Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Krisflyer Star Alliance Awards Routing Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Was wondering what the rules are with MPM and routing via third zone?

I want to do GVA-ZRH-SIN-CMB and not sure whether that would be permissible.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
That's a bit of a grey area:

Travel must be via a published route. Backtracking is not permitted except as required by route restrictions. Backtracking occurs when a journey does not continue in the same direction in which it began. An itinerary containing a backtracking sector not required by route restrictions may require separate tickets.

I could not find any published route for GVA-CMB that goes via SIN. SIN-CMB would also be back-tracking.

Call them and ask them to help you find a suitable routing, they might offer it themselves as the only option possible.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMK77
That's a bit of a grey area:

Travel must be via a published route. Backtracking is not permitted except as required by route restrictions. Backtracking occurs when a journey does not continue in the same direction in which it began. An itinerary containing a backtracking sector not required by route restrictions may require separate tickets.

I could not find any published route for GVA-CMB that goes via SIN. SIN-CMB would also be back-tracking.

Call them and ask them to help you find a suitable routing, they might offer it themselves as the only option possible.
hm, i do see a published sq fare for gva-cmb though

V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
1 EOW1SQ E‡O 1305.00 ---- - -/12M EH01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT AUTO PRICE-YES
FROM-GVA TO-CMB CXR-SQ TVL-04FEB14 RULE-CH20 IPREUAS/4
FARE BASIS-EOW1SQ NORMAL FARE DIS-N VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-ER OW-ECONOMY RESTRICTED
CHF 1170 1840 E01FEB13 D-INFINITY FC-EOW1SQ FN-1G
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 05FEB13/0925 EXPIRES INFINITY

PUBLISHED RTG GVA-CMB/SQ1840/TAR-EURG EF-06FEB13 DIS-INDEF

/WITHIN THE EASTERN HEMISPHERE/
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. GVA-SQ/LX/LH-FRA-SQ-SIN-ZH/SQ/MI/CA-CMB
2. GVA-LH-MUC-SQ-SIN-ZH/SQ/MI/CA-CMB
3. GVA-SQ/LX-ZRH-SQ-SIN-ZH/SQ/MI/CA-CMB
will call and check then
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:36 pm

I would call, and ask them to find flights. If the can't, offer your routing/flights.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:17 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Curious if anyone has any insight on whether a routing like SIN-NRT-JFK would be allowed (on some combination of SQ and/or NH)? It is actually a shorter distance than SIN-FRA-JFK, and it would certainly be a published routing for NH, but AFAIK maybe not for SQ. Does SQ try to "force" you onto their own routing for a trip like this?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
Curious if anyone has any insight on whether a routing like SIN-NRT-JFK would be allowed (on some combination of SQ and/or NH)? It is actually a shorter distance than SIN-FRA-JFK, and it would certainly be a published routing for NH, but AFAIK maybe not for SQ. Does SQ try to "force" you onto their own routing for a trip like this?
Well, ITA Matrix certainly says you can:

Not sure how to book this routing though. Maybe through phone?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
It would be under Star Alliance Award redemption since it's not all pure SQ metal. So no 15% discount and you'll have to book through the phone as well. The miles needed for that trip (SIN-NRT-JFK) in Business Class would be 195k as compared to 144.5k on SQ metal (SIN-FRA-JFK).
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:50 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by shuigao
Well, ITA Matrix certainly says you can:

Not sure how to book this routing though. Maybe through phone?
Ah, thanks, that gives me some comfort. I didn't see that routing come up on SQ.com or other channels when searching for SQ flights, and what routing rules I've been able to dig up seem to suggest they're all based on travel via the Atlantic, so wasn't sure if SQ recognized that routing--but this does seem to give some evidence that they do.

Originally Posted by lcpteck
It would be under Star Alliance Award redemption since it's not all pure SQ metal. So no 15% discount and you'll have to book through the phone as well. The miles needed for that trip (SIN-NRT-JFK) in Business Class would be 195k as compared to 144.5k on SQ metal (SIN-FRA-JFK).
Understood that it is more miles, but if it's the difference of being able to get a ticket on the desired date or not, I'm willing to shell out. I'm looking at F/R and by my calculations for a one-way SIN-JFK it would either be 93,500 miles on SIN-FRA-JFK or 112,500 miles on SIN-NRT-JFK, right?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by bgriff
Understood that it is more miles, but if it's the difference of being able to get a ticket on the desired date or not, I'm willing to shell out. I'm looking at F/R and by my calculations for a one-way SIN-JFK it would either be 93,500 miles on SIN-FRA-JFK or 112,500 miles on SIN-NRT-JFK, right?
That is correct.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Have a question with regards to routing as well. Are the below 2 route consider valid? Or I will have to redeem it as a couple of one way trip?

Sin-nrt-bkk-sin

Sin-nrt-hkg-sin
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
How are taxes & fees calculated on *A bookings? I've called a few times with sample routings (US-Europe-Asia) in F and it seems like they add each segment individually, not as if it's on a single ticket. Perhaps when the flight is ticketed, it would be reduced...but I've never wanted to try because I was scared off by the possibility of $1000-plus taxes and fees.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 4:34 pm

Rep just told me I cannot connect in the US for more than 4 hours even on an international itinerary.

Thus, SIN-FRA-JFK-LAX, where the domestic segment is 6 hours from the one before it.

Gospel truth?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by thexfactor
Rep just told me I cannot connect in the US for more than 4 hours even on an international itinerary.

Thus, SIN-FRA-JFK-LAX, where the domestic segment is 6 hours from the one before it.

Gospel truth?

So did the agent want to charge 100 USD stopover fee since it is over 4 hours (and he/she deems it is not a transit)?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If they make up rules like that then please publish them. In what world is 4hrs vs. 6hrs connection time a significant difference? Heck without anything published I would argue even 23hrs:59mins is still a transfer and not a stopover. If KF (for *A awards) make up their own rules then publish them for god's sake.

The quality and knowledge of the contact center agents when it comes to bookings like this is already all over the board, so introducing such opaque rules that are not known to the customers makes it even worse. I certainly won't take an agents word that they know what they are doing as numerous past experiences have proven that even a simple mixed cabin redemption on SQ metal only can be miscalculated and messed up if you don't watch out. I would HUACA.

Of course in your specific case I'm assuming SIN-NRT-LAX on SQ is not available as that would be much more convenient (and cheaper miles wise) if LAX is your ultimate destination. Not like 6hrs lends itself for a leisurely hop into NYC and come back to the airport later.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by ZenWorld
So did the agent want to charge 100 USD stopover fee since it is over 4 hours (and he/she deems it is not a transit)?
Agent didn't even offer that. Just said it had to be two awards, as "a stopover is not allowed on a one-way."

Originally Posted by demue
If they make up rules like that then please publish them. In what world is 4hrs vs. 6hrs connection time a significant difference? Heck without anything published I would argue even 23hrs:59mins is still a transfer and not a stopover. If KF (for *A awards) make up their own rules then publish them for god's sake.

The quality and knowledge of the contact center agents when it comes to bookings like this is already all over the board, so introducing such opaque rules that are not known to the customers makes it even worse. I certainly won't take an agents word that they know what they are doing as numerous past experiences have proven that even a simple mixed cabin redemption on SQ metal only can be miscalculated and messed up if you don't watch out. I would HUACA.

Of course in your specific case I'm assuming SIN-NRT-LAX on SQ is not available as that would be much more convenient (and cheaper miles wise) if LAX is your ultimate destination. Not like 6hrs lends itself for a leisurely hop into NYC and come back to the airport later.
Well, my specific case is actually AMM-FRA-BOS-NYC and was told I cannot have the last leg on this award as it is "more than 4 hours, and as such is a stopover, which is not allowed on a one-way star alliance award."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.