FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   SIA to introduce new premium economy class on its flights from next year (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1575601-sia-introduce-new-premium-economy-class-its-flights-next-year.html)

AddictedTraveller May 8, 2014 9:07 pm

SIA to introduce new premium economy class on its flights from next year

From Straits Times:

Singapore Airlines will launch a premium economy class on its flights progressively from the second half of next year, chief executive officer Goh Choon Phong announced Friday morning at a media briefing. He did not give further details but said: "When we set our mind to do something, it will be done well." The airline had previously said it had no plans to introduce this category of seats as it believed that the premium market would remain relevant

Article Link here.

Good news for those stuck in Economy due to cost cutting, but most likely bad news for those that like upgrades from economy to business - I generally think this may be bad for KrisFlyer members - see here why.

cmdsea May 8, 2014 9:36 pm

Hooray..!!

Now i wonder if they still have the seats from the A345's still lying around in a storage warehouse somewhere... :D

planetshakers May 8, 2014 9:41 pm

Quote "When we set our mind to do something, it will be done well."

The website clearly wasn't on their minds :)

Now the question is, how much miles will PE cost?

djsflynn May 8, 2014 11:06 pm

FYI, more details through: B777s first, shortly followed by A380s and then "the A350-900s that will operate on long-haul routes" says SQ spinner. The new seats will begin to be fitted from the middle of 2015, and while focus for premium economy will be on long-distance routes, "it will also be offered on some prime medium-haul routes."

http://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-ai...350-boeing-777

[Declaration: I'm the author of the story linked above, but sharing this because it's got additional details which the FT folk will likely appreciate]

AddictedTraveller May 8, 2014 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by planetshakers (Post 22835248)

The website clearly wasn't on their minds :)

Now the question is, how much miles will PE cost?

Trying not be cynical after reading this!

On other airlines PE is usually around 1.5-2.5 times the price of Economy.

tboons May 9, 2014 4:41 am

PE could prolly get you a business class promo fares in the second tier carriers like TG or MH?

roberino May 9, 2014 5:03 am

So SQ will be a five class airline? That's bonkers!

alphaod May 9, 2014 6:53 am

Look forward to seeing their new product.

pogonation May 9, 2014 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by roberino (Post 22836379)

What's the fifth class? :confused:

1353513636 May 9, 2014 1:30 pm

I know this is SIA, but usually an annoucement like this is followed with an announcement of huge downgrades to Y-, such as 10-across 777.

kburges May 9, 2014 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by roberino (Post 22836379)

no 6 class, standing only, skinny seat, little less skinny seat, normal seat, business & first.

SingaporeDon May 9, 2014 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 22838738)
I know this is SIA, but usually an annoucement like this is followed with an announcement of huge downgrades to Y-, such as 10-across 777.

They had PE on the longhuals before. I don't think they will downgrade economy.

SingaporeDon May 9, 2014 2:53 pm

Wonder what will happen to the upgrade chart. Will it be a two step upgrade from economy to business, or would they allow one class upgrade only?

austin_res May 9, 2014 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 22838738)

I find downgrades, especially in Y, are implemented unannounced.

carrotjuice May 9, 2014 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by planetshakers (Post 22835248)

And when we originally set our mind NOT to do something, this was decided so hastily and poorly that we have to negate the decision later on.

What a load of corporate PR tosh! :p