Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Krisflyer Star Alliance Awards Routing Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Krisflyer Star Alliance Awards Routing Rules

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by thexfactor
Agent didn't even offer that. Just said it had to be two awards, as "a stopover is not allowed on a one-way."

Well, my specific case is actually AMM-FRA-BOS-NYC and was told I cannot have the last leg on this award as it is "more than 4 hours, and as such is a stopover, which is not allowed on a one-way star alliance award."

Obviously a disinterested agent you spoke to. I have had my own frustrations with SQ call centres before, so you are not alone.

I think there is another thread with well documented one-way stopover by paying 100 USD, though I personally have not found an opportunity to use it.

Please try again with another agent, and let us know the 4-hr rule on domestic transfer, for international itinerary. (The last time I booked it, it was a round trip and I paid for stopover for the EWR-SFO sector as they are over 24-hrs, so unfortunately, I have no past examples that are helpful.)
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by demue
If they make up rules like that then please publish them. In what world is 4hrs vs. 6hrs connection time a significant difference? Heck without anything published I would argue even 23hrs:59mins is still a transfer and not a stopover. If KF (for *A awards) make up their own rules then publish them for god's sake.

The quality and knowledge of the contact center agents when it comes to bookings like this is already all over the board, so introducing such opaque rules that are not known to the customers makes it even worse. I certainly won't take an agents word that they know what they are doing as numerous past experiences have proven that even a simple mixed cabin redemption on SQ metal only can be miscalculated and messed up if you don't watch out. I would HUACA.

Of course in your specific case I'm assuming SIN-NRT-LAX on SQ is not available as that would be much more convenient (and cheaper miles wise) if LAX is your ultimate destination. Not like 6hrs lends itself for a leisurely hop into NYC and come back to the airport later.
Guess within USA, the rule for transit is <4hr.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:23 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Looking at SYD-xxx-YYZ in C ;

The likely route would be SYD-YVR-YYZ with AC

However would it be possible to do

SYD-HND NH and HND-YYZ AC ?

97,500 points one way.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:52 pm

Intra North America?

Will this work for intra-North America routes with Krisflyer?

SEA-YVR-YYZ-MCO?

This is quite appealing since there are J spaces in the YVR-YYZ-MCO leg, albeit the YYZ-MCO is with AC Rouge. But YVR-YYZ can be flown in either 77W or 787 long haul config.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by r0m8470
Will this work for intra-North America routes with Krisflyer?

SEA-YVR-YYZ-MCO?

This is quite appealing since there are J spaces in the YVR-YYZ-MCO leg, albeit the YYZ-MCO is with AC Rouge. But YVR-YYZ can be flown in either 77W or 787 long haul config.
Appears to violate laws of cabotage and, if so, would not be bookable.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by shevboyz
Have a question with regards to routing as well. Are the below 2 route consider valid? Or I will have to redeem it as a couple of one way trip?

Sin-nrt-bkk-sin

Sin-nrt-hkg-sin

I am confused. You origination and ending are the same city - SIN. You can not fly from SIN-SIN - sorry... I am confused.

do you mean sin-nrt and then bkk-sin? That is an open jaw and often is the same as two one ways. Assume you are getting from NRT-BKK via some other means?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by thexfactor
Appears to violate laws of cabotage and, if so, would not be bookable.
Ah ... I forgot about that ... you're right. I think we can do YVR-YYZ-MCO still. Maybe we'll take Amtrak to Vancouver first .. or Bolt Bus.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I am confused. You origination and ending are the same city - SIN. You can not fly from SIN-SIN - sorry... I am confused.

do you mean sin-nrt and then bkk-sin? That is an open jaw and often is the same as two one ways. Assume you are getting from NRT-BKK via some other means?
there are many combinations if direct flights are not required, if it is SIN-NRT outbound and NRT-BKK-SIN inbound.

sample of oubound outbound options
-NH,SQ direct
-SQ/BR/NH (via TPE)
-OZ/SQ/NH (via ICN)
-SQ/TG/NH (via BKK)
-SQ/CA/NH (via PEK/PVG)
-SQ/TG/OZ/AI/UA/NH (via HKG/TPE/KIX) etc.

there is even a route via okinawa!
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Ah ... I forgot about that ... you're right. I think we can do YVR-YYZ-MCO still. Maybe we'll take Amtrak to Vancouver first .. or Bolt Bus.
unless you add a stop-over of more than 24 hours in YVR or YYZ to avoid the issue..
Old Jan 1, 2016, 1:26 pm

Hi, Does anyone know if this would be a valid round trip from North America to Europe on Krisflyer?

SJC-FRA-ZUR (destination)
ZUR-EWR-BUR (stopover)
BUR-EWR-SFO (can SJC and SFO be considered as co-terminals here)?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:41 pm

Does KrisFlyer charge YQ on AC domestic/NA flights?

Cheers
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:05 pm

Routing rules for SIN- New York Star Alliance redemption (with YYZ and YVR stopovers)?

Does Krisflyer permit outbound both eastwards (e.g., with Asiana to JFK) and westwards (e.g., with SQ or LH)? It’s pretty much the same distance from Singapore but I might have a preference regarding flight times/ airlines. Also, are there significant differences in taxes that I should consider?

Also, what is the chance that the FRA-JFK segment on SQ clears in J? Currently only waitlist even 1 year ahead (SIN-FRA no problem on SQ). If it doesn’t clear, is LH usually available on FRA-JFK? United.com doesn’t show any availability. Does LX ever clear in J (as I would prefer LX over LHR and SIN-ZRH seems no problem on SQ)?

Assuming outbound westwards is ok, would this be a valid redemption routing?

HKG-SIN on SQ (could take this segment out as I guess it's not allowed)
Stopover
SIN-FRA on SQ
Transfer
FRA-JFK on SQ or LH
Stopover
LGA or EWR-YYZ on AC
Stopover
YYZ-YVR on AC
Stopover
YVR-SIN on AC or BR or OZ

This should price out at 195,000 Miles + 200 USD for the two additional stopovers in YYZ and YVR, correct? Plus taxes/ YQ of course.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:18 am

Bump. I would be very grateful for any input.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:19 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
Routing rules for SIN- New York Star Alliance redemption (with YYZ and YVR stopovers)?

Does Krisflyer permit outbound both eastwards (e.g., with Asiana to JFK) and westwards (e.g., with SQ or LH)? It’s pretty much the same distance from Singapore but I might have a preference regarding flight times/ airlines. Also, are there significant differences in taxes that I should consider?

Also, what is the chance that the FRA-JFK segment on SQ clears in J? Currently only waitlist even 1 year ahead (SIN-FRA no problem on SQ). If it doesn’t clear, is LH usually available on FRA-JFK? United.com doesn’t show any availability. Does LX ever clear in J (as I would prefer LX over LHR and SIN-ZRH seems no problem on SQ)?

Stopover
SIN-FRA on SQ
Transfer
FRA-JFK on SQ or LH
Stopover
LGA or EWR-YYZ on AC
Stopover
YYZ-YVR on AC
Stopover

This should price out at 195,000 Miles + 200 USD for the two additional stopovers in YYZ and YVR, correct? Plus taxes/ YQ of course.

Thanks in advance!
This is effectively a RTW ticket, and then some, so you may have trouble booking it for that reason. (Some airlines like AC would happily let you book something like this anyway, at least if it only had 2 stopovers per AC's rules, but with the number of stopovers you're considering you might raise some red flags.) You'd have to pay a bit extra in stopover fees but it might be worth booking as two separate one-ways to avoid that issue.

Having separate one-ways would also make it easier to isolate the likely need to waitlist for the SIN-JFK part. But not sure if it is possible to waitlist for an itinerary including a stopover. There have been some reports of adding an HKG-SIN to an existing SIN-JFK, or adding it to a waitlist booking once the waitlist clears, but also some reports of trouble doing that.

LH and LX usually make some J awards available, LH probably somewhat more likely simply because they have more seats in total, but of course no guarantee they will for your dates. Note that both have some flights to EWR in addition to JFK so keep an eye on both airports to maximize your options.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by GwailoSIN

Stopover
SIN-FRA on SQ
Transfer
FRA-JFK on SQ or LH
Stopover
LGA or EWR-YYZ on AC
Stopover
YYZ-YVR on AC
Stopover

Thanks in advance!
OK my 2 cents... You'll need to do a Star Alliance redemption with an open jaw origin (yes that's allowed; it's in the Krisflyer Programme Guide).

Your final destination should be YVR (it's not a stopover).

Outbound HKG to YVR via SIN, FRA, JFK and YYZ (SIN, JFK and YYZ as stopovers).

Inbound YVR to SIN via (you need to check this return routing).

You should be entitled to 2 stopovers on a round trip redemption. So you'll pay for only 1 additional stopover.

I have not checked whether your routing in US is backtracking but assuming it's not this should be doable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.