Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SilverChris
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) through-check baggage policy on separate tickets

Official policy: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...question-60958
Note that the requirement of having a single itinerary to transit through SIN is out of date

SQ - SQ
Yes, provided your connection is legal.

SQ - Other airlines
Yes, in most cases. As long as there's an interline agreement with the subsequent carrier(s), and your connection time is legal, SQ should check it through. There may be exceptions, such as where the connecting point cannot accept through-checked bags.

Scoot (TR) - SQ
No, Scoot will not tag your bag to an SQ flight if it's on a separate ticket.

Other airlines - SQ
Check with the airline that will be accepting your bag.

FAQ
How do I ask to be through-checked from SQ to another airline?

At the check-in desk, tell the agent you have an onward flight, and show a printout/screenshot of your e-ticket for the onward flight(s).

Will I receive my boarding pass(es) for the subsequent flight(s)?
Most likely. SQ has the capability of printing boarding passes for your subsequent flights, even on other airlines, but this doesn't always work.

Is SQ obligated to check me in across separate tickets?
No, especially if it's to another airline. It is, however, a courtesy offered by SQ at their discretion and is not guaranteed. There may be instances of inexperienced/unhelpful check-in staff, or unforeseen exceptions. You should always have a contingency plan in case you're refused. In other words, always meet the entry requirements for the destination on your first ticket, and leave sufficient time to clear arrival formalities and re-check your bag.

My bag was tagged by SQ to another airline, and now it's mishandled (delayed/lost/damaged). Which airline is responsible?
The final delivering carrier is always responsible, even if they're not at fault. This is true even if you're on separate tickets. You must file a report with the final carrier listed on your baggage claim stub.

I was through-checked by SQ, but missed my connection. Will SQ rebook my onward travel?
If it's SQ-SQ, they're usually proactive at rebooking you even on separate tickets. If it's to another carrier, you're at the mercy of that airline and your fare rules. This is the inherent risk of travelling on separate tickets, so plan accordingly.

My tickets have different baggage allowances and/or I hold status with the subsequent airline. Which allowance will SQ honour?
Anecdotal reports suggest SQ will usually honour the higher allowance, if your onward flight is on SQ. If your onward flight is on a different airline, expect SQ to honour the allowance of your flight with them, along with any extra allowance your applicable status would get you on SQ (i.e. PPS/KFEG/*A/VS/VA Gold etc). Should you hold status that gets you extra allowance on the subsequent airline, but not SQ (e.g. oneworld Emerald, AC E35K, etc), don't expect SQ to honour it.
For example:
Ticket 1: SQ SIN-LHR Y, no status = 30kg
Ticket 2: AA LHR-ORD Y, OW Emerald = 3*23kg
Expect SQ to honour Ticket 1's baggage allowance
Print Wikipost

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Looking to book BKI -> SIN on scoot and SIN -> DPS on an SQ award ticket. Would I be able to interline my bags at BKI to avoid picking them up in SIN? I have a 1h30m connection time.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K
Was able to interline SQ (SIN-HKG) to AA (HKG-LAX) on separate PNRs without any problems or delays last week. Also interestingly, SQ was able to print my HKG-LAX boarding pass as well, which was very convenient.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:03 am

Data point from back in Feb:

Flew DEL-SIN-LAX on SQ and then LAX-YVR on AC, separate tickets. Agent in DEL was unwilling to interline them despite asking + I tried to be persistent but was not successful (I'm aware I have to collect bags in LAX anyways but just wanted to save the hassle of having to check them in again).
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:43 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by w000t
Data point from back in Feb:

Flew DEL-SIN-LAX on SQ and then LAX-YVR on AC, separate tickets. Agent in DEL was unwilling to interline them despite asking + I tried to be persistent but was not successful (I'm aware I have to collect bags in LAX anyways but just wanted to save the hassle of having to check them in again).
Does SQ use contract ground staff at DEL?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Does SQ use contract ground staff at DEL?
i'm guessing that's probably the case. the agent would not budge despite furiously typing and "checking" so I didn't bother to push further
Old Mar 12, 2022, 1:38 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Could any one help with this query please ?
Booked SQ FRA KUL in C
Will Lufthansa at Heathrow check through my bags if I book a separate LHR FRA
Tx
Old Mar 12, 2022, 2:44 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Could any one help with this query please ?
Booked SQ FRA KUL in C
Will Lufthansa at Heathrow check through my bags if I book a separate LHR FRA
Tx
This really doesn't have anything to do with SQ, you should ask this question in the Miles & More forum. Through checking (or not) is determined by the policies of the first carrier.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: KF
In my experience, it depends on the departing station. All ex-Singapore are 100% guaranteed, even a diff class on a connecting separate ticket on another carrier. Manila station is another data point interlining my luggage on a separate tickets to UA, TK, TG.. Data point, SQ tickets departing DEL, the agent doesn't care, EWR a simple, "sorry ,no.".. DME doesn't even listen to what I'm saying. Separate tickets on Star Alliance carrier to SQ? Virgin Australia departing NAN, simply said ," my system cannot see your SQ ticket",.. ok, fine... So by theory, its pure luck if your interlining from separate Star Alliance ticket to SQ, guaranteed departing SIN on SQ tickets to Star Alliance, and few stations like Manila.

Last edited by wanderer9020; Mar 12, 2022 at 12:45 pm
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: --
Hello guys,
I have seen in the sticky post that SQ has a interline agreement with PG (Bangkok Airways) and this is very good news for me. I am Traveling to Phnom Penh from MUC to BKK via SQ and Bangkok to Phnom Penh via Bangkok Airways. I always thought it is possible to check through the baggage even if you have separate flights. However I read on the Bangkok Airways homepage that they do not have baggage check through when 2 separate tickets are issued. Right now I have to go through customs and into quarantine if I leave the transit area. Please if you have any info on this, it would help me so much.
Perhaps Bangkok Airways does not check through for subsequent flights but I am not sure.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by dopingpanda
Hello guys,
I have seen in the sticky post that SQ has a interline agreement with PG (Bangkok Airways) and this is very good news for me. I am Traveling to Phnom Penh from MUC to BKK via SQ and Bangkok to Phnom Penh via Bangkok Airways. I always thought it is possible to check through the baggage even if you have separate flights. However I read on the Bangkok Airways homepage that they do not have baggage check through when 2 separate tickets are issued. Right now I have to go through customs and into quarantine if I leave the transit area. Please if you have any info on this, it would help me so much.
Perhaps Bangkok Airways does not check through for subsequent flights but I am not sure.
If you're flying MUC-SIN-BKK on SQ (one ticket) to connect to BKK-PNH on PG (another ticket) then it's a question of whether SQ (not PG) will check you through to PNH at MUC. Unfortunately PG isn't a partner airline for SQ.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:34 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Unfortunately PG isn't a partner airline for SQ.
PG is listed in ExpertFlyer as an airline SQ "May check baggage to", so if SQ still allow through checking of baggage to other carriers, as they have in the past, then anyone they have agreements with would be OK to through check to. They haven't in the past needed to be partners of Krisflyer. I'd be very confident that they would through check the luggage to PG, if checking in at SIN. Not so sure from MUC, as have no experience with that port.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:12 pm

Programs: KF
Originally Posted by lokijuh
I'd be very confident that they would through check the luggage to PG, if checking in at SIN. Not so sure from MUC, as have no experience with that port.
100%. Guaranteed when departing SIN but from stations outside SIN, its a hit or miss. Data point :ex MNL happily obliged.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
BKK-SIN on SQ in C on one ticket.

SIN-ZRH on SQ in F on another ticket, which is actually a Swiss Air code share flight number on the flight operated by SQ.

Would like to check a bag through in BKK. Likelihood of success?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
No problem at all.

Checked the bag through, gave me the boarding passes on both records, and only checked the Covid transit restrictions at Changi (proof of vaccination).

Painless.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Anyone have any experience interlining with Air Dolomiti (EN)? I'm doing JFK-FRA (J), FRA-VRN (Y). Separate Tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.