Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions on KrisFlyer miles expiration

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Questions on KrisFlyer miles expiration

Was looking through the rules for KrisFlyer expiration, and here's my interpretation.

Miles expire after 3 years, there is no renewal period (it's not like most airlines where you can just add more miles and everything gets extended again). If there is no activity within 18mth, your miles also expire.

Is the 3 year expiration the time to use it, or does also include the time when the flight is redeemed? E.g. I transfer 200k KF miles on Aug 1 2014. On Jul 31 2017, I make a reservation for a flight on Dec 25-31 2017 using the miles, is that going to work?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Miles expire after 18mths if no activity?

Oh I didn't know if there's no activity within 18 mths, the miles expire? I thought the miles would still be intact within 3 years even if no activity?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Was looking through the rules for KrisFlyer expiration, and here's my interpretation.

Miles expire after 3 years, there is no renewal period (it's not like most airlines where you can just add more miles and everything gets extended again). If there is no activity within 18mth, your miles also expire.

Is the 3 year expiration the time to use it, or does also include the time when the flight is redeemed? E.g. I transfer 200k KF miles on Aug 1 2014. On Jul 31 2017, I make a reservation for a flight on Dec 25-31 2017 using the miles, is that going to work?
Define "no activity within 18 months". This is my first time hearing this.

You can extend your expiring miles for an additional 6 months before they expire for good. If you are an Elite member, the extension would be for 12 months. There is a surcharge of 1,200 miles per 10,000 miles extended, iirc.

Yes, your suggested method in the last para will work as long as you ticket the reservation before the miles expire. Note that the ticket cannot be on waitlist or on hold, the ticket MUST be issued.

However, if in the event that you have to cancel the ticket and have the miles redeposited, the expired miles would then be expired and would not be redeposited.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:33 am

Is the miles extension 6 months from when you pay, or when they were due to expire?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Catch23
Is the miles extension 6 months from when you pay, or when they were due to expire?
6 months from when they are due to expire, and you can extend up to 3 months of expiring miles in each transaction (hence consolidating your miles to max up the 1,200 miles surcharge).
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by SQ319
You can extend your expiring miles for an additional 6 months before they expire for good. If you are an Elite member, the extension would be for 12 months. There is a surcharge of 1,200 miles per 10,000 miles extended, iirc.
Actually much cheaper to extend by paying US$12 rather than 1,200 miles

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/pp...risflyer-fees/
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:46 am

Last year, my friend wanted to redeem for a round trip ticket to Japan. We found out that my friend's miles have just expired recently. We called Singapore Airlines and the agent was able to reinstate the expired miles for a fee of about US$25 out of good will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.