Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

NRT layover (SQ11) - what if I don't want to visit the lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:20 am
Original Poster

All - require some guidance for an upcoming NRT layover. As the title indicates, I'd rather get a snack somewhere other than the lounge. I'm flying Suites ex-LAX so will be first off the plane. Layover is 1:50 if I recall. I'd appreciate any colour regarding the following:

1. Meal offerings in terminal appear weak, based on NRT website. True?
2. If I want to head landslide, I need to enter the country. I'm not averse to this if time. How's immigration at this hour, is there a fasttrack? And if I reach immigration and lines are formidable, can one double back and remain airside?
3. If I enter Japan and subsequently enjoy the food offerings landslide, is there fasttrack back to airside? As I recall, SQ11 is one of the last flights out, so I'm guessing lines wouldn't be too challenging.

Overall, too risky?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:33 am

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your inquiry, but I just wanted to know are you expected to arrive hungry @ NRT flying Suites ?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Virginia Emery
Sorry, I don't have an answer to your inquiry, but I just wanted to know are you expected to arrive hungry @ NRT flying Suites ?
A good observation. I will have positioned in LAX from NYC the night before, pulled an all-nighter (local LA time), then intend to then sleep from about 0800~1200 before heading to LAX a few blocks away. I've booked the cook for Japanese meals all the way through to SIN. Plan is to thoroughly enjoy the Suite experience LAXNRT, take the main meal offering and as much Krug as possible but pass on the second meal, and sleep no more than 2 hours but won't ask them to make up the bed. I'd like to graze in NRT because I enjoy the food there and want a chance to stretch my legs. May or may not take the dinner NRTSIN as I intend to sleep as much of those 7 hours as possible. 3 hour layover in SIN affords time for a shower but no TPR due opening hours (very disappointed about that)...then I'm off to Bali where I hope to reunite with my family for a big lunch.

So if I arrive hungry and thirsty in Narita, it will only be by choice!

Best, Jamie
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:23 am

There is a sushi restaurant in airside T1 (near the UA RCC and quite close to the A380 SQ gates, IIRC) which I'm told is more than acceptable. Maybe that would be the best compromise.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:33 pm

NRT is definitely not very busy at that time, but I'd reckon most of the shops/eating places landside are closed/wrapping up due to the lack of people (the options aren't outstanding.)

Strangely enough, departing NRT I've been told only NH F, NH elites, LH F, LX F and HON get the fast track security which is by the ANA Suite Check-In corner.

I wouldn't waste time going landside. The ANA F lounge isn't that bad. I'd stop by either for the curry/udon, have a drink then get ready to board your ongoing flight. In the alternate, as someone has already mentioned, there seemed to be a decent sushi place airside too.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tng11
NRT is definitely not very busy at that time, but I'd reckon most of the shops/eating places landside are closed/wrapping up due to the lack of people (the options aren't outstanding.)

Strangely enough, departing NRT I've been told only NH F, NH elites, LH F, LX F and HON get the fast track security which is by the ANA Suite Check-In corner.

I wouldn't waste time going landside. The ANA F lounge isn't that bad. I'd stop by either for the curry/udon, have a drink then get ready to board your ongoing flight. In the alternate, as someone has already mentioned, there seemed to be a decent sushi place airside too.
Yeah, you're probably right. I visit NRT so infrequently these days (unlike when I lived in GUM) so was hoping to visit some of my old haunts. But it doesn't sound worth it. I appreciate those that chimed in.

All the best, Jamie
Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
All - require some guidance for an upcoming NRT layover. As the title indicates, I'd rather get a snack somewhere other than the lounge. I'm flying Suites ex-LAX so will be first off the plane. Layover is 1:50 if I recall. I'd appreciate any colour regarding the following:

1. Meal offerings in terminal appear weak, based on NRT website. True?
2. If I want to head landslide, I need to enter the country. I'm not averse to this if time. How's immigration at this hour, is there a fasttrack? And if I reach immigration and lines are formidable, can one double back and remain airside?
3. If I enter Japan and subsequently enjoy the food offerings landslide, is there fasttrack back to airside? As I recall, SQ11 is one of the last flights out, so I'm guessing lines wouldn't be too challenging.

Overall, too risky?
I wouldn't go landside, it's a pain in the butt and a long walk from the SQ gates. The best food at the airport is at the ANA Suites Lounge anyway, which you will have access to. The curry udon is excellent. All their noodle dishes are good and made to order. The rest of the buffet selection is quite excellent too. As is the sake collection.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
The sushi place (Sushi Kyotatsu) which is located between the United Club and the ANA lounge near gate 46 is decent. If you are walking from the United Club to the ANA lounge the sushi place is on the left. No reason to try to go landside.

Last edited by kluau88; Jun 20, 2014 at 10:40 pm
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:40 am

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
Yeah, just stay airside; especially sq likes to board pax as early as possible. Too risky to go to landslide. Lounge food is good; go get cold japanese beer, sake, udon or curry. Sushi restaurant is good too, around $7 a piece. If u keep going straight from the sushi restaurant, you will see food court too. Imho, just stay at the lounge, u wont be dissapointed with the food.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:12 am

Japanese Immigration is unlikely to let you clear immigration if you tell them you only have that short connection. You could lie to them, but that would cause bigger issues if they find out. Getting pulled into secondary/bag search if they think you are a drug runner is going to cause you to miss the connection.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:15 am

Check out this blog and use the "Search this blog" function at the bottom and search for Narita. This blogger flies *A too, so you can see your options available in the lounge and also airside.

http://eatbma.blogspot.sg/
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SirJman
Japanese Immigration is unlikely to let you clear immigration if you tell them you only have that short connection. You could lie to them, but that would cause bigger issues if they find out. Getting pulled into secondary/bag search if they think you are a drug runner is going to cause you to miss the connection.
Good point. I've had this issue at LHR, come to think of it. Thanks - Jamie
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
NRT has plenty of great food options, especially in the ANA lounge. Don't miss the sushi bar with the sign "Best last place to have sushi".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.