time in J it's very empty, even when it's just a few days before Christmas. Day flight doesn't seem to be popular? I hear from chatting with crew during my flights, Y is fairly sparsely populated as well.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Taken this 3 times over last 2 years... each time in J it's very empty, even when it's just a few days before Christmas. Day flight doesn't seem to be popular? I hear from chatting with crew during my flights, Y is fairly sparsely populated as well.
When I took it in late April, I only spotted two empty seats in Y. It may depend on the season.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
That's one of the reasons I like this flight as well... It has relatively lower loads compared to the other LHR flights. The lowest load I have seen for this flight was approx 40 pax in Y...

Although I was sitting in Y at the time, due to the very light loads, meals was served directly from the galley with the crew taking orders from you. As I had requested for warm water, the LSS even topped up my warm water regularly without me asking for it.

So it was almost like getting J service while sitting in Y.

The afternoon flight is good for people who want to sleep it off upon arriving to get over the jet lag.

The evening flights are good for those who don't want to waste half a day in the air and wants to hit the ground running upon arrival early morning...
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
The morning flight to LHR on the A380 was virtually empty during my last trip. It was truly an eerie feeling as there were only a handful of pax seated beyond the front biz section (on an all-biz upper deck). I was on a saver biz award then.

Now if you ever need to redeem in F then any flight on the 77W is cake easy to get saver awards on for obvious reasons.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Hi Losangeles11!

I am based in Singapore and have travelled to LHR on both SQ Y and BA Premium Y.

If I had to choose between BA Premium Y and SQ Y, I would go for BA Premium Y on their new 777-300ER’s on this route.

Pictures are worth a thousand words...have a look at the TRs below for some pictures of the products in question.

BA Premium Y SIN-LHR on 777-300ER
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthre...3726&page=5#71

If you need to travel Y, SQ to LHR is hard to beat, either on the 77W (i.e. 777-300ER) or A380.

SQ 77W in Y (LHR-SIN)
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthre...3502&page=2#19

SQ also flies 777-300ER’s with the latest Y product (77WN) on this route. If you get a new 77WN, you are in for a treat!
Latest SQ Y product on 77WN (LHR-SIN)
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=187051#5

SQ A380 Y (SIN-FRA)
Similar hard product as A380 on SIN-LHR
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14215#2

I would avoid BA Premium Y on the 744, as the equipment can be quite dated:
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13502#12

Hope this info is useful!

sqyf
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Currently SQ306 is showing 77W on the system, is there any chance to going back to 388 in Oct/Nov?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by sqyf
Hi Losangeles11!

I am based in Singapore and have travelled to LHR on both SQ Y and BA Premium Y.

If I had to choose between BA Premium Y and SQ Y, I would go for BA Premium Y on their new 777-300ER’s on this route.

Pictures are worth a thousand words...have a look at the TRs below for some pictures of the products in question.

BA Premium Y SIN-LHR on 777-300ER
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthre...3726&page=5#71

If you need to travel Y, SQ to LHR is hard to beat, either on the 77W (i.e. 777-300ER) or A380.

SQ 77W in Y (LHR-SIN)
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthre...3502&page=2#19

SQ also flies 777-300ER’s with the latest Y product (77WN) on this route. If you get a new 77WN, you are in for a treat!
Latest SQ Y product on 77WN (LHR-SIN)
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=187051#5

SQ A380 Y (SIN-FRA)
Similar hard product as A380 on SIN-LHR
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14215#2

I would avoid BA Premium Y on the 744, as the equipment can be quite dated:
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13502#12

Hope this info is useful!

sqyf
Great reports! ^^ I haven't been on SQtalk for a while now.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by SQ319
Great reports! ^^ I haven't been on SQtalk for a while now.
Glad you found the reports of interest, SQ319!

FlyerTalk is great, but SQTalk has a uniquely local charm and character (It is also where SIA fact and myth are discussed to the nth level...)! I spend time on both... :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.