Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SilverChris
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) through-check baggage policy on separate tickets

Official policy: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...question-60958
Note that the requirement of having a single itinerary to transit through SIN is out of date

SQ - SQ
Yes, provided your connection is legal.

SQ - Other airlines
Yes, in most cases. As long as there's an interline agreement with the subsequent carrier(s), and your connection time is legal, SQ should check it through. There may be exceptions, such as where the connecting point cannot accept through-checked bags.

Scoot (TR) - SQ
No, Scoot will not tag your bag to an SQ flight if it's on a separate ticket.

Other airlines - SQ
Check with the airline that will be accepting your bag.

FAQ
How do I ask to be through-checked from SQ to another airline?

At the check-in desk, tell the agent you have an onward flight, and show a printout/screenshot of your e-ticket for the onward flight(s).

Will I receive my boarding pass(es) for the subsequent flight(s)?
Most likely. SQ has the capability of printing boarding passes for your subsequent flights, even on other airlines, but this doesn't always work.

Is SQ obligated to check me in across separate tickets?
No, especially if it's to another airline. It is, however, a courtesy offered by SQ at their discretion and is not guaranteed. There may be instances of inexperienced/unhelpful check-in staff, or unforeseen exceptions. You should always have a contingency plan in case you're refused. In other words, always meet the entry requirements for the destination on your first ticket, and leave sufficient time to clear arrival formalities and re-check your bag.

My bag was tagged by SQ to another airline, and now it's mishandled (delayed/lost/damaged). Which airline is responsible?
The final delivering carrier is always responsible, even if they're not at fault. This is true even if you're on separate tickets. You must file a report with the final carrier listed on your baggage claim stub.

I was through-checked by SQ, but missed my connection. Will SQ rebook my onward travel?
If it's SQ-SQ, they're usually proactive at rebooking you even on separate tickets. If it's to another carrier, you're at the mercy of that airline and your fare rules. This is the inherent risk of travelling on separate tickets, so plan accordingly.

My tickets have different baggage allowances and/or I hold status with the subsequent airline. Which allowance will SQ honour?
Anecdotal reports suggest SQ will usually honour the higher allowance, if your onward flight is on SQ. If your onward flight is on a different airline, expect SQ to honour the allowance of your flight with them, along with any extra allowance your applicable status would get you on SQ (i.e. PPS/KFEG/*A/VS/VA Gold etc). Should you hold status that gets you extra allowance on the subsequent airline, but not SQ (e.g. oneworld Emerald, AC E35K, etc), don't expect SQ to honour it.
For example:
Ticket 1: SQ SIN-LHR Y, no status = 30kg
Ticket 2: AA LHR-ORD Y, OW Emerald = 3*23kg
Expect SQ to honour Ticket 1's baggage allowance
Print Wikipost

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by greenwood
It was only after I had gone through security and immigration that I realized she had upgraded my SQ segment to J as well!
Well, this is only going to get my dumb hopes up for an upcoming trip. But I will definitely have it in mind at the check-in.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:59 am

Just to add another data point. A few days ago I was flying SQ SIN-BKK then on a seperate ticket QR BKK-DOH-KWI

At checkin in Singapore I asked if they can tag my bags all the way through on QR, the agent said sure, they just need to see my onwards ticket. I pulled it up on my phone and within a minute I was checked in and they had me confirm the luggage tag was ok. I was only given the SQ boarding pass and asked to head to the transfer counters in BKK for the remaining tags.

At BKK transfer counters are after security so ensure you can pull up your itinerary to show it to the security staff at the entrance to screening. Once thats done its a quick process at the transfer desks to get the bording pass, and also they want to see the luggage tag reciept to link it to your booking. I was skeptical about my bags making it, but at boarding gate it was confirmed one piece was yet to be loaded and it is on its way.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:36 am

Just want to check if this is still valid. Travelling on separate tickets next month. SIN-CGK Y SQ then CGK-DOH-BOS J QR. Would the airport or SQ staff check my luggage through? Anyone has any experience with that? Have a good 5 hours transit at CGK if it matters.

Thanks in advance too!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
I've had no problems interlining baggage from SQ to another *A flight on a different reservation. Tried it with success at different airports.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX MPC SL, HHonors Diamond
Managed to do so in the following

SQ 8 SIN-LAX
DL 2632 LAX-MCI
at T3 FCL check in
Agent issued boarding pass and luggage tags all the way through to MCI on separate tickets
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tdlim
Managed to do so in the following
SQ 8 SIN-LAX
DL 2632 LAX-MCI
at T3 FCL check in
Agent issued boarding pass and luggage tags all the way through to MCI on separate tickets
But at LAX you will need to clear immigration & customs with all your checked & carry on luggage. Then to DL bag drop.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:53 pm

Interested in thoughts of interlining SQ -> AC on separate ticket with a 9h layover at PEK. Yes? No? YMMV?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:24 am

Looking at options to see if can interline SQ from Singapore to Frankfurt to Lufthansa for a flight to UK an hour after arrival in Frankfurt on separate tickets. Back up plan in place if miss the flight but possible to get baggage in Changi tagged all the way to avoid whole immigration - check in process?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Anyone tried checking through to Qantas on a separate ticket lately?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Not recently, but as long as they haven't changed their policy recently, regards separate tickets, I don't think it would make a difference whether they are through checking to QF, or QR or CI or KL or...... for that matter. Just as long as it's not QF, operated by 3K
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond, BW Diamond, Radisson Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Interested in thoughts of interlining SQ -> AC on separate ticket with a 9h layover at PEK. Yes? No? YMMV?
I am going to be in the same situation with SQ -> AC with a 12 hour layover in HKG.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Just to confirm; if I book SQ roundtrip HND-SIN and then book separately SIN-USM on Bangkok Airways, any problem interlining the bags all the way from Tokyo to Ko Samui? Are there any minimum connection times or other factors I need to think about?

Best,
Tyler
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Just to confirm; if I book SQ roundtrip HND-SIN and then book separately SIN-USM on Bangkok Airways, any problem interlining the bags all the way from Tokyo to Ko Samui? Are there any minimum connection times or other factors I need to think about?

Best,
Tyler
You will get your interline. It is unlikely that you will misconnect. The only thing to bear in mind is that it's kinda expensive to misconnect and have to buy a new ticket to USM.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543

Best,
Tyler
yes. SQ will interlink. As the PG flight is also codeshares By MI.

There is only 2 PG flight to USM. Seem to be able connect from all the HND-SIN SQ flights.
Maybe you wan to check the price for HND-USM as well.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Maybe you wan to check the price for HND-USM as well.
Thanks both. Would have preferred to book all as one ticket but didn't work out as we're looking to go HND-SIN-USM in one shot, stay USM for a week, then do USM-SIN and stay for a few days before heading back SIN-HND. Couldn't get it to price out in a reasonable way on either OTA or SQ.com.

Picked up the HND-SIN R/T in PE for next year first week in May for $900USD a person, which thought was a pretty good price. Prepared for the separate SIN-USM R/T in Y to run us $300-400USD a person.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.