Wiki Posts
Search

Cost cutting measures in SQ product

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier

Having flown almost exclusively SQ for the past four years (mostly Y; sometimes J), I've noticed the product has been degraded by a fair bit over time.

On Y class:
- hand towels in loo have all been changed to soft tissues (maybe to prevent choked toilets?)
- no more jam, only butter to go with bun
- no more playing cards
- assorted nuts changed in Aug 2013 to a tasteless brand

On J class:
- no more Brazilian santos coffee (I think they've switched to Illy's)

Service seems to have been quite consistent, although it seems more common to encounter cabin crew who have a nonchalant attitude.

What others have you noticed?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:59 pm

First world problems

Cheese has disappeared from the Y menu on short-hauls to India.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

The magnum ice cream bar disappeared this summer on my SFO-SIN via ICN in Y. Same with the large ice cream sandwiches.

Last year it disappeared into my belly. This year it went into thin air.

Indian mixture packets gone on SIN-India and vv, now just nuts or something bland.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:31 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The magnum ice cream bar disappeared this summer on my SFO-SIN via ICN in Y...
I had the Magnum on my last flight to Europe ... no Magnum would be a pretty terrible 'enhancement' and entirely unforgivable.

When I am trashed, I even ask the crew to wake me up for the Magnum and they seem to be used to that request ...
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I'm still wondering why they're doing the opposite of cost-cutting in terms of "hardware" by upgrading their newest J product, which some of us still regards as the best J seat in the world, into an even newer product just so the seat can turn into a bed Transformer-like style (though you still have to get up anyway to have the "bed" prepared).
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The magnum ice cream bar disappeared this summer on my SFO-SIN via ICN in Y. Same with the large ice cream sandwiches.

Last year it disappeared into my belly. This year it went into thin air.

Indian mixture packets gone on SIN-India and vv, now just nuts or something bland.
The icecream brands are changed regulary, but the Magnum is still available from time to time.

The indian mixture packets are also still there, just the packaging has a new design.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by aster
I'm still wondering why they're doing the opposite of cost-cutting in terms of "hardware" by upgrading their newest J product, which some of us still regards as the best J seat in the world..
Doesn't apply to all seats in the cabin as not all have free aisle access. But I slept a lot better on the new OS and LX seat configs than on the SQ product.

The fact that you can adjust the softness of the air cushion, can recline it continuously, and have more legroom than on SQ make it a tad superior product IMO. And while the IFE has a lot less choices than on SQ, the image quality is a lot better.

So instead of just replacing the 8 year old seats, SQ probably feels it is wiser to mildly upgrade them.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by SQ325
The icecream brands are changed regulary, but the Magnum is still available from time to time.

The indian mixture packets are also still there, just the packaging has a new design.
Yep I was recently on a flight with the Magnum, so they're still there, though Häagen-Dazs or some cone (don't remember the brand) if flying from China seem to be more common.

I can swear the nut mix is now supplied by a different manufacturer. It's not just a packaging change. The taste and texture are very different from the earlier one.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by weero
Doesn't apply to all seats in the cabin as not all have free aisle access.
Oh, I thought that the change was from the 1-2-1 setup to the exact same, or are they changing other cabin configurations?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by aster
Oh, I thought that the change was from the 1-2-1 setup to the exact same, or are they changing other cabin configurations?
Of course. I meant that it doesn't apply to all seats on OS and LX. Their layout is 1-2-1 alternating with 2-2-2.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SQ325
First world problems

Cheese has disappeared from the Y menu on short-hauls to India.
Many Indians are lactose intolerant you know, they opt for paneer.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Many Indians are lactose intolerant you know, they opt for paneer.
I was refering to the International Choice available on Indian Bound flights.

By the way, hard cheese like the Cheddar is considered to be almost lactose-free. In contrast the joghurt served with the standard Indian Meals isnt lactose-free.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by roverkt
I can swear the nut mix is now supplied by a different manufacturer. It's not just a packaging change. The taste and texture are very different from the earlier one.
To me there is no difference between the two.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
On Y class:
- hand towels in loo have all been changed to soft tissues (maybe to prevent choked toilets?)
- no more jam, only butter to go with bun
- no more playing cards
- assorted nuts changed in Aug 2013 to a tasteless brand

On J class:
- no more Brazilian santos coffee (I think they've switched to Illy's)
Why do you complain? According to SQ public relations department those enhancements were enacted due to customer wishes. In the end it gives customers more choice.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
Why do you complain? According to SQ public relations department those enhancements were enacted due to customer wishes.
I am sure that oodles of raging customers write in for further service cuts! It's what they crave....
In the end it gives customers more choice.
Ehm how? By flying another airline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.