Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SilverChris
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) through-check baggage policy on separate tickets

Official policy: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...question-60958
Note that the requirement of having a single itinerary to transit through SIN is out of date

SQ - SQ
Yes, provided your connection is legal.

SQ - Other airlines
Yes, in most cases. As long as there's an interline agreement with the subsequent carrier(s), and your connection time is legal, SQ should check it through. There may be exceptions, such as where the connecting point cannot accept through-checked bags.

Scoot (TR) - SQ
No, Scoot will not tag your bag to an SQ flight if it's on a separate ticket.

Other airlines - SQ
Check with the airline that will be accepting your bag.

FAQ
How do I ask to be through-checked from SQ to another airline?

At the check-in desk, tell the agent you have an onward flight, and show a printout/screenshot of your e-ticket for the onward flight(s).

Will I receive my boarding pass(es) for the subsequent flight(s)?
Most likely. SQ has the capability of printing boarding passes for your subsequent flights, even on other airlines, but this doesn't always work.

Is SQ obligated to check me in across separate tickets?
No, especially if it's to another airline. It is, however, a courtesy offered by SQ at their discretion and is not guaranteed. There may be instances of inexperienced/unhelpful check-in staff, or unforeseen exceptions. You should always have a contingency plan in case you're refused. In other words, always meet the entry requirements for the destination on your first ticket, and leave sufficient time to clear arrival formalities and re-check your bag.

My bag was tagged by SQ to another airline, and now it's mishandled (delayed/lost/damaged). Which airline is responsible?
The final delivering carrier is always responsible, even if they're not at fault. This is true even if you're on separate tickets. You must file a report with the final carrier listed on your baggage claim stub.

I was through-checked by SQ, but missed my connection. Will SQ rebook my onward travel?
If it's SQ-SQ, they're usually proactive at rebooking you even on separate tickets. If it's to another carrier, you're at the mercy of that airline and your fare rules. This is the inherent risk of travelling on separate tickets, so plan accordingly.

My tickets have different baggage allowances and/or I hold status with the subsequent airline. Which allowance will SQ honour?
Anecdotal reports suggest SQ will usually honour the higher allowance, if your onward flight is on SQ. If your onward flight is on a different airline, expect SQ to honour the allowance of your flight with them, along with any extra allowance your applicable status would get you on SQ (i.e. PPS/KFEG/*A/VS/VA Gold etc). Should you hold status that gets you extra allowance on the subsequent airline, but not SQ (e.g. oneworld Emerald, AC E35K, etc), don't expect SQ to honour it.
For example:
Ticket 1: SQ SIN-LHR Y, no status = 30kg
Ticket 2: AA LHR-ORD Y, OW Emerald = 3*23kg
Expect SQ to honour Ticket 1's baggage allowance
Print Wikipost

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, base with everyone else
Connecting in SIN on two separate tickets

Hi All -
I am planning to fly EWR - CGK. My problem is that the EWR - SIN portion is premium econ and SIN - CGK is regular econ. I have not been able to book cash or miles for these segments as 1 itinerary.
Can anyone confirm I would have to buy 2 separate tix? If I do, how does it work in SIN? Do I go to get my luggage through customs, etc. and then recheck in at departure? Or do I go to the transfer desk? If I do the latter, what about my checked luggage from the EWR - SIN segment?
It canít be this difficult. Any advice is appreciated.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:22 pm

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire/*G, Starlux Explorer, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyHighDude
Hi All -
I am planning to fly EWR - CGK. My problem is that the EWR - SIN portion is premium econ and SIN - CGK is regular econ. I have not been able to book cash or miles for these segments as 1 itinerary.
Can anyone confirm I would have to buy 2 separate tix? If I do, how does it work in SIN? Do I go to get my luggage through customs, etc. and then recheck in at departure? Or do I go to the transfer desk? If I do the latter, what about my checked luggage from the EWR - SIN segment?
It canít be this difficult. Any advice is appreciated.
I think you need to call for a mixed class award, but there is nothing preventing you from buying a mixed class ticket online (see below). However, if you do redeem or purchase two PNRs on SQ, they will certainly through-check your bags and you will not need to go through immigration/customs.

Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, base with everyone else
Originally Posted by bpk6h
I think you need to call for a mixed class award, but there is nothing preventing you from buying a mixed class ticket online (see below). However, if you do redeem or purchase two PNRs on SQ, they will certainly through-check your bags and you will not need to go through immigration/customs.

This is exactly what I wanted to confirm. Thank you so much.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 12:57 am

Programs: TK *G
Does anyone know if you can check through baggages in this scenario?
  • SIN-CPH on SQ ticket stock (first PNR) on award
  • CPH-KEF on SK ticket stock (second PNR) on revenue, booked separately (1h 20m connection at CPH)
I understand SQ and SK has interline agreement, but not sure if anyone has tried checking through bags all the way to KEF, from SIN?
Old Jan 27, 2024, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by hardworking21
Assuming your bags are checked through, you'll clear immigration in FRA (as that's your first port of entry into EU), but you won't have to re-pickup your bags. You'll get your bags in VIE (or wherever your final destination is in the EU, assuming your bags are checked through).

Source: I used to fly JFK - FRA - (elsewhere in Europe) monthly for work, with bags checked through to the final destination. Immigration was always at FRA (first port of entry), with bags picked up at the final destination (customs).
hardworking21 Would you think I will be good with 2 hours to make this connection assuming the bags do get checked through? Thanks again!
Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by jbright
hardworking21 Would you think I will be good with 2 hours to make this connection assuming the bags do get checked through? Thanks again!
Yes, assuming no delays in your flights, ~2 hours in FRA to make clear immigration and go to your Schengen gate is definitely possible!
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:09 am

Programs: Stanby life since 2007
SQ SIN - PVG 6:30am arrival
JL PVG - HND 8:50am departure

Separate tickets. Is this a legal minimum connecting time for PVG? SQ should be able to check bags all the way through. How likely would SQ will be able to issue JL boarding passes in SIN?

Trying to utilize the 72 hour no visa transiting in PVG, but the 2:20 transit is giving me anxiety.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 5:12 am

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire/*G, Starlux Explorer, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by san88
SQ SIN - PVG 6:30am arrival
JL PVG - HND 8:50am departure

Separate tickets. Is this a legal minimum connecting time for PVG? SQ should be able to check bags all the way through. How likely would SQ will be able to issue JL boarding passes in SIN?

Trying to utilize the 72 hour no visa transiting in PVG, but the 2:20 transit is giving me anxiety.

Thanks in advance.
Somebody else might be able to better interpret all of this...but I think this might indicate SQ will want 3hrs at PVG for a connection?

Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:57 pm

Trying to understand the interlining policy:

I'm considering booking separate tickets from Male to Melbourne via Singapore, with a layover of 2.5 hours.

SQ - Male to Singapore
Inbound flight scheduled to land at 9pm
Qantas - Singapore to Melbourne outbound flight scheduled to depart at 11.30PM

Will be purchasing tickets seperately through each airline so will the interlining policy be allowed?Or more than likely, will I need to clear customs, collect bags, and drop off at check-in again?

Any insights or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:10 pm

two separate tickets on two different airlines/alliances with only 2.5 hours is all too risky business for me personally, without even worrying about interlining bags yet
Old Feb 9, 2024, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by fras1901

I'm considering booking separate tickets from Male to Melbourne via Singapore, with a layover of 2.5 hours.

SQ - Male to Singapore

Will be purchasing tickets seperately through each airline so will the interlining policy be allowed?Or more than likely, will I need to clear customs, collect bags, and drop off at check-in again?

most likely SQ will interline. But then if SQ flight is delay, you will have to sort it out with QF.

and even if SQ does not interlink, you should be able to use the transfer desk at the transit area.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
most likely SQ will interline. But then if SQ flight is delay, you will have to sort it out with QF.

and even if SQ does not interlink, you should be able to use the transfer desk at the transit area.
getting mixed reports on if those desks are still operating, and if so if they are in the way they used to. During and immediate post covid they werenít. But are they back? I guess I could walk 300m out of TPR and go ask, so if I have time I will 😂
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by fras1901

SQ - Male to Singapore

The policy is to check luggage through when all flights are in one ticket or PNR. Everything else is goodwill and SQ is extremely generous when it comes to that goodwill. There is ZERO entitlement to have bags checked through.
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
This is the first time I’m attempting this and information on this thread has been valuable.

I’m on the SQ flight to MAN (arriving 915a) and have a separate ticket on LH (MAN-MUC-BEG) which leaves at 1055am. Based on the above, it looks like it’s possible to check my bags through (esp since both are *A) but wanted to check with the group esp since LH is T1 (vs SQ T2 @ MAN)
Old Feb 28, 2024, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Singapore Airlines Gold
Question interlining an SQ redemption to a cash fare

I wasn't able to tell from previous answers, perhaps someone cane help: if flying BWN - SIN on *redemption* then SIN - DPS with cash, both booked directly with SQ, are they likely to allow me to check luggage all the way through (KrisFlyer elite gold)? It is 1h50 min connection, though if wanting to be safe I could move to 3h30.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.