Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SilverChris
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) through-check baggage policy on separate tickets

Official policy: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...question-60958
Note that the requirement of having a single itinerary to transit through SIN is out of date

SQ - SQ
Yes, provided your connection is legal.

SQ - Other airlines
Yes, in most cases. As long as there's an interline agreement with the subsequent carrier(s), and your connection time is legal, SQ should check it through. There may be exceptions, such as where the connecting point cannot accept through-checked bags.

Scoot (TR) - SQ
No, Scoot will not tag your bag to an SQ flight if it's on a separate ticket.

Other airlines - SQ
Check with the airline that will be accepting your bag.

FAQ
How do I ask to be through-checked from SQ to another airline?

At the check-in desk, tell the agent you have an onward flight, and show a printout/screenshot of your e-ticket for the onward flight(s).

Will I receive my boarding pass(es) for the subsequent flight(s)?
Most likely. SQ has the capability of printing boarding passes for your subsequent flights, even on other airlines, but this doesn't always work.

Is SQ obligated to check me in across separate tickets?
No, especially if it's to another airline. It is, however, a courtesy offered by SQ at their discretion and is not guaranteed. There may be instances of inexperienced/unhelpful check-in staff, or unforeseen exceptions. You should always have a contingency plan in case you're refused. In other words, always meet the entry requirements for the destination on your first ticket, and leave sufficient time to clear arrival formalities and re-check your bag.

My bag was tagged by SQ to another airline, and now it's mishandled (delayed/lost/damaged). Which airline is responsible?
The final delivering carrier is always responsible, even if they're not at fault. This is true even if you're on separate tickets. You must file a report with the final carrier listed on your baggage claim stub.

I was through-checked by SQ, but missed my connection. Will SQ rebook my onward travel?
If it's SQ-SQ, they're usually proactive at rebooking you even on separate tickets. If it's to another carrier, you're at the mercy of that airline and your fare rules. This is the inherent risk of travelling on separate tickets, so plan accordingly.

My tickets have different baggage allowances and/or I hold status with the subsequent airline. Which allowance will SQ honour?
Anecdotal reports suggest SQ will usually honour the higher allowance, if your onward flight is on SQ. If your onward flight is on a different airline, expect SQ to honour the allowance of your flight with them, along with any extra allowance your applicable status would get you on SQ (i.e. PPS/KFEG/*A/VS/VA Gold etc). Should you hold status that gets you extra allowance on the subsequent airline, but not SQ (e.g. oneworld Emerald, AC E35K, etc), don't expect SQ to honour it.
For example:
Ticket 1: SQ SIN-LHR Y, no status = 30kg
Ticket 2: AA LHR-ORD Y, OW Emerald = 3*23kg
Expect SQ to honour Ticket 1's baggage allowance
Print Wikipost

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: SQ*G, BA, DL
Hi all, does anyone have access to the updated KVS list of interline agreements (for bag check throughs) that SQ has?

I am a little confused as lately I found a little discrepancy between what SQ and airport say.. Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:47 pm

SQ to BA interline for 95 min connection at Dusseldorf

hi all,
Been scouring the web this morning for CURRENT advice on baggage interline as I get the feeling things have changed since 1st Sept 16.
We have award tickets on SQ from SYD to DFS to DUS and plan to connect onto a BA flight for LHR.
1) will SQ staff at check-in be able to interline our bags through to Heathrow on the BA flight which is a separate booking plan to make. 95 min connection time
2) if not, how long typically does it take at DUS to deplane, go land-side collect bags, recheckin and get back to the gate??
Thanks in advance :-)
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
SQ will interline if its a legal connection to BA. But BA will NOT interline with SQ if its on a separate ticket. There is nothing 'official'. But you're 99% able to do it. However you might get the one odd agent that won't do it.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by SAllen
Hi all, does anyone have access to the updated KVS list of interline agreements (for bag check throughs) that SQ has?

I am a little confused as lately I found a little discrepancy between what SQ and airport say.. Thanks
What did the airport say?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, BA Gold, DL SM
I used the advice on this thread to good effect so thought I'd share my experience. I was booked on two separate tickets, premium economy on SQ from Melbourne to Singapore, and then QR connecting to Europe through Doha, in J. I checked in with SQ at the business class line using my *G card. The agent said interlining should be no problem, looked at my QR ticket and asked if I was booked in J all the way on QR. When I asked if it would make a difference if I wasn't, she said yes, indicating that separate classes might mess up QR's system. I was a bit puzzled why the class I was flying on QR would be relevant but didn't say more. It was only after I had gone through security and immigration that I realized she had upgraded my SQ segment to J as well!

So not only will SQ interline, at least at some airports, but it seems it's possible to get an upgrade out of it as well...presumably at the generous discretion of the check-in personnel.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
This thread is over a year old now so just bumping to see if the policy is still the same? I will be getting into LHR on SQ First and need SQ to tag my luggage onto my domestic UK flight leaving 2hrs later. Different PNR's so will that be a issue?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: AY Plat, Marriott Plat
Looking to book 2 separate tickets with a ~3h transit time. SIN-KUL on SQ connecting to KUL-ORD on JL. SQ ticket will be in economy and JL ticket will be premium economy.

Anyone knows if SQ will be able to interline baggage from SIN all the way to ORD when the onward connection is on a different class? Also wondering if there are issues connecting to a USA bound flight given the additional security measures that came into effect late last year. Not sure if the additional security measures involving electronic devices, tighter screening etc are supposed to be done at the first port of departure or my final stopover point at NRT with the direct flight to ORD.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by onlysuites
This thread is over a year old now so just bumping to see if the policy is still the same? I will be getting into LHR on SQ First and need SQ to tag my luggage onto my domestic UK flight leaving 2hrs later. Different PNR's so will that be a issue?
Anyone know the answer to this too?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by onlysuites
They may do it, but they are not obliged to do so. At 2 hours your connection is rather tight for a separate PNRs and that might play role in their decision...
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by mechu
Looking to book 2 separate tickets with a ~3h transit time. SIN-KUL on SQ connecting to KUL-ORD on JL. SQ ticket will be in economy and JL ticket will be premium economy.

Anyone knows if SQ will be able to interline baggage from SIN all the way to ORD when the onward connection is on a different class? Also wondering if there are issues connecting to a USA bound flight given the additional security measures that came into effect late last year. Not sure if the additional security measures involving electronic devices, tighter screening etc are supposed to be done at the first port of departure or my final stopover point at NRT with the direct flight to ORD.
Anyone with experience with a similar itinerary and knows if this is workable?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by greenwood
I used the advice on this thread to good effect so thought I'd share my experience. I was booked on two separate tickets, premium economy on SQ from Melbourne to Singapore, and then QR connecting to Europe through Doha, in J. I checked in with SQ at the business class line using my *G card. The agent said interlining should be no problem, looked at my QR ticket and asked if I was booked in J all the way on QR. When I asked if it would make a difference if I wasn't, she said yes, indicating that separate classes might mess up QR's system. I was a bit puzzled why the class I was flying on QR would be relevant but didn't say more. It was only after I had gone through security and immigration that I realized she had upgraded my SQ segment to J as well!
So not only will SQ interline, at least at some airports, but it seems it's possible to get an upgrade out of it as well...presumably at the generous discretion of the check-in personnel.
That's amazing, & though it is possible, I don't think it happens very often. SQ is (well) known for not over-booking their flights.

Originally Posted by mechu
The previous poster already did - the general consensus is yes it might happen but don't bank on it.
When is your travel date? I'm passing thru' KUL after Easter, but I will be doing the reverse i.e. OW (MH) to Star Alliance (TG)
Will post an update if you'd like but it's not quite the same situation as yours ...

Anyway with 3 hrs transit time in KUL, u shd be fine even if u have to clear immigration & re-check in your bags.
I find that the check in agents at Changi & KLIA to be pretty nice about interlining to other carriers in different alliances.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76
The previous poster already did - the general consensus is yes it might happen but don't bank on it.
When is your travel date? I'm passing thru' KUL after Easter, but I will be doing the reverse i.e. OW (MH) to Star Alliance (TG)
Will post an update if you'd like but it's not quite the same situation as yours ...

Anyway with 3 hrs transit time in KUL, u shd be fine even if u have to clear immigration & re-check in your bags.
I find that the check in agents at Changi & KLIA to be pretty nice about interlining to other carriers in different alliances.
Travelling in mid May. I think the previous poster ended up connecting in the same class.

The couple of concerns I have is whether there will be issues connecting in different classes and also connecting to a USA bound intinerary at KUL.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:29 am

Flying SQ DPS-SIN-NRT-LAX, then connecting 3 hours later to DL flight LAX-MSP in September.

Will I have any trouble interlining one checked bag to the DL flight? Is it harder to pull off outside of SQ's hub?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by kpottermn
Flying SQ DPS-SIN-NRT-LAX, then connecting 3 hours later to DL flight LAX-MSP in September.

Will I have any trouble interlining one checked bag to the DL flight? Is it harder to pull off outside of SQ's hub?
Shouldn’t be too hard, but in any event you will need to collect and re-deposit your checked bag at LAX anyway. Saves a little time but not a lot.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Flying JFK - FRA - SIN (stopover) - SYD in SQ F for our honeymoon this fall. During that SIN stopover we are continuing on to DPS on a separate paid ticket. Trying to figure out interlining policies since we'll have checked baggage.

Option 1: Scoot Airlines SIN - DPS - SIN. Would give us a 4.5 hour layover in SIN on the outbound and about 6 hours on the return but main question is are we going to have to actually enter into SQ rather than check through (not an issue for us in terms of visa just would be a pain). Believe we would be able to access to Private Room on the layover in both directions because of the SQ Suites inbound ticket.

Option 2: KLM SIN - DPS - SIN. Tons of time in SIN on the outbound (so a non-issue) but the return doesn't land at SIN until 11:15pm with our SQ flight to SYD leaving 12:45am. Trying to figure out if KLM will check through to SQ despite separate tickets given the relatively tight layover. Would actually prefer this option because J is quite cheap and I'd happily take the MQDs/MQMs on DL in my quest for Platinum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.